A Cue Case Observation

Willieboy

Registered
I had been shopping for a nice leather cue case for my new Mezz cue. I wanted a nice, plain leather case, but couldn't really find what I was looking for at a price I could afford. So, I bought a 2X4 Mezz case for over $250 and the case is made of plastic. It's a nice case as plastic cases go but man, that is a lot of money for a plastic cue case. The prices are really out of control. When I get another $250, I'm going to buy an hour on a psychiatrist's couch. I really need to get my head examined for spending that much money on a plastic cue case.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had been shopping for a nice leather cue case for my new Mezz cue. I wanted a nice, plain leather case, but couldn't really find what I was looking for at a price I could afford. So, I bought a 2X4 Mezz case for over $250 and the case is made of plastic. It's a nice case as plastic cases go but man, that is a lot of money for a plastic cue case. The prices are really out of control. When I get another $250, I'm going to buy an hour on a psychiatrist's couch. I really need to get my head examined for spending that much money on a plastic cue case.

If you do not like it return it. If you like it enjoy it. Screw the shrink. Spend your money on yourself

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should have spent another $50 on an Instroke. Not the nicest leather, but it's leather and I think the cowboy model is a solid buy. Great interiors and cue protection most importantly. If I hadn't finally gotten my hands on a Chuck Fields case I'd still be using one.

And if you want to spend less than Instroke, give up on leather and get a JB rugged case, cannot be beat for the price and offers excellent cue protection.

Willieboy

Registered
Should have spent another $50 on an Instroke. Not the nicest leather, but it's leather and I think the cowboy model is a solid buy. Great interiors and cue protection most importantly. If I hadn't finally gotten my hands on a Chuck Fields case I'd still be using one.

And if you want to spend less than Instroke, give up on leather and get a JB rugged case, cannot be beat for the price and offers excellent cue protection.

What do you think of Talisman cases as opposed to Instroke?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What did they say it was made of? Was it advertised as anything other than plastic or did they not mention what it was made of?

There is a difference.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you think of Talisman cases as opposed to Instroke?

Never see a Talisman case in person. Just looked them up, look interesting, curious how e interiors are. Without having first hand experience and knowing they're solid, I'd still go Instroke.

Willieboy

Registered
What did they say it was made of? Was it advertised as anything other than plastic or did they not mention what it was made of?

There is a difference.

No there was no trickery going on. I knew it was not a leather case. I knew is was some kind of vinyl and it is a nice case. The material reminds me of a product called Naugahyde that was used in car interiors during the sixties, before the cheaper vinyl was substituted. I am simply saying we are being charged too much for plastic.

Willieboy

Registered
Never see a Talisman case in person. Just looked them up, look interesting, curious how e interiors are. Without having first hand experience and knowing they're solid, I'd still go Instroke.

From what I can see, the Talisman Tribal cases use stitching, rather than rivets and I like that.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 3x5 Talisman Tribal in Black that I purchased from Tony back in 2006. Love the case and the way it is made, also like that you don't see them in every pool hall like Instroke or Predator.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The red one is $200.

Nice too. I thought it was on the board. Started a new thing. Bumping isn't a priority so I forget too.
Nick :)

Attachments

• casesforsale2.JPG
    casesforsale2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 919

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
can we see the case? I don't recall a Mezz butterfly for $250. Of course I stopped tracking the competition closely a couple years ago so I am a bit rusty.

On the subject of pricing though, we price primarily based on a formula that takes the costs plus the minimum we want to make to arrive at a retail price. When our costs go up the retail goes up accordingly.

I think that some of our competitors use our prices to price their work at the same level as ours even if their costs are way lower. In other words you might NOT be getting what you pay for.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie.....return the case and get a refund.

For what you paid, I'd part with one of my Instroke 4x8 soft leather or 3x7 hard leather cases.

That's a lot of money for plastic of any variety. If I'd sell you a case for that price, others also will I'm sure.

Put a thread up and see what offers you get.....cash seems to be king and that's on your side.

Matt B.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
The prices are really out of control. When I get another $250, I'm going to buy an hour on a psychiatrist's couch. I really need to get my head examined for spending that much money on a plastic cue case.

I'm a f/t Psychotherapist, no $#!+. Here's my 2 cents worth; are you going to lay on your death bed regretting the few bucks you spent on yourself that made you feel good?

If the answer is yes, then you really do need to see a mental health professional.

You only live once my friend. Enjoy the case. Best wishes, -Steve

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
X2 on the Instroke cases.I have two rather old cowboy cases with chrome hardware.
I can't say about new ones,but have been happy with the ones I have.