Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page 10 months in, hit the wall big time, cant make a ball.
Reply
Page 3 of 3 123
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute
 
BilliardsAbout's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gainesville, FL
   
06-21-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
I "third" that baloney!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
You must be joking!


-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#32)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute
 
BilliardsAbout's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gainesville, FL
   
06-21-2019, 05:54 AM

In honor of the tsuris, I just sent numerous messages to a great number of folks, offering them a free one-hour lesson, no obligation, including folks who've already had free lessons from me.

You are all correct, I need to do more to help others, this is a great first step.

Thanks!


-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool
  
Reply With Quote
Lesson no value
Old
  (#33)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Globe AZ
   
Lesson no value - 07-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochoke View Post

(took a hour lesson from a big time pro, got nothing at all from it) so im not sure spending more money going that route is the answer.

E
As someone who has taken a lot of lessons I can sympathize. Most instructors teach what they teach. They have an agenda and start everyone at one point and go step by step. If they ever get to your issue before you go broke you get help.

It is rare for an instructor to analyze YOU, find your issues and help you fix them. There are some good ones. Scott Lee is helpful in this way. He believes in video so you can see for yourself what you are doing.

For me (non instructor) when I go trough this I simplify things. Not necessarily all straight in stop shots but how about some relatively easy shots with a specific target to regain your focus. You know you will make the shot so there is positive reinforcement and focusing on landing in a specific small round circle helps you fine tune. After you get your focus back you can make the shots tougher.

BTW the drill you are doing is one of the most frustrating for me. It takes me forever to go up one ball. I am stuck on 5 balls at 50% and have been there for a long time. I switched to a basic straight pool type drill to run as many balls as I can. Two days ago I did 137 in 10 racks and came right back on a 29 for the next 10. Life just isn't fair. Best wishes to you fellow struggler..
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#34)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute
 
BilliardsAbout's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gainesville, FL
   
07-02-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
As someone who has taken a lot of lessons I can sympathize. Most instructors teach what they teach. They have an agenda and start everyone at one point and go step by step. If they ever get to your issue before you go broke you get help.

It is rare for an instructor to analyze YOU, find your issues and help you fix them. There are some good ones. Scott Lee is helpful in this way. He believes in video so you can see for yourself what you are doing.

For me (non instructor) when I go trough this I simplify things. Not necessarily all straight in stop shots but how about some relatively easy shots with a specific target to regain your focus. You know you will make the shot so there is positive reinforcement and focusing on landing in a specific small round circle helps you fine tune. After you get your focus back you can make the shots tougher.

BTW the drill you are doing is one of the most frustrating for me. It takes me forever to go up one ball. I am stuck on 5 balls at 50% and have been there for a long time. I switched to a basic straight pool type drill to run as many balls as I can. Two days ago I did 137 in 10 racks and came right back on a 29 for the next 10. Life just isn't fair. Best wishes to you fellow struggler..
Unfortunately, you are correct. I took flack here for posting an article where I detailed one student's journey to get a fix that cost him many thousands of dollars and wasted years of frustration.


-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#35)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 16,315
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
   
07-02-2019, 07:01 AM

It has been three weeks since the OP posted here. I'm wondering if he found anything useful in this thread.


Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#36)
judochoke
AzB Silver Member
judochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Oct 2018
   
07-04-2019, 11:11 PM

yes I did find very usefull information on my thread. I did take a couple days off from shooting, but I had to get back to the table, as I really enjoy practicing. empty household, all the kids are married and have moved out, the wife still works, im retired. so she goes into her room to read and relax, and I have the radio on and practice.

after a couple of days of still sucking, all of a sudden things made a huge turnaround for me.started slowing down, started thinking about each shot and how to get to where I wanted to go. did some drills, started out by beating the ghost with 6 balls in rotation, and now im back up to throwing or breaking with all 9 balls.

of coarse I still get out of line, but im playing much better. coming up on my one year of playing pretty much ever day, (July 27). and im thinking I will need another year to get to where I want to be.

you guys have been a huge help for me, and im on this site everynight reading and watching the daily pool video. thanks again boys, see you in a year
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#37)
KenRobbins
AzB Silver Member
KenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2010
   
07-06-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochoke View Post
yes I did find very usefull information on my thread. I did take a couple days off from shooting, but I had to get back to the table, as I really enjoy practicing. empty household, all the kids are married and have moved out, the wife still works, im retired. so she goes into her room to read and relax, and I have the radio on and practice.
You got yourself a good woman there. I took a year off work, anymore then that she would've kicked me out of the house. Just a tip, don't use all your testosterone up practicing, save some of that for the wife. lol

A family member of mine decided to retire to travel the country in his motorhome and take me along to shoot pool. He thought his wife was going to continue to work. That didn't work out to well. She quit her job the day he retired from his. He's collecting his retirement, but also working another full time job while she's enjoying her retirement now.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. Not sure if she would've let him keep the motorhome. lol
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#38)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,682
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2010
   
07-18-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRobbins View Post
You got yourself a good woman there. I took a year off work, anymore then that she would've kicked me out of the house. Just a tip, don't use all your testosterone up practicing, save some of that for the wife. lol

A family member of mine decided to retire to travel the country in his motorhome and take me along to shoot pool. He thought his wife was going to continue to work. That didn't work out to well. She quit her job the day he retired from his. He's collecting his retirement, but also working another full time job while she's enjoying her retirement now.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. Not sure if she would've let him keep the motorhome. lol
I have found that men aren't all that understanding either when it's the woman who wants to take time off to shoot pool.


Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#39)
KenRobbins
AzB Silver Member
KenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond reputeKenRobbins has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2010
   
07-18-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I have found that men aren't all that understanding either when it's the woman who wants to take time off to shoot pool.
I was only kidding around about my wife kicking me out of the house. She's more then welcomed to join me or go solo with whatever she chooses to do. She spends about 2 months total a year in Florida taking care of her parents. She goes down for 2 weeks at a time every other month. I stay behind to take care of the responsibilities around the home. We've been together 22 years. I don't see anything going wrong at this point, we're very settled. I got me a good woman too.

The story about my family member is very true. I'm grateful my relationship with my wife is not like that.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 3 123

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.