Hard Times Bellflower

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard Times Bellflower CLOSING

Well, here goes... the rumors at HT have been spreading, most of the regulars are saying the same thing... mind you, these are poolroom rumors, have not heard anything official from the owners. House people won't confirm or deny....

Hard Times Bellflower will be CLOSING at the end of the year.

There has been a lot of RE development in the area, several buildings down the block
have been razed. Apparently, HT lost their lease for their building, and RE plans are to knock down the rest of the block.

All right, AZ... let's hear from you.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Wow, that's sad to hear, though not surprising. If it's true we're losing one of the legendary rooms of all time.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Well, here goes... the rumors at HT have been spreading, most of the regulars are saying the same thing... mind you, these are poolroom rumors, have not heard anything official from the owners. House people won't confirm or deny....

Hard Times Bellflower will be CLOSING at the end of the year.

There has been a lot of RE development in the area, several buildings down the block
have been razed. Apparently, HT lost their lease for their building, and RE plans are to knock down the rest of the block.

All right, AZ... let's hear from you.

- When you say, "Apparently, HT lost their lease for their building, and RE plans are to knock down the rest of the block." - This would be a continuation of, your statement that, these are just rumors?

I have spoken to Eddie Arrequin (Leaseholder and proprietor) at length about this several times and he denies that Hard Times is part of the re-development but, that he is also taking appropriate measures to re-locate if he has to. He has stated to me repeatedly that, the newest development was not part of his side of the property. That said though, I would not put it past the property owner/s to pull any chances to renew the lease. He did state that he made some agreements to get at least 9 months to a year's notice if he has to clear out. This would hinge on not getting his lease renewed. I have not spoken to him in at least 60 days.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
- When you say, "Apparently, HT lost their lease for their building, and RE plans are to knock down the rest of the block." - This would be a continuation of, your statement that, these are just rumors?.

Yes.

And thanks for the information... if you have any updates, please let us know.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.

And thanks for the information... if you have any updates, please let us know.

I don't have any concrete info, but I was told that they were not closing at the end of the year, but if by chance they did lose their lease ... that they would relocate. No close for good.

Time will tell I guess.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you look at that whole plaza, you would think HT is lucky to be still there.

It's gonna be a sad day.
But, I hope HT finds a new home.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It can't happen till I get there to play at least once. I have been to many of the best places in this country but I have not made it to either of the Hard Times. I have a busy summer and cant get out west this year so HT will need to stay there until I can visit.

Cuebuddy>Hoping to play Jay H short rack banks on that miserably tight table. :cool:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It can't happen till I get there to play at least once. I have been to many of the best places in this country but I have not made it to either of the Hard Times. I have a busy summer and cant get out west this year so HT will need to stay there until I can visit.

Cuebuddy>Hoping to play Jay H short rack banks on that miserably tight table. :cool:

I'm ready when you are! I just wish they would recover the tables. I played there last month and let's just say they are in bad shape. It definitely looks like a place that is getting ready to close, as it is not being well maintained.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Rumors?....I heard a rumor..

Big Bertha is going to be declared an American Historical Site...
...ranked somewhere between the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State building.

In further news....the racking scandal has been brought to the attention of Congress...
...there will be an inquiry just as soon as they get done with Z'berg.

pt....whaddiya mean 'fake news'?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm ready when you are! I just wish they would recover the tables. I played there last month and let's just say they are in bad shape. It definitely looks like a place that is getting ready to close, as it is not being well maintained.

The tournament side has decent cloth, not Simonis like before. The other side's tables could use new cloth for sure. Having said that, HT is a historic room, Big Bertha and all, sure don't want to see it go away.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The tournament side has decent cloth, not Simonis like before. The other side's tables could use new cloth for sure. Having said that, HT is a historic room, Big Bertha and all, sure don't want to see it go away.

The cloth on the tournament side is long overdue for recovering. I played on some really filthy and very old cloth last month.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cloth on the tournament side is long overdue for recovering. I played on some really filthy and very old cloth last month.

And when you have a nice set up at home, sure makes it tough to want to drive and pay to play in worse conditions.

Like I say all the time: only one a-hole at the pool room in my basement, but he's got good beer and perfect music.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least they put in a new AC system for this summer!!

:D

I think that when he signed new and was told he was locked in he invested in new A/C. I was in there yesterday and it was really comfortable with the weather in the 90"s outside.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does that mean that you're not coming down to play the one pocket tomorrow?

I'd love to Frank, but we are going to a classic car show instead. I'll be wheeling my '67 Chevy pick-up.
P.S. It would be nice if Eddie recovered some of the tables in the tournament room. They need it!

Attachments

• IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,007
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 990