Best OTC Cement for Cue Tips?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

Running out to the store for some cement, since my shaft collet set is arriving today.

I have some great cyanoacrylate adhesives from RC plane building, but I fear they are old and have lost their potency.

What's the best cement for this application that's available at WallMart, Home Depot, Lowes, et.al.?

Thanks,

jv

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

Running out to the store for some cement, since my shaft collet set is arriving today.

I have some great cyanoacrylate adhesives from RC plane building, but I fear they are old and have lost their potency.

What's the best cement for this application that's available at WallMart, Home Depot, Lowes, et.al.?

Thanks,

jv
FOR CUE TIPS-
BUY LOCTITE ULTRA CONTROL "GEL"
For butt caps and joint collars buy 2 part epoxy- DEVCON 2 TON WORKS GREAT!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
regular ol super or crazy glue works when you do it right i suppose
havent had any of my own come off that ive done

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use LockTite 2 part epoxy for my tips. Been using it for many years. Never had one come off.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which ca glue you pick matters less than how fresh it is.

For tips I always use a freshly opened bottle, purchased from a busy retailer (walmart) to ensure it's spent the least amount of time on the shelf. After that it's for general use only, and will get a new bottle the next time I do tips.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I have found that Gorilla Super Glues shelf life is only 6 to 10 months and it doesn't want to set fast.

Since I have switched to Loctite Professional I have found it's shelf life is 1 to 2 years.

I Fletch arrows and I can put a feather in a clamp and attach it to an arrow shaft and remove the clamp after 45 seconds and the feather won't move, even if the glue is two years old.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys!

DR, do you use an accelerant?

no accelerant ….
JUST LET THE GLUE DRY/CURE AT LEAST 5 MINUTES-Per the manufacture instructions-
make sure your tip is sanded nice and smooth-
then clean the tip,
at least with a paper towel-
never hurts to lightly pou cuts into the tip and ferrule/shaft either"

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Which ca glue you pick matters less than how fresh it is.
Yep. You can buy tiny tubes of it pretty cheap, so no need to risk old stuff.

Success is simple:
- new CA glue
- tip and ferrule surfaces perfectly flat
- avoid gluing yourself to your shaft

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

Thanks,

jv

Don't know that you can get it at you local hardware store but for my money it's worth the wait to order online from Amazon: Loctite Prism 401.

I don't believe Gorilla Glue is the way to go -- it expands.

Lou Figueroa

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know that you can get it at you local hardware store but for my money it's worth the wait to order online from Amazon: Loctite Prism 401.

I don't believe Gorilla Glue is the way to go -- it expands.

Lou Figueroa

I believe you are thinking about the Gorilla Glue Urethane adhesive for wood. The Gorilla glue mentioned above is Cyanoacrylate.... super glue.

To add for the OP.... as mentioned at least once, the preparation of the tip and ferrule is as, if not more important, then the choice of glue you use.

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I just use regular ol' Loctite Super Glue. BUT, I use
what is called the double application method. Basically
just what it says. After cleaning the sanded tip and ferrule
I apply one coat of the glue to both the tip and ferrule allow
them to dry then re-apply and press them together for about
5 minutes. Works like a champ.

hank

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys. I got the Loc Tite gel. Lightly sanded the glue side of the tip, faced off the shaft ferrule on the lathe. Glued, waited, turned the tip down, shaped, burnished. All good.

Thanks again.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used too much cement, I think. How much do you experienced guys use? Like, one drop? I imagine you don't spread it with anything.