Dufferin Conversion

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for opinions on a Dufferin conversion of a red leaf one piece dufferin cue to a true sneaky pete= cue is 19 0z, it has been cut into 2 equal parts- 29 inches each- cue is straight and shaft is in great shape= what is the optimum way to rejoin the cue- should i do pin in shaft or pin in butt? would it be OK to do a 3/8 10 pin in butt and just wood thread in shaft- or should I go with 5/16 screw in butt and brass insert in shaft?

Would like to know the reason for your choice=Thanks!

Shaft is 12.75MM first 12 inches from tip. My preference is 3/8 10 pin in butt and just wood thread in shaft-

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 359

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for opinions on a Dufferin conversion of a red leaf one piece dufferin cue to a true sneaky pete= cue is 19 0z, it has been cut into 2 equal parts- 29 inches each- cue is straight and shaft is in great shape= what is the optimum way to rejoin the cue- should i do pin in shaft or pin in butt? would it be OK to do a 3/8 10 pin in butt and just wood thread in shaft- or should I go with 5/16 screw in butt and brass insert in shaft?

Would like to know the reason for your choice=Thanks!

Shaft is 12.75MM first 12 inches from tip. My preference is 3/8 10 pin in butt and just wood thread in shaft-

The 3/8 10 pin and just wood threads on the shaft should work for you. You can add a Phenolic ring on both sides of the joint if you prefer.

Mario

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure they are 29" each. Most Dufferin one piece were 57" long. It may be 58" if it is a Chinese one.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Shafts with no collars or inserts are liable to split .
Cutting a Duff in half would also mean the joint size is small.
I used to cut them around the 25" mark and extend the length.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure they are 29" each. Most Dufferin one piece were 57" long. It may be 58" if it is a Chinese one.

Definitely not Chinese- this one is at least 35 years old- they may in fact be 28 1/2 each- so yes it is a Canadian Dufferin - Thanks for reminding me - I did not do the cut- a woodworker did it for me and I have not actually measured the equal halves, so I was just eye balling the length.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shafts with no collars or inserts are liable to split .
Cutting a Duff in half would also mean the joint size is small.
I used to cut them around the 25" mark and extend the length.

Do you mean the shaft may split while the cue maker is threading the shaft to accept a 3/8 10 pin or that the shaft will split during usage, even if it is not used as a break cue at all? I own a Stenback sneaky pete- no collars and it is 3/8 10 with wood thread in the shaft- no shaft insert- to date I have had no problems, but are problems common on this type of set up? Thanks!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Do you mean the shaft may split while the cue maker is threading the shaft to accept a 3/8 10 pin or that the shaft will split during usage, even if it is not used as a break cue at all? I own a Stenback sneaky pete- no collars and it is 3/8 10 with wood thread in the shaft- no shaft insert- to date I have had no problems, but are problems common on this type of set up? Thanks!

While in use .
A phenolic insert or collar is your cheapest insurance .
Or you can switch to 5/16 screw with brass insert .