Jay Helfert resigned as Tourney Director at the US Open

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I agree with his decision. Considering the board was up, it shouldn't change.

What makes it more ludicrous is others on the board that never entered like Jeremy Jones who while not entering was on the board & Daz gets a forfeit walk to round 2? Why couldn't Hoppe play in Jones place instead of getting a guy to drop out?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
LOL.
WHAT?!
Wow, this Open gets better by the minute.

For the first time in 15 years the money is right (Thank you Pat Flemming) and all sorts of OTHER stuff is going on.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member

What makes it more ludicrous is others on the board that never entered like Jeremy Jones who while not entering was on the board & Daz gets a forfeit walk to round 2? Why couldn't Hoppe play in Jones place instead of getting a guy to drop out?

Good point.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member

Let's not forget that Darren was playing in the 14.1 on Sunday, and arriving at the Open late.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL.
WHAT?!
Wow, this Open gets better by the minute.

For the first time in 15 years the money is right (Thank you Pat Flemming) and all sorts of OTHER stuff is going on.

Probably the other stuff was always going on. But the money was such an overpowering issue, no one noticed.

I'd say we are making improvements. Best improvement would be for Barry to go away completely, and Pat take over the entire event.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I'm only guessing, but it sounds like Barry stepped in, and Jay made a stand.

Once the brackets are up, that should be it..... period.

Probably the other stuff was always going on. But the money was such an overpowering issue, no one noticed.

I'd say we are making improvements. Best improvement would be for Barry to go away completely, and Pat take over the entire event.

I agree completely, barry needs to go away :eek:

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
People used to get mad at late comers to a Sunday night bar tourney that I ran, I can't imagine them not complaining at the Open.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Didn't Alan already decline the invite to play...? Something is off here.

I can't wait for Jay's side of this.... someone grab my Crown and Diet Coke, I mean my popcorn.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I guess Barry fits the "pattern" seen all too many times. Just because some people have money they think that they can "call the shots" and everyone should bow down to them. Kudos to Jay for taking an ethical stand against his terrible decision.

It's unfortunate that Jay walking away might mean that he won't get paid, all because Barry is too big for his britches....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will Jay and Barry make up? Will Jay return this week as director? Will Jay return in future years? The Young, and the Restless!

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
In the pool universe their are three rules that govern all things:
Rule 1:
*** Barry will always act like Barry. It's in his nature.

Rule 2:
*** Jay is always right...or at least almost NEVER wrong (on anything pool related) and will never compromise his principles.

Rule 3:
*** Refer to 1 and 2.

Nick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Well , that sucks for Jay. Flew there on his dime and probably might get partial payment .
Never mind that the event might be a little shady now.

gwk9ball

Pool Junkie
Silver Member
Good job Jay, Barry is lucky he's got the open, any other tournament and he would already have been done, I have got the finals the last couple years and I have to turn the volume down when Barry starts his drunken rants because I can't stand it, hopefully someone credible ( Pat) can take over and make the open even better then it is.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If Jay walked....he'll be back, once the issues & tissues have left the E. Coast scene.
Having said that; we'll just have to play the rack out, and see what transpires from this situation.

I'm glad Jay took a stance till the situation changes. Great promoters are far and few between, and for one to ''walk away'' from this venue says allot about the underlying issues that don't ''go away''.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No sympathy from me for Jay. He made the right decision, but was also one of Barrys most vocal supporters leading up to the open.