Bad Juma?

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Was just about done with this cue and during the final polish I realized it had a light spot on the butt cap. Thought it was in the finish and sanded it down and realize it's in the juma. And it won't sand out.

Has anyone seen this with Juma before? Is the quality of this product gone now along with so many other things?

I don't see any way to fix it. Nothing seems to blacken it. One would almost think it came from Florida but it did not.

Thanks,

005 [1600x1200].JPG

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just about done with this cue and during the final polish I realized it had a light spot on the butt cap. Thought it was in the finish and sanded it down and realize it's in the juma. And it won't sand out.

Has anyone seen this with Juma before? Is the quality of this product gone now along with so many other things?

I don't see any way to fix it. Nothing seems to blacken it. One would almost think it came from Florida but it did not.

Thanks,

View attachment 556544

Did you try India ink? It seems to blacken just about anything.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That stinks after all that work. Stain it or change it.
Just curious, what do you like about juma compared to phenolic?
I bought a piece, wasn't really crazy about it and tossed it.
I see a lot of it on different cues now. I still won't switch.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
That stinks after all that work. Stain it or change it.
Just curious, what do you like about juma compared to phenolic?
I bought a piece, wasn't really crazy about it and tossed it.
I see a lot of it on different cues now. I still won't switch.

I like phenolic ok but not crazy about the structural weave pattern no matter how fine. Is there some out there without this being visible? I use a fair amount of brown phenolic though and the weave is ok for it. Just taste I guess.

IMO Juma machines better than Tomahawk which likes to melt under light duress.

I like the color also of the ivory juma although the white material from David Warther is pretty nice there too for light joints. White tomahawk is good too.

Not as big a fan of juma as I was a couple of days ago though. :mad:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easiest after India ink is to inlay over spot. Ivory dot or something similar.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^
same as above - put your initials or logo on a small piece and inlay so only necessary to do one without much critical attention to spacing or location?

smt

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
^^^^^^^^^
same as above - put your initials or logo on a small piece and inlay so only necessary to do one without much critical attention to spacing or location?

smt

My logo is already inlaid on the opposite side of the juma in maple about five o'clock from the white spot. :frown:

Which makes doing anything other than making this black somehow very awkward.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My logo is already inlaid on the opposite side of the juma in maple about five o'clock from the white spot. :frown:

There you go, black inlay - tell 'em it covers the Pet ID chip

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

the info I pm'ed you would still work, just after the first sealer, put tape over the initials and proceed to dye it, then remove the tape and seal again. Once the finish is applied you will not notice
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like phenolic ok but not crazy about the structural weave pattern no matter how fine. Is there some out there without this being visible? I use a fair amount of brown phenolic though and the weave is ok for it. Just taste I guess.

IMO Juma machines better than Tomahawk which likes to melt under light duress.

I like the color also of the ivory juma although the white material from David Warther is pretty nice there too for light joints. White tomahawk is good too.

Not as big a fan of juma as I was a couple of days ago though. :mad:

Thank you for answering. I never paid attention to the weave in the double black phenolic. I don't see it when finished. The Juma just seems more like nylon to me. But I see it in a lot of cues.