Uniloc quick release joint

michaelsu51216

Registered
Heard alot of bad feedback about this joint but its literally the only joint option predator produces now, is it worth paying to have it switched to a radial?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heard alot of bad feedback about this joint but its literally the only joint option predator produces now, is it worth paying to have it switched to a radial?

Theres nothing wrong with the joint. IMO, no, its not worth changing.

I would recommend joint protectors with the uniloc for the reason of keeping dirt/debris out of the joint.

When people have problems with them, its usually crud in there.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the best joint for dampening feedback to the butt. There's a thread somewhere that shows an X-Ray of this joint which reveals little bondage between the two pieces. Also every shaft you buy will cost more, so the cost also depends on the life of the butt. Personally I think the Uni-Loc QR is a bad choice because it adds far too much invariable weight to the center of the stick.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Millions of cues with the uniloc in use, if there was an inherent problem that would not happen. Never had a uniloc problem, have had 3/8-10 get sticky. Dirt.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only problem I have had that is tends to loosen sometimes. I just tighten. You can buy revo predator cues with their radial joint.
I understand that they will custom make other joints if you have a butt you like to keep.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I tell people who are new to Pool who Cue that has a Unilock, use a dry Q-Tipos to keep it clean, and troble free.

Never put oil on a Uni-Lock, as it may never open again.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a +10 year old P2 with a uniloc joint and a 5 year old Ikon with a uniloc joint. All I do is wipe down my cues, joints, and joint caps with a clean cloth (t-shirt) after play and have never had an issue. No locking or coming loose. Maybe once a year I’ll use a qtip with 90% rubbing alcohol to clean in between the threads. Pretty sure this is on the maintenance section of preds/uniloc website. Even then I’ve only down this maybe 3-4 times in the existence of my cues and have never had a problem.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a +10 year old P2 with a uniloc joint and a 5 year old Ikon with a uniloc joint. All I do is wipe down my cues, joints, and joint caps with a clean cloth (t-shirt) after play and have never had an issue. No locking or coming loose. Maybe once a year I’ll use a qtip with 90% rubbing alcohol to clean in between the threads. Pretty sure this is on the maintenance section of preds/uniloc website. Even then I’ve only down this maybe 3-4 times in the existence of my cues and have never had a problem.

See above.
My 10 year old Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo cue with uniloc has never given me any problems.
My personal opinion is as long as the shaft is tight to the butt the pin makes no difference what type it is.
Bill Stroud hall of fame cue maker invented this joint.
I think he knew a bit more about joining cues then us players.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
They were really good when they were made in the US.
Now, the screws are made in Mexico.
They are no longer as polished as the original ones.
Sometimes the brass insert will have chip offs.

My late mentor had a brand new shaft lock up on a cue one time. It would not come off. Luckily it had a little movement so he dropped some oil in the gap.
After a day, it finally un-joined.

The joint itself is fine. Very convenient and it is absolutely the straightest joint there is. It does get loose during play after a while but it's a good habit to tighten your cue while thinking on a shot anyway.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
N
They were really good when they were made in the US.
Now, the screws are made in Mexico.
They are no longer as polished as the original ones.
Sometimes the brass insert will have chip offs.

My late mentor had a brand new shaft lock up on a cue one time. It would not come off. Luckily it had a little movement so he dropped some oil in the gap.
After a day, it finally un-joined.

The joint itself is fine. Very convenient and it is absolutely the straightest joint there is. It does get loose during play after a while but it's a good habit to tighten your cue while thinking on a shot anyway.
Not as polished? Get some mcquires fine cut cleaner buffing compound from Walmart or harbor freight. And polish it...makes an old cues clearcoat look new too....works good on cars (its intended purpose). Also polishes Silver or stainless jewelry.
Strait is strait. The unlock is no straiter than any other pin joint setup. And besides Mezz has the best joints in the United And wavy joint systems.
Personally don't care for unblock quick release. They do come loose its happened to me a few times and i almost never play with a quick release cue. Never has happened to me with a regular radial three eightsx10. Five 16x14. United or wavy.
What is it a turn and a half? Threads need about three full turns to be secure.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I polish every joint screw I install. From the manufacturers, they are tumbler polished. Tumbling is ok but it leaves scratches. Takes no time at all to polish the section sticking out of the joint.

Attachments

• IMG_160622_185412.jpg
    IMG_160622_185412.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
N

Not as polished? Get some mcquires fine cut cleaner buffing compound from Walmart or harbor freight. And polish it...makes an old cues clearcoat look new too....works good on cars (its intended purpose). Also polishes Silver or stainless jewelry.
Strait is strait. The unlock is no straiter than any other pin joint setup. And besides Mezz has the best joints in the United And wavy joint systems.
Personally don't care for unblock quick release. They do come loose its happened to me a few times and i almost never play with a quick release cue. Never has happened to me with a regular radial three eightsx10. Five 16x14. United or wavy.
What is it a turn and a half? Threads need about three full turns to be secure.
Clear coat polisher won't polish those screws.
You need metal polisher and a buffer.

No such thing as best joints..
Straight is straight.

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It won't??? Boy what's all the metal colored stain what comes off on a white rag when I use it to polish stainless? They make a heavy cut version of it as well. Polish is polish

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also can use it on a strop to get a razor sharp edge on your knives

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not only does predator make their high end Panteras in a radial joint but they also started making their P3's in both Uniloc and Uniloc Radial so that you have an option. I have the new Bacote P3 in radial. Also, all their new Sneaky Petes are exclusively radial joints. I'm not going to go on an anti-Uniloc diatribe, but I have to re-tighten my BK Rush every once in a while. So much so, that I have got into the habit of tightening the cue before every break.

DeeDeeCues

It won't??? Boy what's all the metal colored stain what comes off on a white rag when I use it to polish stainless? They make a heavy cut version of it as well. Polish is polish

Likely just oxidation or dirt.

Use metal polish compounds for metal. Things like black emery, white diamond, tripoli, etc..

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Predator Uni-Loc on a player, (Throne), and my current breaker a BK3.
Never had to clean the player and it worked flawlessly for the year I used it.
The BK3 does loosen up though so I'm in the habit of checking before I break.
I've played with almost all of the other popular joints and never had any preference.

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 years with a Unilock joint on a Predator P3 with zero issues. I've had tables in my last 2 houses and play racks daily.