House cue/one piece cue anyone?

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if anyone shoots exclusively with a house or one piece cue?

I've decided to sell off all my cues, and go back to my old Dufferin house cue. I made a tube to carry it to the pool hall in, and will be playing with it exclusively.

To be completely honest, I have not found anything that plays better or as good for that matter. So, a plain one piece, and a Triangle tip.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I met a guy with one
I tried it,nothing special just like about every other cue i tried

Whatever floats your boat

Whatever you gotta tell yourself about the equipment
More power to you

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_20180905_201350460~2.jpg
    IMG_20180905_201350460~2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 587

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I read, Bugs didn't even own a cue. He played with house cue, or would borrow one.

So you are in good company.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with it. In fact I love the feedback of a non-jointed cue. I've always had a fantasy of converting one of them to a wooden ferrule and putting a moori M tip on it. So it would truely be an all wood cue. The best part of it would be that you could go to every pool hall in the vicinity, pick out the best hitting one and buy it. And since you own it you could make sure it stays pristine.

My snooker and pool cues are now both 3/4 jointed, meaning the shaft part is longer than the butt part. The next logical step is not having any joint what so ever. When you find a truely sweet hitting one piece cue, there's nothing like it. The feedback and control is out of this world. Sadly, many of them are made quite sloppily, and it's tougher and tougher to find a really good one. Almost easier to have one custom made. But of course you could always go through a ton if you have many pool halls around. I don't think any of them will mind you buying one of their cues.

Last edited:

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Yes sir. Own several cues, but rarely bother to carry them. I love house cues, 1 piece in general. I've never held a 2 piece, that felt the same, or had as solid of a hit, and way less vibration.

The rotation master agrees with us :grin:.
https://youtu.be/U5w16ZN2VYY

Does anybody know this guy, has he ever played a tournament?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tIM SCRUGGS TOLD ME THAT CUE MAKERS WERE ALWAYS TRYING TO DUPLICATE THE HIT OF
of a one piece house cue,they were the best

in the 70s a boy named Louie Harper and I would hustle pool together
he was really a great player and he used a house cue

several times he turned down my offer to use my 2 piece cue

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It may not be true with all 1-piece house cues, but I found that the four I have that came with the home table are a tad butt-heavy, at least the 20 and 21-ounce ones are. The 19-ounce is O.K. to play with and the 18-ouncer is even better, but I prefer the balance of a 2-piece cue better.

Maniac

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Enjoy your 1 pc....make it portable.

Attachments

• IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 532

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I knew a guy who carried his Valley house cue around with him.
The biggest hassle for him was having to carry his receipt to prove he bought it every once and a while.

I would probably buy a purple heart Valley Supreme house cue, retaper the shaft, and change the tip & ferrule.
Probably be a strong player just becaue they make great 2-piece sneakies.

Carrying them around is the main reason for 2-piece cues in the first place.
For me it was the hassle of finding one on the wall that was straight, had a good tip, and 19 ounces or so.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me

I have a josswest laying on the shelf collecting dust, I have 7 titlist conversions, 65 or 70 of my custom cues, also now I am making carbon fiber shafts, But I play with a 57 inch brunswick house cue, it had an ivory ferrule on it when I bought it, also has the pearl v wedge in butt. Plays great.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Diveney converted a house cue for me back in 2010 using one of his shafts with leather wrap and pin joint. Still using it today :thumbup:
Thanks Pat!

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a josswest laying on the shelf collecting dust, I have 7 titlist conversions, 65 or 70 of my custom cues, also now I am making carbon fiber shafts, But I play with a 57 inch brunswick house cue, it had an ivory ferrule on it when I bought it, also has the pearl v wedge in butt. Plays great.

How many carbon shafts are you making desi?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tIM SCRUGGS TOLD ME THAT CUE MAKERS WERE ALWAYS TRYING TO DUPLICATE THE HIT OF
of a one piece house cue,they were the best

in the 70s a boy named Louie Harper and I would hustle pool together
he was really a great player and he used a house cue

several times he turned down my offer to use my 2 piece cue

Josey told me the same thing a number of years ago.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I must be in the minority; I paid a lot of money to have something that hit better than a house cue. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Middle 80s....I went looking for some good house cues....they had to be used for a while...
...so I would know they stood the test of time.
Must’ve looked at a few thousand...still a lot of rooms back then in Southern Ontario.
...they just were’t good enough....even the straight ones...if the tip was taken off, the
ferrule would be thick on one side and thin on the other....off center.

I found one that was acceptable (four point ebony) but a friend ran a 147 with it....
....so I gave it to him.

The trouble with house cues, and I don’t blame them, is the machining and the actual
wood is not top quality.

The only one piece cue I’ve seen that compares to a high end two-piece was made by
Omin out of Thailand....it was straight, symmetrical, and had great balance.

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I found two in one room that are excellent. Both have great grain structure, hit as good or better then any high end two piece cue and play fantastic. They are both older cues, and are dead straight.

I've owned thousands of dollars worth of high end cues including South West, and wish I had done this year's ago. I know it's hard for everyone to admit that their cue costing thousands hits, and plays no better then a $40 house cue, but it's true.

Middle 80s....I went looking for some good house cues....they had to be used for a while...
...so I would know they stood the test of time.
Must’ve looked at a few thousand...still a lot of rooms back then in Southern Ontario.
...they just were’t good enough....even the straight ones...if the tip was taken off, the
ferrule would be thick on one side and thin on the other....off center.

I found one that was acceptable (four point ebony) but a friend ran a 147 with it....
....so I gave it to him.

The trouble with house cues, and I don’t blame them, is the machining and the actual
wood is not top quality.

The only one piece cue I’ve seen that compares to a high end two-piece was made by
Omin out of Thailand....it was straight, symmetrical, and had great balance.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
To be fair theres one house cue at a slick willies that was pretty straight and weight/balance that appealed to me

But i can find that in many cues, rather have a 2 parter thats easier to haul around