ed young

accdealer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anybody know more information about ed young and his connection with DPK? i've heard stories in the past, but as i age my CRS worsens.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed Young currently shares a shop, stock, and machinery with DPK. As far as wether or not his cues are made and play like a DPK, I don't know and I'd like to know myself. DPK, from what I understand, only makes a limited number of cues per year, and they're all pretty much in the "oh my God" range of the high end price scale. The few Ed Young cues I've seen have been more afforadable. Also, anything I've seen in writing as far as verification, and/or repairs concerning DPK cues refers you to Ed Young, so apparently he also handles that end of the partnership.
The big question, are Ed Young cues, for all real purpose affordable DPK cues with a different name? I would also like to know.
dave

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Tokyo-dave said:
Ed Young currently shares a shop, stock, and machinery with DPK. As far as wether or not ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ntly he also handles that end of the partnership.
The big question, are Ed Young cues, for all real purpose affordable DPK cues with a different name? I would also like to know.
dave

ed young essentially has to babysit dpk, as i'm sure you've all heard the stories about dpk's flake problems. so yes,,,EVERYTHING regarding dpk goes through ed. ed and dpk share the same machinery, and uses the same original dpk templates from the early days of southwest, which differ from today's SW cues.

as for whether both ed's and dpk's cues play alike,,,ed will tell you yes. ed finished a cue for me but it's not a true dpk style because most of the cue was done by another cuemaker who passed away. the stiffer true dpk shaft hits great. they make two or three shaft tapers.