How do you download Billiard Buzz ?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to have a copy of the 1st issue, but cannot figure out how to do it.

It's "Billiards" with an "s." :D

I notice in the print article announcing the launch of the magazine on the front page and elsewhere, folks are leaving off the "s." Yet on the cover of this online magazine, there most definitely is an "s." :eek:

I do not know if you can download it. When I tried, it says I must be logged into ISSUU. As well, it is in PDF format, so maybe Adobe can help with downloading, though I am not sure.

Check out the "s" on the magazine cover.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 154

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As well, on the "Message from the Editor" (Jerry Forsyth), they have included "The" in the title of the magazine.

Most punctuation sources state to italicize the name of a print media. For example, in D.C., the newspaper we have is the "Washington Post." It's official name is "The Washington Post" with a "The" in its actual name. It looks as if the same is true with AzBilliards' online magazine: "The Billiards Buzz" -- with an "s" and with a "The."

Jerry has italicizied "The" in his Message from the Editor, as some punctuation sources state is proper, though "The" is not in the front cover name of the first issue.

According to some punctuation resources -- "In writing the titles of newspapers, do not italicize the word 'the," even when it is part of the title (the New York Times) -- they state to *not* italicize the "The" in a newspaper's name in print. In this regard, it would be the Washington Post. Source: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/italics.htm

Does anybody really give a hoot? Nope. Nobody except one who deals with print matter as their job would notice, and that's me. It's an occupational hazard, unfortunately or fortunately, for myself. I notice things like that, and 99 percent of the public does not. :embarrassed2:

Below is an illustration of the first two pages of The Billiards Buzz (with an "s" and a "The") and the name of the Nation's Capital's newspaper with a "The." :D

In sum, it's not Billiard Buzz or The Billiard Buzz. It is The Billiards Buzz (with a "The" and an "s") or Billiards Buzz (with an "s" and sans the "The") for quick reference purposes. :cool:

And it is an excellent online magazine. I predict a good following and strong future for this. The tournament coverage is excellent and sorely needed in the pool world. Bravo to AzBilliards (with an "s"). :wink:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another example of spelling of entity names that can be confusing is Walmart versus Wal-Mart.

Walmart is the name of the store that you shop at. Wal-Mart (with a hyphen) is the name of the corporate company that owns Walmart.

Nobody really cares about this unless you're going to court. Legal folks pay100 percent attention to this, and it could make or break you in a legal matter if you don't get the spelling of the entity names correct.

Another little oddity in entity names is the soft drink Dr Pepper. Did you know there is no period after "Dr" in the soft drink Dr Pepper?

Again, in casual conversation and on forums, I guess proper spellings and punctuation does not matter, but me personally, I enjoy using correct punctuation and spelling when I can to keep me in shape. It's what I do for a living. :grin-square:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 161