Introducing the youth to cue-sports!

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
'Has he discovered a template?'

Time and again I hear that, the key to keeping pool alive is to get the youth involved with the game. Well, Mr. Steve Strange from North San Diego County, California may have found a way to facilitate this in middle and high schools across the country. Be sure to listen and share this week's discussion on American Billiard Radio and learn about Steve's very simple approach to bringing cue-sports back to public education.

This Week: "The Strange Development"
http://www.americanbilliardradio.com

This could be something special for the future of cue-sports:

SoCal Billiard Academy website:
http://www.socalbilliardacademy.com

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Programs That Expose Youth to Pool.

Great star with the "Play Pool During Lunch Program".

The Boys Clubs USED to have pool tables.
This is where I learned the rules and most important, the etiquette and sportsmanship of Billiards.
Sadly no one took care of the expense for the cloth and labor to redo them.
Now there are more tables in the youth centers.
Also, no one volunteered to,teach the kids.

Sadly there are no organized programs for youth & beginners at billiards rooms.
There are laws not allowing youth to be in a billiard's establishment even on the day on the weekends.
Rooms should have free lessons on Saturdays, midday.

The public needs to see billiards in their world.
How about trick shot shows in a local mall with sign-up sheets for a free lesson and frequent shooter cards?

I think pool and snooker work in Europe and Asia because their societies are more patient and not so quickly bored like us people in the US.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
He should separate the Instructor portion of the website from the Youth Program portion.

First thing a parent sees upon visiting the site is a bunch of 20-somethings drinking alcohol. No exactly the right impression for a parent to say "yeah, I want my kid involved in that."

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should separate the Instructor portion of the website from the Youth Program portion.

First thing a parent sees upon visiting the site is a bunch of 20-somethings drinking alcohol. No exactly the right impression for a parent to say "yeah, I want my kid involved in that."

I agree with you completely. I want to get away from the alcohol and did not mean for those pictures to be on there. The site is a work in progress and will continually be updated. I appreciate your suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
The website just went active yesterday, and I probably should have asked Steve before sharing the link.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I know folks hate the "gamers" which the kids play today. My son has his buddies over all the time for gaming. They are 17 and 18. Yeah, they will occasionally play some pool. But only after hours of gaming.

But you'd be hard pressed to argue with why it's popular; The top 30 gamers on the planet are all millionaires. One retired in his 20's and then became CEO of one of the gaming companies.

Sumail Hassan
◾Total earned: $2,408,632.14 from 30 tournaments
◾Age: 18
◾Current Team: Evil Geniuses
◾Earned his first $1,000,000 at age: 16

This doesn't meet we have to give up, just means we do have some tough hurdles to overcome.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Games Make More Money Than Movies

I know folks hate the "gamers" which the kids play today. My son has his buddies over all the time for gaming. They are 17 and 18. Yeah, they will occasionally play some pool. But only after hours of gaming.

But you'd be hard pressed to argue with why it's popular; The top 30 gamers on the planet are all millionaires. One retired in his 20's and then became CEO of one of the gaming companies.

Sumail Hassan
◾Total earned: $2,408,632.14 from 30 tournaments
◾Age: 18
◾Current Team: Evil Geniuses
◾Earned his first $1,000,000 at age: 16

This doesn't meet we have to give up, just means we do have some tough hurdles to overcome.

Games Make More Money Than Movies and Really Are Not That Different Just No Live Scenes to Shoot. Just Voice Over Actors or Celebs That Want to Do Voice Overs. No Location Shots. Saved Money.
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/inves...ls-in-more-revenue-than-movies-music-cm634585

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Games Make More Money Than Movies and Really Are Not That Different Just No Live Scenes to Shoot. Just Voice Over Actors or Celebs That Want to Do Voice Overs. No Location Shots. Saved Money.
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/inves...ls-in-more-revenue-than-movies-music-cm634585

So just keep focusing on the problem?

Offering your support and/or resources is the goal here. If your jaded and think you know why pool is losing to the masses of technology and distractions, I don't blame you but the fact is that, this grassroots program is working and beginning to take hold. If you care about this topic, you should listen to the interview with an open mind and ask yourself what you can do, not just what you can say.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not quite accurate mchnhed. There are MANY Boys & Girls Clubs across the country that still have pool tables. I know, because I volunteer at several of them every year. There are organized youth programs too...you're just obviously unaware of them. The BEF is connected to youth programs in almost every state, and it is increasing in participation every year...not decreasing. Within the PBIA we are working with every professional instructor to go out into their communities and be hands-on with young people, to get them interested and excited about pool. Instead of complaining about how things used to be, which is part of the problem...be part of a solution. Why don't YOU do something where you live to get youth involved with pool?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Great Start with the Play Pool During Lunch Program.

The Boys Clubs USED to Have Pool Tables.
This is Where I Learned the Rules and Most Important the Etiquette and Sportsmanship of Billiards.
Sadly No One Took Care of the Expense for the Cloth and Labor to Redo Them and Now There are No More Tables in the Youth Centers.
Also, No One Volunteered to Teach the Kids.

Sadly There Are No Organized Programs for Youth & Beginners at Billiards Rooms.
There are Laws Not Allowing Youth to be In a BIlliards Establishment Even On the Weekends.
Rooms Should Have Free Lessons on Saturday Midday.

The Public Needs to See Billiards in Their World.
How About Trick Shot Shows in a Local Mall with Sign-Up Sheets for A Free Lesson and Frequent Shooter Card?

I Think Pool and Snooker Work in Europe and Asia Because Their Socities are More Patient and Not So Quckly Bored Liked Us People in the US.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Where Can I Help?

Not quite accurate mchnhed. There are MANY Boys & Girls Clubs across the country that still have pool tables. I know, because I volunteer at several of them every year. There are organized youth programs too...you're just obviously unaware of them. The BEF is connected to youth programs in almost every state, and it is increasing in participation every year...not decreasing. Within the PBIA we are working with every professional instructor to go out into their communities and be hands-on with young people, to get them interested and excited about pool. Instead of complaining about how things used to be, which is part of the problem...be part of a solution. Why don't YOU do something where you live to get youth involved with pool?

Scott Lee

I'm with you on this Scott. Please Let Me Know Who/Where in Los Angeles I Can Help Out.

Thank You for All You Do.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee
deleted by Low500

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
This is NOT meant to get you, personally.
#1 How many?
#2 How many different ones did you volunteer for so far this year?

I Think Those Questions Could Go Out to Everyone Reading This Thread.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Scott Lee

I just made a Donation to the BEF that will be matched. I didn't know of the organization.

People, Please donate while your contribution will be matched.

I'm going to search for and contact local youth centers to help out.

Last edited:

okinawarob

Registered
Steve I am happy to see the success of your students and those kids who get excited when the enter the classroom. It's nice to know the kids want to stay in a positive environment after school and your need for a waiting list is great for the game. Be sure you update the positive constantly for the parents and future educators who will look at this model as something they want to replicate in other locations. YMCA, Boy and Girls Clubs or Pool Halls across the world can see their benefit from working together to promote and protect our sport. I hope you gain more sponsorship and wish you and all your students success. I'm glad I was able to go see it first hand and meet the leaders who shared your vision and positive thinking.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve I am happy to see the success of your students and those kids who get excited when the enter the classroom. It's nice to know the kids want to stay in a positive environment after school and your need for a waiting list is great for the game. Be sure you update the positive constantly for the parents and future educators who will look at this model as something they want to replicate in other locations. YMCA, Boy and Girls Clubs or Pool Halls across the world can see their benefit from working together to promote and protect our sport. I hope you gain more sponsorship and wish you and all your students success. I'm glad I was able to go see it first hand and meet the leaders who shared your vision and positive thinking.

Rob, it is such an amazing feeling helping these students. Once I get to know the students I am able to figure out what way they learn the best. The students have benefited greatly from watching your videos as well as those donated by Tor Lowry. At the same time, these are 11-14 year olds at the school. For some of them they need the hands-on instruction for it to really sink in the purpose behind each piece of information they are given. I couldn't agree more about everyone working together for the benefit of the sport. That is the only way to succeed. What's the old saying? "United we stand, divided we fall"

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great star with the "Play Pool During Lunch Program".

The Boys Clubs USED to have pool tables.
This is where I learned the rules and most important, the etiquette and sportsmanship of Billiards.
Sadly no one took care of the expense for the cloth and labor to redo them.
Now there are more tables in the youth centers.
Also, no one volunteered to,teach the kids.

Sadly there are no organized programs for youth & beginners at billiards rooms.
There are laws not allowing youth to be in a billiard's establishment even on the day on the weekends.
Rooms should have free lessons on Saturdays, midday.

The public needs to see billiards in their world.
How about trick shot shows in a local mall with sign-up sheets for a free lesson and frequent shooter cards?

I think pool and snooker work in Europe and Asia because their societies are more patient and not so quickly bored like us people in the US.

Depends on where you are, I know many kids that play all the time in pool halls at any hours, and even full out bars had allowed my son to play in league with me.

w314-h168-p-k-no

The main picture on the facebook page of the pool hall I play out of is a kid playing pool in the room LOL

https://www.facebook.com/TheBilliardsCafe/

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on where you are, I know many kids that play all the time in pool halls at any hours, and even full out bars had allowed my son to play in league with me.

w314-h168-p-k-no

The main picture on the facebook page of the pool hall I play out of is a kid playing pool in the room LOL

https://www.facebook.com/TheBilliardsCafe/

Yeah, I was a little confused about the pool halls not letting kids in. Especially in Hollywood. Every room I have gone to in L.A. Was kid friendly. The parents who play pool know how good pool can be for the kids. It is those that don't play that we need to convince to let their kids play.