Gandy table ID?

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got this used 9' Gandy today. Can anyone ID the model (a Big G?) and how old? What's it worth (I think I got a real good buy at $350)?

The mechanic thinks it might be from the 60's but it doesn't seem worn enough to me. There are no ID marks anywhere except for the Gandy label. It had a former life in a pool hall, it has drop pockets, 1" framed slate and the corner casting are chrome painted over in a gloss black (that would look real nice if they weren't all chipped up). The skirts are laminate covered particle board.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN4538.jpg
    DSCN4538.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN4535.jpg
    DSCN4535.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN4537.jpg
    DSCN4537.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCN4536.jpg
    DSCN4536.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN4539.jpg
    DSCN4539.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 318

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I haven't worked on a LOT of Gandy's, but isn't that a Big G? If everything structural is good, I'd say that's a hard deal to beat, yeah!

windward

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big G

Looks like a Gandy Big G. I have had 2 of them. Hard to determine age. That is a good deal. Properly set up it will play as good as a GC.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I've researched the Hustler has and arch along the bottom of the legs and an arched stretcher between the legs. This table has straight legs/stretcher/aprons. Hey, I'm no expert, but I don't think it's a Hustler. I'm just hoping to get an idea of the age and model of the table.
Steve

windward

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big G

The label, the frame, and the style of the legs, all look identical to my Big G. Mine is about 20 years old.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Windward...
Thanks, I'm tending to agree it's a 'newer' Big G, particularly if the label look like yours. A few other things... from the moderate wear my guess is that this table's about 25 years old. The aprons are 1/2" laminate covered particle board curved over along the bottom edges. The stretcher between the legs is 1/2" laminate covered plywood. There's a few holes in the frame that might have once been for a ball return. The cushions appear to be original but surprisingly they're still pretty lively, I can get about 4 lengths rebound with a hard hit.
Steve

windward

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the money, $350, it's by far the best table you can buy. I paid $800 for mine and put another $700 into rebuilding it. Extended rails, Brunswick super speed rubber, new Simonis 860 and a top notch mechanic. Now I have a table that plays as good as any, and better than most.