Posting Photos

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to be I could upload a photo without worrying about the file size. It seemed like AZ would trim it as needed. More recently files won't upload unless they are first reduced tremendously in size. Did something change here or is it me?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I think max resolution on upload pics is 1000 x 900

try to upload photos that are smaller than 200 Kb, use medium photos on smartphone.

screenshots work well, but not high res images.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think max resolution on upload pics is 1000 x 900

try to upload photos that are smaller than 200 Kb, use medium photos on smartphone.

screenshots work well, but not high res images.

Maybe Mike will see this thread, tho' probably not. I've been posting images without thinking about size for years. Something has changed.

justnum

Silver Member
Maybe Mike will see this thread, tho' probably not. I've been posting images without thinking about size for years. Something has changed.

I can't remove photos I added,

If I try to delete photos, I get sent to an error page.

I would report it as a bug, but I am pretty sure my account will be useless soon.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't remove photos I added,

If I try to delete photos, I get sent to an error page. ...
If you do an edit on the post and "Go advanced" and then click on "Manage Attachments" you can "Remove" attachments. Or at least that works for me on my desktop.

As for posting images, if your image is more than about 1000 pixels wide, it causes problems for people who view it.

In the past when loading image files, they had to be less than about 250kB or the upload would be rejected. I just tried a 1.3MB file -- which is more than enough for any image that's going to be on your screen -- and it worked. I notice that AZB compressed the file which was not a high resolution image to start with. I believe that if the upload handler cannot reduce the file below a certain size the upload will fail.

I tried a 3MB file and it failed even though it was only 1700 pixels wide. If I reduce the file to 2MB it will upload and the file size is reduced to 197kB. It's possible that the reduced size has to be under 200k.

justnum

Silver Member
So your an accomplished 14.1 player and good at computers.

Usually their is a setting for image uploads and the two main adjustments for byte size and pixel size.

But now we are talking vbulletin and not AZ.

I will try the work around. Thanks.

Only works on one post at a time.
On the old vbullet I could batch delete all my uploads one click.

If you do an edit on the post and "Go advanced" and then click on "Manage Attachments" you can "Remove" attachments. Or at least that works for me on my desktop.

As for posting images, if your image is more than about 1000 pixels wide, it causes problems for people who view it.

In the past when loading image files, they had to be less than about 250kB or the upload would be rejected. I just tried a 1.3MB file -- which is more than enough for any image that's going to be on your screen -- and it worked. I notice that AZB compressed the file which was not a high resolution image to start with. I believe that if the upload handler cannot reduce the file below a certain size the upload will fail.

I tried a 3MB file and it failed even though it was only 1700 pixels wide. If I reduce the file to 2MB it will upload and the file size is reduced to 197kB. It's possible that the reduced size has to be under 200k.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Something changed with the forum a few months ago, where it stopped resizing larger photos down to a decent size when uploading. I dug through settings and could not figure it out at the time. I know the issue will be resolved when we migrate the forums to a new platform and I kind of put the issue on the back burner.

justnum is right on the suggested size though.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something changed with the forum a few months ago, where it stopped resizing larger photos down to a decent size when uploading. I dug through settings and could not figure it out at the time. I know the issue will be resolved when we migrate the forums to a new platform and I kind of put the issue on the back burner.

OK so I'm not crazy. It is also possible that as phones have gotten better the file sizes have grown over 2 meg. Maybe that is the limit as Bob suggests. Next time I'll remember to take photos in a lower res.

Let's get on with the migration -- winter is coming! :smile:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Got a ton done on the new AzB this last week. Another two weeks like this and I’ll be ready to launch it.

Then I’ll think about the forums move.

Mike

justnum

Silver Member

Green sent your way. I understand programming challenges, I hope it didn't come across as snobbish.

Sounds like you got it covered with the migration.

Mental

I wanna play pool now
Used to be I could upload a photo without worrying about the file size. It seemed like AZ would trim it as needed. More recently files won't upload unless they are first reduced tremendously in size. Did something change here or is it me?
I'm currently trying to make a post with photos from my android and it keeps saying file size too big and no option to resize. Been on Google searching how to resize image because Android gallery won't let me unless I'm missing something