The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe everything Dr Dave has documented is at least scientifically sound. I don't always agree with certain specific applications but pool is by and large a solo performance with all the liberties of such genre.
Curious though, link me to where he misunderstands GM. :shrug:

Point out a wrong one.

pj
chgo

Gene has already stated right here that the perfect aim info on Dr dave's site is wrong. And we all know the CTE info is wrong. I'm sure there is more but i have no interest in his site.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geno has been selling his DVD, and Lesson like 11 years on AZB. So who has been his student that became the next Efrin, Earl, Johnny, other other World Class Pool Player?

I am all ears to hear.

Would being a world class player be the only way of verifying that Gene's info is solid and very good?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Would being a world class player be the only way of verifying that Gene's info is solid and very good?

No but it would sure prove the point that his system is super duper. I have said it before, and will say it again.

Aiming is one part of the big picture, if you do not have the other skills, you still will be a "C' or "B" Player.

This perfect aiming thing is like saying if the great Efrin Reyes aka The Magician played with a McDermott Merry Widow, and LePro Tip, you could be as great with the same equipment.

Pool Players are like Golfers, always looking for some new tool to make them great. It not the tool, club, driver, ball, cue, tip that make the greats, great.Its their skill, work ethic on being great, that make they great.

Sorry no magic pill for sale to make you anything except light in the wallet if you beIoeve the salesman.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
So I've been thinking about this eye thing more.

I know I'm right eye dominate so I tried a little experiment. I closed my left eye and picked my aim line while up at the table. Got down on the ball, made sure I was still on the right line and shot. It worked. I mean, this shouldn't be surprising that you can shoot with one eye closed. I've heard of hustlers shooting with both eyes closed, and if you've ever had one too many at the table, you know you see better with one eye closed. :grin: It has it's drawbacks though, depth perception is shit with one eye only. I got in line with one eye closed, briefly opened both eyes to get the depth and where I was on the cue ball. Closed the left eye and shot. It went in. I understand that this could be a huge problem if you don't understand the roll the dominate eye plays in your vision.

Trying to shoot with my left eye open and my dominate right closed... pretty shitty results. I could make some but not like before.

I guess I'm just skeptical still because I can aim, I do miss once in a while, but is it really do to bad aim, or do I just not understand the shot I'm shooting? If I miss it's usually because I'm trying to get the cue ball to do some voodoo that breaks all the known rules of physics. In a "real" game and not just practice, I wouldn't try these voodoo shots, just try to play an airtight safety, but what's the fun in that at the practice table?

I think personally my problem is, if I miss, I'm playing for super tight position, cluster breaking or something and have a perfect follow up shot, but missed putting the OB in the pocket by a bit. Is it bad aim, since CB went to where I wanted like it was on a string, or is it that I was asking too much and ignoring actually making the OB? I can't bend physics to my will and I don't see that having anything to do with aim.

I think dominate eye is super important and knowing about it. I realize no matter what style of stance you choose, your dominate eye should be in line with your cue. I've had times when my back hurt so bad I couldn't get down and couldn't get the dominate eye over the cue and played terribly. I've had that happen and twisted my body almost parallel to the rails because I couldn't bend just to get my dominate eye over the stick with decent results.

Do you think the dvd and/or lessons be worthwhile for me? I was thinking about buying the dvd since my hours have been cut at work and I really don't want to drop the extra for skype lessons. Curiosity killed the cat and all. I guess I think I know how to aim and don't really have problems with that, but would this help with the above situation, or should I just pull my head out and focus on the OB instead of worrying about leave? I guess what I'm saying is, how can I tell if it's my aim or me asking too much from physics that made me miss a shot?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@ Boogieman

By all means experiment. You are more likely to remember personal discovery than book learning.

That said, I use carpentry as a model. The carpenter uses a pencil mark or just a jig to make sure things fit. PERIOD. He'll set pieces to the geometry and most of the eyeballing is so he doesn't walk into the saw.

In a more refined form the cuemaker uses a lathe and careful prep to insure the cue you get is straighter than you can shoot.
Why undermine that by fiddling with what you see as THE STICK SHOOTS THE SHOT?

Take a lesson from the carpenter and set the stick on the shot before you get down on it. Then shoot with your heart, or mental faculties if you're into that stuff. :place smilie here:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No but it would sure prove the point that his system is super duper. I have said it before, and will say it again.

Aiming is one part of the big picture, if you do not have the other skills, you still will be a "C' or "B" Player.

This perfect aiming thing is like saying if the great Efrin Reyes aka The Magician played with a McDermott Merry Widow, and LePro Tip, you could be as great with the same equipment.

Pool Players are like Golfers, always looking for some new tool to make them great. It not the tool, club, driver, ball, cue, tip that make the greats, great.Its their skill, work ethic on being great, that make they great.

Sorry no magic pill for sale to make you anything except light in the wallet if you beIoeve the salesman.

And if you have the other skills but can't aim worth a shit, what exactly do you have.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you know this Cowboy?

Did you forget that while I was down in Arizona I won the Desert Classic Tour event?

And my first student that I had in 2009 in Phoenix, Frank Robarts took second.

It was no surprise that I won the tournament but Frank was rated only a 9 in the player rating system .

How does a player like Frank beat all the champions that he did? He was playing some of the best pool of his life. That's how.

As far as me, we all know that teachers can't play?

Then how did I win the tournament?

I guess I'm not a pool teacher at least with nothing good to teach? According to you?

Or is it I was never a world class player?

I beat allot of champions. Does that count?

How did I do that?

I guess I just got lucky. That must have been why? Just lucky.

With all the players I have helped over the years and the ones that have given glowing reviews on this thread, maybe you might just have to admit that maybe what I teach is the real deal.

Because it is my friend.

Perfect Aim is the Holy Grail of alignment and envisioning a shot. It is not anything I invented but just figured out how the eyes really work while aiming a pool shot and figured how to make it really work well with adjusting the stroke and the stance. It's a complete pool shooting system. I might not be the best teacher in the world but I do have the best information in the world on this subject for sure.

Did you notice that nobody has gotten on here and said this didn't work except the players that don't understand it and have never had a lesson.

It's called sour grapes. The fox and the grapes.

The fox walks under this arch everyday with grape vines up above. Every day the fox goes by he jumps up and tries to to grab a grape or 2.

This goes on for a week or so. He can't quit reach the grapes.

Then the fox walks under the grapes one day and looks up and says to himself.

Those grapes are probably sour anyway. He never tried to jump again.

Kind of funny.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you forget that while I was down in Arizona I won the Desert Classic Tour event?

And my first student that I had in 2009 in Phoenix, Frank Robarts took second.

It was no surprise that I won the tournament but Frank was rated only a 9 in the player rating system .

How does a player like Frank beat all the champions that he did? He was playing some of the best pool of his life. That's how.

As far as me, we all know that teachers can't play?

Then how did I win the tournament?

I guess I'm not a pool teacher at least with nothing good to teach? According to you?

Or is it I was never a world class player?

I beat allot of champions. Does that count?

How did I do that?

I guess I just got lucky. That must have been why? Just lucky.

With all the players I have helped over the years and the ones that have given glowing reviews on this thread, maybe you might just have to admit that maybe what I teach is the real deal.

Because it is my friend.

Perfect Aim is the Holy Grail of alignment and envisioning a shot. It is not anything I invented but just figured out how the eyes really work while aiming a pool shot and figured how to make it really work well with adjusting the stroke and the stance. It's a complete pool shooting system. I might not be the best teacher in the world but I do have the best information in the world on this subject for sure.

Did you notice that nobody has gotten on here and said this didn't work except the players that don't understand it and have never had a lesson.

It's called sour grapes. The fox and the grapes.

The fox walks under this arch everyday with grape vines up above. Every day the fox goes by he jumps up and tries to to grab a grape or 2.

This goes on for a week or so. He can't quit reach the grapes.

Then the fox walks under the grapes one day and looks up and says to himself.

Those grapes are probably sour anyway. He never tried to jump again.

Kind of funny.
Don't waste your time with locococo. Its the black hole of AZB.

Robert.Beak

Registered
I think one of the most important factors for a beginner, first of all, is the stand. Men and women, young and old, fat and thin, tall and short people play billiards, and obviously, finding a universal, suitable for all position of the legs and body is almost impossible, so when you approach the blow, be sure to observe three basic conditions:
comfortable and secure position of the body;
straight-line cue guidance;
cue free play

First: do not stand frontally and do not stand sideways to the impact vector. Feet should be approximately 30 to 45 degrees to the line of sight.
Secondly, we repeat, the stand should be such that the position of the body does not interfere with the rectilinear and maximally even movement of the cue with respect to the playing field. Raising the bottom of the cue by 1 cm gives an error in the hitting technique from 1 to 2%. The player who "lifts" the cue handle by 15 cm gets an excessive error rate of 15-30% !!
And third, it is recommended to keep the supporting (for right-handed - left) hand straight, which will allow us to exclude one of the variables.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This'll go 2000 pages of empty stomach like the sand worms of Dune.

This perfect aiming thing has been push on the forum since 2009, like I said I saw the DVD, it was longed to me. Thing retails for 80 bucks, non of the Pool online place carry it. It if was so great I am sure they would.

JMHO.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got some good knowledge there for sure..

I think one of the most important factors for a beginner, first of all, is the stand. Men and women, young and old, fat and thin, tall and short people play billiards, and obviously, finding a universal, suitable for all position of the legs and body is almost impossible, so when you approach the blow, be sure to observe three basic conditions:
comfortable and secure position of the body;
straight-line cue guidance;
cue free play

First: do not stand frontally and do not stand sideways to the impact vector. Feet should be approximately 30 to 45 degrees to the line of sight.
Secondly, we repeat, the stand should be such that the position of the body does not interfere with the rectilinear and maximally even movement of the cue with respect to the playing field. Raising the bottom of the cue by 1 cm gives an error in the hitting technique from 1 to 2%. The player who "lifts" the cue handle by 15 cm gets an excessive error rate of 15-30% !!
And third, it is recommended to keep the supporting (for right-handed - left) hand straight, which will allow us to exclude one of the variables.

Thank you for your educated reply.

Large tall or small we fit them all. The biggest thing I do in my lessons is help the player adjust the stance to follow the eyes. Then depending on the body they might have various challenges getting to this position and it might have to be modified. Need to show them where it needs to be and go from there. They need to be comfortable and not stretching the neck here and there and have the stroke coming as close as possible to the most dominant position.

One of the biggest problems I have run into with teaching is so many players are over 6' tall and they are using a normal length cue without an extension. Once the extension is there it only takes a few minutes to show them the benefits of having a normal stroke.

Women are built a little different and there are some challenges getting the body and the cue in a comfortable position.

The whole aiming and sighting is like a puzzle. The more pieces that are in the right place the better it works. I have strived from the beginning of teaching this to getting the puzzle in the best position that I can. Then the rest is up to them to practice ti and get the amazing results.

I do free tuneups for life with my videos and personal lessons. Anyone can call at anytime and I can run them thru the process to make sure that their puzzle is complete.

It would be impossible to to just get the eyes right and expect players to have this work 100% correct. It takes much more. This is why right now I am doing a free skype lesson with each DVD sold. It takes about 2 to 3 hours and is a pretty sporty value for 69.95 plus 10.00 S&H.

It's such an addictive game no matter what level of play and getting these things correct makes it so much more fun.

Thanks again for your great input. I know you know what you are talking about. 100% correct on your reply.

If you teach and I assume you do they are some lucky players in your area. There are many ways do do things on a pool shot. But there is only one best way. Playing at a higher level myself and teaching, I would watch about 10 pros do one thing. If most of them were doing it a certain way and I tried it myself I would teach it to the next 10 students. If I got good results with them I knew I was on the right track. Might have to modify it to fit into that players physical being but the same principle works the best for everyone. I've done this for 20 years while teaching. I don't teach pool by accidental and just try to pick up a dollar to pay the rent. I teach pool to help that player play the best pool they can. Fortunately what I teach is the best. There is no other best way. Just the way the eyes naturally work. That's why the story is still the same after 20 years with a few more important chapters as I learned to teach.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
So I've been thinking about this eye thing more.

I know I'm right eye dominate so I tried a little experiment. I closed my left eye and picked my aim line while up at the table. Got down on the ball, made sure I was still on the right line and shot. It worked. I mean, this shouldn't be surprising that you can shoot with one eye closed. I've heard of hustlers shooting with both eyes closed, and if you've ever had one too many at the table, you know you see better with one eye closed. :grin: It has it's drawbacks though, depth perception is shit with one eye only. I got in line with one eye closed, briefly opened both eyes to get the depth and where I was on the cue ball. Closed the left eye and shot. It went in. I understand that this could be a huge problem if you don't understand the roll the dominate eye plays in your vision.

Trying to shoot with my left eye open and my dominate right closed... pretty shitty results. I could make some but not like before.

I guess I'm just skeptical still because I can aim, I do miss once in a while, but is it really do to bad aim, or do I just not understand the shot I'm shooting? If I miss it's usually because I'm trying to get the cue ball to do some voodoo that breaks all the known rules of physics. In a "real" game and not just practice, I wouldn't try these voodoo shots, just try to play an airtight safety, but what's the fun in that at the practice table?

I think personally my problem is, if I miss, I'm playing for super tight position, cluster breaking or something and have a perfect follow up shot, but missed putting the OB in the pocket by a bit. Is it bad aim, since CB went to where I wanted like it was on a string, or is it that I was asking too much and ignoring actually making the OB? I can't bend physics to my will and I don't see that having anything to do with aim.

I think dominate eye is super important and knowing about it. I realize no matter what style of stance you choose, your dominate eye should be in line with your cue. I've had times when my back hurt so bad I couldn't get down and couldn't get the dominate eye over the cue and played terribly. I've had that happen and twisted my body almost parallel to the rails because I couldn't bend just to get my dominate eye over the stick with decent results.

Do you think the dvd and/or lessons be worthwhile for me? I was thinking about buying the dvd since my hours have been cut at work and I really don't want to drop the extra for skype lessons. Curiosity killed the cat and all. I guess I think I know how to aim and don't really have problems with that, but would this help with the above situation, or should I just pull my head out and focus on the OB instead of worrying about leave? I guess what I'm saying is, how can I tell if it's my aim or me asking too much from physics that made me miss a shot?

Gene, don't know if you missed this, any thoughts?

Flatfoot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, there have been quite a few good posts regarding the question asked at the beginning of this thread. I would like to just give a very brief opinion from my perspective, as a golf pro who gave his first lesson 44 years ago, and have worked with beginners through touring pros.

At the outset, I ask many questions of a student a few days prior to our initial evaluation lesson, or at the beginning of the lesson if they were scheduled very recently. These questions are in no particular order but I would like their answers to as many as possible.

1. How long playing golf?
2. Any physical limitations?
3. Avg. score or USGA handicap?
4. Biggest frustrations playing golf?
5. What are their perceived strengths/weaknesses in golf?
6. Previous lessons?
7. Any current goals in golf?
8. How often do they play/practice?
9. Other sports playing/played?
10. How would they rate their eye/hand coordination?
11. Do they believe they are a patient person?
12. How would they rate their work ethic?
13. Do they play for pleasure, business, or to be competitive?
14. Do they believe they are a competitive person?
15. Do they find practice to be helpful/not helpful/boring/fun?
16. Are they willing to work to build a better game/swing?
17. What are their strengths/weaknesses in golf?
18. Do they have subscriptions to golf publications?
19. Do they watch the Golf Channel or maybe YouTube golf instructional programs?
20. Do they know if they are right or left eye dominant? (I'll test to find out if they aren't sure)
21. Do they want to understand the physics and geometry of the golf swing or would they rather just leave all of that to me without them having to think of such stuff?

Based upon their answers to general questions like these, I may or may not ask more questions. It is extremely important for me to get inside their heads as much as possible if I am going to give them the most efficient help and also teach them how to enjoy the process much, much more than they may have ever dreamed they would.

Having said all of that, if I was to list the major reasons why people don't improve at golf, or improve very slowly, the following would be some of the basic reasons:

They practice incorrectly
They don't understand cause and effect related to the golf swing
They don't have clearly defined goals
They are too drunk on watching their ball striking quality to focus on building better fundamentals
They find practice boring
They don't believe they can get much better because they have erected prison walls around what they perceive is their talent level
They listen to too many people giving advice
They fail to have a clearly set goal for each practice session, which leads to confusion and more drunkenness on their ball striking at present
If they fail to plan, they plan to fail is a very accurate statement when it comes to improvement that is consistent and reliable

My company slogan is this; "Building World Class Golf Swings...one swing at a time!"

I can teach any golfer who has fairly good health, to have a world class golf swing. Yes, yes, I know...that sounds awfully arrogant, but once I show them how simple it really is, and show them how fast they can improve if they are willing to trust me, they are usually surprised how fast they can start to get into quality positions in their swing.

The reason why I gave my two cents in this discussion, is because the commonality between improvement at golf or pool, is dealing with human nature. When I show my students how to steadily improve, and that improvement is not left up to the gods, but is in their control, they start to break down those prison walls.

The great thing about all of that though, is that they soon see that many of the mental weaknesses they have related to golf, are the same weaknesses that keep them from more success in life, relationships, business, or maybe their acceptance of themselves, as it relates to self-esteem.

What I love about all of it, and why I am so passionate about my work, is getting to see the epiphanies people get, intermittently as we work together. I also love seeing them experience freedom that they might not have felt since childhood, when they start breaking down those prison walls, which they erected themselves over years or decades.

Flatfoot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s good to have goals.

pj
chgo

LOL...I see your point! My original intention was to keep it short, but I guess it did turn out pretty lengthy.

I guess I should have worded it differently...but to put things in context, IMHO, it would take a book to cover the entire process of things that are involved in the complexities of working with individuals with all of their idiosyncrasies, while working through the improvement process.

Not things that the student must know, but things that the teachers should be aware of, because of the fact that all students don't improve necessarily through the same methods.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
LOL...I see your point! My original intention was to keep it short, but I guess it did turn out pretty lengthy.

I guess I should have worded it differently...but to put things in context, IMHO, it would take a book to cover the entire process of things that are involved in the complexities of working with individuals with all of their idiosyncrasies, while working through the improvement process.

Not things that the student must know, but things that the teachers should be aware of, because of the fact that all students don't improve necessarily through the same methods.
I stopped teaching because I wasn't as good as I needed to be at describing things differently to different students - it was always about the way I saw things. I lacked the crucial teaching skill of being able to tailor lessons to the student.

It's not just about the teacher's knowledge.

pj
chgo

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I do Patrick.....

I stopped teaching because I wasn't as good as I needed to be at describing things differently to different students - it was always about the way I saw things. I lacked the crucial teaching skill of being able to tailor lessons to the student.

pj
chgo

The best of both worlds.

I have the knowledge and I can teach. Been teaching something all my life.

Some teachers that were trying to belittle me would say, All I teach is aiming, so far from the tooth.

I understand the game inside and out. When I do a lesson I know the player is getting a treat.

Just like Demi here in the Twin Cities. The only player/teacher that I will give my total recommendation. I know the players are getting a real treat.

One reason the teachers that I have taught this to quit teaching this is they run into road blocks. First they have to have the knowledge about how this works with the eyes, not just kinda, and then they have to know how to help the player with all the other fundamentals to fit it into their game along with tweaking the fundamentals they now have. Good or bad.

This is why skype is working out so well with the lesson. I can see and tweak their fundamentals. Most players at all levels are pretty close but close doesn't get it when we needs it be as perfect as possible.

Got to go. Lesson at 2:45. :thumbup:

Flatfoot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

You are perceptive to notice what you noticed about yourself...assuming what you said is true. I've trained and certified over 1,000 teachers through the years, and I can tell you that the minority of those teachers naturally understood about themselves, what you said about yourself.

I try to tell every teacher I work with, that they absolutely MUST know the science of what they teach...backwards and forwards. The success they achieve will be determined more though, by how well they know and use the art of instruction.

Then...there are those who know the science and the art well, but they lack the ability to demonstrate technique to virtually a world class level...which doesn't have to be.

Finally...a successful teacher should understand that they can be a gifted teacher, but lack the spirit of a teacher. That is a term I use to describe the teacher's attitude towards developing their students to the point that the student no longer needs the teacher, and pushing the student beyond what the teacher has achieved.

This takes a person who knows and understands that what they should keep in mind for their entire life is; it is always about the student, and never about the teacher. A teacher's ego should never withhold that which can make the student superior to the teacher.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO, there have been quite a few good posts regarding the question asked at the beginning of this thread. I would like to just give a very brief opinion from my perspective, as a golf pro who gave his first lesson 44 years ago, and have worked with beginners through touring pros.

At the outset, I ask many questions of a student a few days prior to our initial evaluation lesson, or at the beginning of the lesson if they were scheduled very recently. These questions are in no particular order but I would like their answers to as many as possible.

1. How long playing golf?
2. Any physical limitations?
3. Avg. score or USGA handicap?
4. Biggest frustrations playing golf?
5. What are their perceived strengths/weaknesses in golf?
6. Previous lessons?
7. Any current goals in golf?
8. How often do they play/practice?
9. Other sports playing/played?
10. How would they rate their eye/hand coordination?
11. Do they believe they are a patient person?
12. How would they rate their work ethic?
13. Do they play for pleasure, business, or to be competitive?
14. Do they believe they are a competitive person?
15. Do they find practice to be helpful/not helpful/boring/fun?
16. Are they willing to work to build a better game/swing?
17. What are their strengths/weaknesses in golf?
18. Do they have subscriptions to golf publications?
19. Do they watch the Golf Channel or maybe YouTube golf instructional programs?
20. Do they know if they are right or left eye dominant? (I'll test to find out if they aren't sure)
21. Do they want to understand the physics and geometry of the golf swing or would they rather just leave all of that to me without them having to think of such stuff?

Based upon their answers to general questions like these, I may or may not ask more questions. It is extremely important for me to get inside their heads as much as possible if I am going to give them the most efficient help and also teach them how to enjoy the process much, much more than they may have ever dreamed they would.

Having said all of that, if I was to list the major reasons why people don't improve at golf, or improve very slowly, the following would be some of the basic reasons:

They practice incorrectly
They don't understand cause and effect related to the golf swing
They don't have clearly defined goals
They are too drunk on watching their ball striking quality to focus on building better fundamentals
They find practice boring
They don't believe they can get much better because they have erected prison walls around what they perceive is their talent level
They listen to too many people giving advice
They fail to have a clearly set goal for each practice session, which leads to confusion and more drunkenness on their ball striking at present
If they fail to plan, they plan to fail is a very accurate statement when it comes to improvement that is consistent and reliable

My company slogan is this; "Building World Class Golf Swings...one swing at a time!"

I can teach any golfer who has fairly good health, to have a world class golf swing. Yes, yes, I know...that sounds awfully arrogant, but once I show them how simple it really is, and show them how fast they can improve if they are willing to trust me, they are usually surprised how fast they can start to get into quality positions in their swing.

The reason why I gave my two cents in this discussion, is because the commonality between improvement at golf or pool, is dealing with human nature. When I show my students how to steadily improve, and that improvement is not left up to the gods, but is in their control, they start to break down those prison walls.

The great thing about all of that though, is that they soon see that many of the mental weaknesses they have related to golf, are the same weaknesses that keep them from more success in life, relationships, business, or maybe their acceptance of themselves, as it relates to self-esteem.

What I love about all of it, and why I am so passionate about my work, is getting to see the epiphanies people get, intermittently as we work together. I also love seeing them experience freedom that they might not have felt since childhood, when they start breaking down those prison walls, which they erected themselves over years or decades.

This was a long post above, but the info was on the mark. Golf has two kinds of Pro-Players, Tour, and Teaching. You have to earn that designation. It is no calling yourself a Pro. Process takes time.

Most sport are similar in one respect, people want to be better, or a pro athlete, few are willing to pay the price.

Time, practice, and devoting your life to your sport. It is a full time job, not an hour a week practicing.