Motor going out or brushes?

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have pics, can't figure how to load a vid. But I was doing alot of sanding and have had the motor since 2009. Its a DC 1/2 hp? motor, it started sputtering acting like it didn't want to spin, and in the back you can see spark flashes through the air slots.

Opinions?

Tyia,
Nathan Brugmann

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I don't have pics, can't figure how to load a vid. But I was doing alot of sanding and have had the motor since 2009. Its a DC 1/2 hp? motor, it started sputtering acting like it didn't want to spin, and in the back you can see spark flashes through the air slots.

Opinions?

Tyia,
Nathan Brugmann

Take the brushes out and have a look. Worn out brushes will start to have a black look to the wear surface instead of a shiny copper look. If they are black on the wear surface replace them. If they are not worn out replace the motor.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If it's a Penn Industries motor, the brush covers are probably loose, As stated above, take out the brushes, look them over, I usually flatten them on the ends, and then reinstall. Should fix it.
Dave

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
picture.php

Top brush is shorter AND has a broken spring.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Take the brushes out and have a look. Worn out brushes will start to have a black look to the wear surface instead of a shiny copper look. If they are black on the wear surface replace them. If they are not worn out replace the motor.

Totally incorrect!! The brushes are compressed carbon and are always black.

tsp&b

Silver Member
The symptoms that you are describing are usually caused by the brushes not making good contact with the armature. this can be caused by several things. It can often be solved by simply running the motor in reverse for a few minutes. It is not a bad idea to do that every once in a while. If that does not fix it then remove and inspecting the brushes for any damage, clean the brush holder and the armature with a little compressed air, then rotate the brushes 180 degrees and re-install them. It appears to me like the top brush is slightly more worn than the other that is not unusual. it is caused by just having a little more spring pressure on that brush. The caps should be adjusted som the brushes make contact with the armature but too much pressure will cause the brushes to wear more quickly and create more carbon dust. If that does not solve the situation there is also a few other things that can be the problem. The power supply/ speed control unit or possibly the motor windings. but that would not be too likely.

Again looking at the wear on the top brush and the spring, I would consider replacing brushes. ( message or email me)

Last edited:

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The symptoms that you are describing are usually caused by the brushes not making good contact with the armature. this can be caused by several things. It can often be solved by simply running the motor in reverse for a few minutes. It is not a bad idea to do that every once in a while. If that does not fix it then remove and inspecting the brushes for any damage, clean the brush holder and the armature with a little compressed air, then rotate the brushes 180 degrees and re-install them. It appears to me like the top brush is slightly more worn than the other that is not unusual. it is caused by just having a little more spring pressure on that brush. The caps should be adjusted som the brushes make contact with the armature but too much pressure will cause the brushes to wear more quickly and create more carbon dust. If that does not solve the situation there is also a few other things that can be the problem. The power supply/ speed control unit or possibly the motor windings. but that would not be too likely.

Again looking at the wear on the top brush and the spring, I would consider replacing brushes. ( message or email me)

Seriously appreciate the help Todd. I'm going to check my local ACE and see if they have them. If not, Grainger is right down the block from ACE lol. If I strike out, I will def let you know! Thanks again!

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ace hardware had a couple that fit the brush holders. Little longer than the stock ones, and the springs are quite a bit longer...but they work. The motor has new life to it. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions guys!

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

change the brushes every few years........ if they wear down to the springs....... it frys the commutator with a swirling ring of fire...........if you have done that............ get a new motor

Kim