Opinions on 9-Ball Tourney Hill/Hill Controversy

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a big 9-ball tourney yesterday for our regulars. In the final match, where the difference between 1st and 2nd place was over $500, in the hill/hill game, player A was left with a tough cut in the side pocket or a side pocket bank shot on the 9-ball. Rules are strict call pocket on the 9-ball except when it is absolutely obvious - such as a bank, carom, or sharp cut, which are not obvious. Player A failed to call his pocket, but made the bank shot in the side.

His opponent, player B, claimed he did not call his pocket, which he admitted, but claimed it was obvious where he was playing it. A conflict ensued, whereby player A claimed it was clear where he was playing it - both players were "A" ranked players. After a short argument, player A said to spot the 9-ball and for player B to shoot. Player B missed but left him tough. Player A then missed and left a fairly easy shot and raked the balls and stormed out, claiming he was robbed. Ruling was made in favor for player B. Opinions regarding the correct call in this situation? - Thanks

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We had a big 9-ball tourney yesterday for our regulars. In the final match, where the difference between 1st and 2nd place was over $500, in the hill/hill game, player A was left with a tough cut in the side pocket or a side pocket bank shot on the 9-ball. Rules are strict call pocket on the 9-ball except when it is absolutely obvious - such as no bank, carom, sharp cut, etc. He failed to call his pocket, but made the bank shot in the side.

His opponent, player B, claimed he did not call his pocket, which he admitted, but claimed it was obvious where he was playing it. A conflict ensued, whereby player A claimed it was clear where he was playing it - both players were "A" ranked players. After a short argument, player A said to spot the 9-ball and for player B to shoot. Player B missed but left him tough. Player A then missed and left a fairly easy shot and raked the balls and stormed out, claiming he was robbed. Ruling was made in favor for player B.
Opinions as to how this controversy. - Thanks

You gave the answer yourself - "Strict call pocket on the nine ball and that includes bank shots." Sounds like the player just forgot to call the shot and was trying to cover up for his error by being outraged.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
We had a big 9-ball tourney yesterday for our regulars. In the final match, where the difference between 1st and 2nd place was over $500, in the hill/hill game, player A was left with a tough cut in the side pocket or a side pocket bank shot on the 9-ball. Rules are strict call pocket on the 9-ball except when it is absolutely obvious - such as a bank, carom, or sharp cut. Player A failed to call his pocket, but made the bank shot in the side.

His opponent, player B, claimed he did not call his pocket, which he admitted, but claimed it was obvious where he was playing it. A conflict ensued, whereby player A claimed it was clear where he was playing it - both players were "A" ranked players. After a short argument, player A said to spot the 9-ball and for player B to shoot. Player B missed but left him tough. Player A then missed and left a fairly easy shot and raked the balls and stormed out, claiming he was robbed. Ruling was made in favor for player B.
Opinions as to how this controversy. - Thanks

Two suggestions:

1. You could ask that the players (both of them) set up the balls as they were for that shot and if they agree to what they have recreated then they can ask for a decision from the TD as to whether this was, in fact, an obvious shot, though you did state that banks aren't obv.

2. Going forward, the 9b must be called regardless of how obvious - no more controversies/bad feelings. :wink:

best,
brian kc

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't call pocket really played to keep a player from winning on a slop shot.

If everybody watching knew where he was trying to make the ball it should be a non issue imo

If a player really wants to win like that i guess it's worth a try but seems like a nit move to me.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
If the ball had 2 potential obvious shots, then it needed to be called.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You explain to Player B that between two strong players that shot is obvious but he will win the match if he takes advantage of this strict rule interpretation. Ask him if he really wants to win that way, and caution him that it would severely affect his reputation. Then give him the choice. Even if they agree to it, I wouldn’t let them spot the shot back up and reshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
We had a big 9-ball tourney yesterday for our regulars. In the final match, where the difference between 1st and 2nd place was over $500, in the hill/hill game, player A was left with a tough cut in the side pocket or a side pocket bank shot on the 9-ball. Rules are strict call pocket on the 9-ball except when it is absolutely obvious - such as a bank, carom, or sharp cut, which are not obvious. Player A failed to call his pocket, but made the bank shot in the side.

His opponent, player B, claimed he did not call his pocket, which he admitted, but claimed it was obvious where he was playing it. A conflict ensued, whereby player A claimed it was clear where he was playing it - both players were "A" ranked players. After a short argument, player A said to spot the 9-ball and for player B to shoot. Player B missed but left him tough. Player A then missed and left a fairly easy shot and raked the balls and stormed out, claiming he was robbed. Ruling was made in favor for player B. Opinions regarding the correct call in this situation? - Thanks

No question, Player B wins... next question!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A...I think player A is very careless

B...I think player B is a nit

C...I don’t like call-shot 9-ball....:angry::angry::angry:

Brings out the bar rules crowd

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Yeah, but what do you know about 9 ball anyway? :eek: :duck: :eek:uttahere:

Lyn

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I love call the 9 rules, no worry about bad rack causing a win when 9 flies in the corner, or when you are playing someone a 5-2 race the 2 can't miss a shot and win by making the 9. A and B are spot on though. B was technically correct, the best kind of correct https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo

I let kicks go on called shots when the ball went in the most obvious pocket even if the person did not call it. I was playing 8 ball once and shot a ball near another ball, did not touch anything but the ball I hit and the back of the pocket. The guy said "can you call the shot so I know what you are doing". In my experience the people that yell about rules like this are the most likely to try to cheat them themselves.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yeah, but what do you know about 9 ball anyway? :eek: :duck: :eek:uttahere:

Lyn

Not much, apparently.....I made seven balls on the break once...
....and lost the game...:speechless:

Guess I should’ve spent some time learning how to push.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You gave the answer yourself - "Strict call pocket on the nine ball and that includes bank shots." Sounds like the player just forgot to call the shot and was trying to cover up for his error by being outraged.
Yep. He's just got a major case of the "butt hurts".

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The correct call here is that player B wins because he said player A didn’t call the pocket and player A admitted as much. If I were player B I wouldn’t have called player A on not calling it and if I were player A I’d put my hands up and say yep I should have called it you win but if I were player A I would have called the shot. Player B may be unsporting to call player A out but that doesn’t give player A the right to be unsporting back (well actually it does but it doesn’t change the fact that player B wins).

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You explain to Player B that between two strong players that shot is obvious but he will win the match if he takes advantage of this strict rule interpretation. Ask him if he really wants to win that way, and caution him that it would severely affect his reputation. Then give him the choice. Even if they agree to it, I wouldn’t let them spot the shot back up and reshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And I agree 100% with this too. Player B is still in the right though, unfortunately.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

Bank shots, kick shots, carom shots, billiard shots, are not obvious and must be called, period. Being obvious to the shooter does not qualify as being obvious to the opponent of these 4 types of shots. Other shots are obvious and need not be called.