My first overhaul

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last weekend I had a few fellows help me while I re-felted and re-cushioned a cheap pool table. It had some kind of gypsum or Perlite-kind of bed to it. Whatever it was, it was not slate. It was flat and level, anyway.

I ordered Championship Tour Edition 70/30 % felt and K-66 cushions.

With all the little incidental repairs to the framework of the table, rails, bolts, featherboards, shims, etc., it took the equivalent of two full work days.

But, it turned out really nice.

The old cushions were K-55 and they had seen better days. I really like the 66's.

I'm sure there are better felts out there, but I'm really very satisfied with the one I ordered.

It was fun re-doing the table. It is now a real pleasure to play on it.

(One thing I was a little surprised to learn was how very little felt there is to work with. We had to stretch it very tight in order to make it fit!)

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table Number Two Coming Up

My next project will be an 8 foot 70-year old Brunswick for the Senior Center. I can't wait. It should be lots of fun changing the old felt for some new Championship Tournament cloth. This table is as good as any I've seen except the new Diamonds.

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just fyi k-55's are not interchangeable with k-66's the table is made to have on or the other but not both.

what is the height of the nose of the cushion?

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just fyi k-55's are not interchangeable with k-66's the table is made to have on or the other but not both.

what is the height of the nose of the cushion?

On my first table, I set the height at 1&13/32nds inches all the way around all rails (about 62% if I can now remember.)
At this time I do not plan on changing the cushions on the Brunswick.

Thank you for your reply.:smile:

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set the height at 1&13/32nds inches all the way around all rails (about 62% if I can now remember.)

Thank you for your reply.:smile:

you may have made the right choice. hard to say.

the Brunswick will not take k-55's or k-66's unless you modify the subrails. so if the cushions are good and original then leave them. Otherwise use k-55's that playing area will be smaller but the rail height will be correct.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you may have made the right choice. hard to say.

the Brunswick will not take k-55's or k-66's unless you modify the subrails. so if the cushions are good and original then leave them. Otherwise use k-55's that playing area will be smaller but the rail height will be correct.

I'm going to leave the existing cushions on. Could these be the U-23's, or some other kind of cushion?

Thanks, again.

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think U23's are for some older coin-op tables. The old brunswick profile including the cushions for all gold crowns I-III are not made anymore..... If you want the new cushions to fit the subrail has to be modified to accept them. Alternatively you can put k-66 on and set them very low on the strip. That's what I did and it plays great with the correct 50 x 100 table size. But it's not the "right" thing to do.

BTW I am not a mechanic. Just couldn't find a good one in the area and had to make do with what I had using the info here on AZ.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think U23's are for some older coin-op tables. The old brunswick profile including the cushions for all gold crowns I-III are not made anymore..... If you want the new cushions to fit the subrail has to be modified to accept them. Alternatively you can put k-66 on and set them very low on the strip. That's what I did and it plays great with the correct 50 x 100 table size. But it's not the "right" thing to do.

BTW I am not a mechanic. Just couldn't find a good one in the area and had to make do with what I had using the info here on AZ.

Thanks for all your input. It's very helpful.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just finished this old Brunswick table on Saturday afternoon. Friday afternoon when I started the tear down of the rails, etc., I noticed that the previous installer had installed K-66 Velocity rails. They were actually in good shape and I left them on. The table came out beautifully. Two of us had a total of ten hours each involved in the new bed cloth and 6 rails makeover.