World Cup of Pool 2018 Thread

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He pushed it, kind of like Alex did on that easy nine ball he missed to win/lose a recent match (I think it was in the Bigfoot Challenge this year).
The s^*t ran-up his neck. Simple as that. We've all done it. Still brutal to watch.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know on what basis the bronze medal was awarded to Chinese Taipei? There doesn't appear to have been a 3rd-4th place match and they lost 9-7 in the semi while China B lost 9-8. On count back racks won-lost over the course of the competition?

That confused me too...but if you notice there were 2 medals left on the table at the end, also by the end China B showed up.

My guess is that they simply didn't realise they were meant to show for the ceremony and so only did at the end, by which time it was to late to physically hand out the medals. Which is a shame as they deserved them (I know they'll still probably get them, but I meant deserved the presentation in front of everyone, they did well).

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That confused me too...but if you notice there were 2 medals left on the table at the end, also by the end China B showed up.

My guess is that they simply didn't realise they were meant to show for the ceremony and so only did at the end, by which time it was to late to physically hand out the medals. Which is a shame as they deserved them (I know they'll still probably get them, but I meant deserved the presentation in front of everyone, they did well).

Ah didn't see those medals - yeah that makes sense.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched many tournaments over there the crowds have never been something to write home about certainly not in the U.K. Class , and who knows what sky sports does to prop there venues up other than gambling

Fair point, not sure what they do in China to promote events as even some of the snooker crowds look pretty empty. Interestingly for Chinese 8-Ball the crowds are often behind the camera so you don't always get to see how big they are...I wonder if thats deliberate :)

As a side point, when the Mosconi Cup started off tickets were free, all you had to do was ring up, give your name and then make sure you got there early enough.

It was a smart move by Matchroom as it developed a following and now it sells out every year. I don't see why the WCOP should be any different, its a great event!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Maybe Wang was still too upset about how they lost to show his face. It will take him a long time to get over that one.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I saw.

I watched many of the matches on You Tube and WOW! Wu and Kevin Chang are scary good 9 Ball players. So many were good.

One thing was apparent to me though, like last year, Team U.S.A. did real well. Shane and Skyler hung tough and got beat by a great team. They also did well last year. It seems like when a two man U.S. team plays a two man team from any other country they have a good chance.

If Wu and Kevin Chang played together could any other two man team beat them?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched many of the matches on You Tube and WOW! Wu and Kevin Chang are scary good 9 Ball players. So many were good.

One thing was apparent to me though, like last year, Team U.S.A. did real well. Shane and Skyler hung tough and got beat by a great team. They also did well last year. It seems like when a two man U.S. team plays a two man team from any other country they have a good chance.

Orcollo and Biado, my Philippine dream team. :wink:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one thing that stood out to me in this tournament was how easy the table played. There were so many shots made that would never fall on a Diamond. Some were just absurd.. JMO!!!!!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why no Orcollo this year?
Do you know how they pick the players in Philippines?

It looks like it's not uniform how the players get chosen to represent the country.

He turned it down to stay here and play in the Asian Culture event and Buffalo's One Pocket tourney, He didn't want to fly to Shanghai and then right back to the U.S. Too much long distance travel will take a tool on your pool game! Just ask Shane. :)

P.S When Dennis is here I'm amazed at how much he crisscrosses the states to play in tourneys. For example in one month he went from New York to Texas to Virginia (drove!), to Wisconsin, back to Virginia, to California, then Vegas and now on to New Orleans. I'm worn out just thinking about it. He needed a four day break when he got to California. He told me he was burned out from the non stop travel and pool playing. After four days he was back to hitting balls ten to twelve hours a day!

Last edited:

big_worm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My pick for the best pair would be Wu and Ko (Pin Yi). They went to school together and grew up together, so they should have good chemistry. Plus, they're both world champions!

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After four days he was back to hitting balls ten to twelve hours a day!

Just out of curiosity what is the time structure of his practice session? How much of drills, playing ghost, etc.? How long before he makes a pause to take a rest?:confused: :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity what is the time structure of his practice session? How much of drills, playing ghost, etc.? How long before he makes a pause to take a rest?:confused: :)

Maybe four to five hours just breaking the balls in Ten Ball, rack after rack for an hour or so, maybe a ten minute break and then back at it. After that he breaks and runs Ten Ball racks for a few hours, working on any shot that gives him trouble. He may take a couple of smoke breaks for 5-10 minutes during this time. After all this it's time for a food break and Dennis likes to go out and grab something. Usually he's back in less than an hour. Now he's ready to do it all over again for a few hours more. He may play me some Bank Pool, giving me 5-4 or 11-5 in One Pocket. I will win a game once in a while. :wink:

All and all twelve hours of pool in one day on my tough Diamond table is not unusual. I can't tell you how many times I've woken up at 6 AM to the sound of him breaking balls! I would say that 8-10 hours of practice is a short day for him. To say that he takes his pool game seriously would be a huge understatement. This is a man who truly wants to be the best on the planet!

P.S. You asked about him playing the ghost. What I can tell you from sitting and watching him run racks after the break in Ten Ball without BIH, is that he KILLS the ghost! It blows me away how easily he runs out tough rack after tough rack, getting position on all kinds of difficult layouts. I should take a video of his practice session one time just so people can see for themselves how good he plays. IMO Dennis Orcollo is a scary good pool player. His practice sessions are a cause of wonderment for me time and time again. I've seen him shoot so many seemingly impossible shots that nothing he does on a pool table surprises me any more. What also amazes me is that he does miss once in a great while. I'm always stunned when I see him miss a shot. It's just so unlike him.

Last edited:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe four to five hours just breaking the balls in Ten Ball, rack after rack for an hour or so, maybe a ten minute break and then back at it. After that he breaks and runs Ten Ball racks for a few hours, working on any shot that gives him trouble. He may take a couple of smoke breaks for 5-10 minutes during this time. After all this it's time for a food break and Dennis likes to go out and grab something. Usually he's back in less than an hour. Now he's ready to do it all over again for a few hours more. He may play me some Bank Pool, giving me 5-4 or 11-5 in One Pocket. I will win a game once in a while. :wink:

All and all twelve hours of pool in one day on my tough Diamond table is not unusual. I can't tell you how many times I've woken up at 6 AM to the sound of him breaking balls! I would say that 8-10 hours of practice is a short day for him. To say that he takes his pool game seriously would be a huge understatement. This is a man who truly wants to be the best on the planet!

P.S. You asked about him playing the ghost. What I can tell you from sitting and watching him run racks after the break in Ten Ball without BIH, is that he KILLS the ghost! It blows me away how easily he runs out tough rack after tough rack, getting position on all kinds of difficult layouts. I should take a video of his practice session one time just so people can see for themselves how good he plays. IMO Dennis Orcollo is a scary good pool player. His practice sessions are a cause of wonderment for me time and time again. I've seen him shoot so many seemingly impossible shots that nothing he does on a pool table surprises me any more. What also amazes me is that he does miss once in a great while. I'm always stunned when I see him miss a shot. It's just so unlike him.

Thanks for the insight, very much appreciated!!! ;) Practicing break shot is definitely very important, hopefully his back endures such lenghty punishment, if I practice my break shot for 30 mins my lower back starts killing me :confused: :p I definitely like his work ethic, its inspirational :) And maybe you can setup a live stream from his practice session some time, I would definitely watch :)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

What a slacker!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is an amazing example of work ethic and dedication Dennis has. As merek said, it's inspirational and defines what it takes to be a professional pool player.

I saw a video of him giving a tour of his apartment in the Philippines and every wall was filled with trophies.

Jay, thanks for the insight and perspective.