When did the red measles start coming in duramith?

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd asked aramith on FB if I the new black CB was going to be for sale separately, since I really want a measles ball in duramith. My measles from like 13 years ago gets dirty crazy fast.

They said the measles IS duramith now... but the packaging, etc all looks identical to what it was more than a decade ago.

When did the change happen? (or did it?)

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd asked aramith on FB if I the new black CB was going to be for sale separately, since I really want a measles ball in duramith. My measles from like 13 years ago gets dirty crazy fast.

They said the measles IS duramith now... but the packaging, etc all looks identical to what it was more than a decade ago.

Probably when the duramith sets first came out they just switched to that formula for the measle ball that you can buy individually. I think the duramith first came out early 2009

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith's web site does not indicate the measles ball is duramith.

https://www.aramith.com/cue-ball

The text description is:
"Made out of the most advanced Aramith Pro-Cup phenolic resin"

Attachments

• pro4.jpg
    pro4.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 358

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just checked, and it was Simonis on FB that was telling me that. But, the TV tournament set comes with a red measles that's def duramith.

I went to fort wort billiards to pick up a new one, but they ran out. They did have the TV tournament set though, and it had what sure looked like a red measles duramith ball in it.

I would still prefer the new black measles, though.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I once thought the brain was the most fascinating part of the human body. Then I realized, well look what's telling me that."

Exactly. I remember bringing up this point in an epistemology course in college that you can't argue against using logic by using logic (just like letting the brain tell you brains are great)... which is what some philosophers seem to do. Any argument against logic SHOULD be completely batshit crazy, otherwise it just proves how great logic is at proving things.

Anyways, Simonis acquired Aramith in 2012, apparently, so it can probably be considered a pretty good source for the info.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my opinion, the duramith black logo cue ball that comes with the aramith tournament sets still shows and retains chalk marks more than the aramith red circle - which in my opinion is still the cleanest cue ball of all the various aramith premium quality cue balls - red circle, black logo, red logo or the measle.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
In my opinion, the duramith black logo cue ball that comes with the aramith tournament sets still shows and retains chalk marks more than the aramith red circle - which in my opinion is still the cleanest cue ball of all the various aramith premium quality cue balls - red circle, black logo, red logo or the measle.

Agreed. I have a regular set of the Aramith Tournament balls and assume the included cue ball is made of Duramith to match the object balls. Other than the huge black logo which I find distracting it gets dirty fairly quickly too. Not as bad as the original ProCup "measles" ball from 10 years ago, or Blue Circle that comes with the Centennial balls but nothing like as good as a Red Circle, which is still the gold standard IMHO. However I find Red Circle wear a bit quicker than other Aramith balls, but that may just be because I've used them more frequently.

Recently I've been playing with the Cyclop single red spot cue ball and it is very good. The finish not quite as deep as a Red Circle but cleans up very well.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wish the newest versions of the red circle cue balls weren’t so yellowish in color. Most of the older ones I have are drastically whiter.

sbrownn

Registered
Aramith's web site does not indicate the measles ball is duramith.

https://www.aramith.com/cue-ball

The text description is:
"Made out of the most advanced Aramith Pro-Cup phenolic resin"
It's been a while, but did we ever get an answer to this? Also, even today and back in 2019, the new tournament Aramith black swirl logo (we know this is Duramith) with a circle around it is not even listed on Aramith's web site. Also interested if the Predator Acros II cue ball has Duramith or not?

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a while, but did we ever get an answer to this? Also, even today and back in 2019, the new tournament Aramith black swirl logo (we know this is Duramith) with a circle around it is not even listed on Aramith's web site. Also interested if the Predator Acros II cue ball has Duramith or not?
I never heard anything more authoritative, but if you send them a message and get a response, let us all know.

Based on empirical testing, I play about .5-1 hour every day, and posted this thread near 4 years ago now... and this weekend plan to clean that red measles I got at Ft Worth Billiards for it's second time. So it sure plays cleaner than my old measles I'd have to clean every couple of months. Now, I did switch to taom v10 as well which certainly helps, but that was only like 8 months ago or so.

FWIW, you can now get a black measles separately at seybert's for like $49 (a little steep for me, maybe I'll ask for that on my bday), I believe that will be duramith for certain.

sbrownn

Registered
I never heard anything more authoritative, but if you send them a message and get a response, let us all know.

Based on empirical testing, I play about .5-1 hour every day, and posted this thread near 4 years ago now... and this weekend plan to clean that red measles I got at Ft Worth Billiards for it's second time. So it sure plays cleaner than my old measles I'd have to clean every couple of months. Now, I did switch to taom v10 as well which certainly helps, but that was only like 8 months ago or so.

FWIW, you can now get a black measles separately at seybert's for like $49 (a little steep for me, maybe I'll ask for that on my bday), I believe that will be duramith for certain.
yes, I do not like the duramith play characteristics, especially on older felts that are not as fast.

neolux

Registered
I don't think that the measles ball was using Duramith technology back in 2004 when it was first used with the Super Pro TV set. I remember that the Super Pro TV set was using the Standard "Red" Aramith logo ball until the introduction of the measles ball. Would be nice to know when Aramith went from Super Pro resin to Duramith Resin for their measles ball--Gianni

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that the measles ball was using Duramith technology back in 2004 when it was first used with the Super Pro TV set. I remember that the Super Pro TV set was using the Standard "Red" Aramith logo ball until the introduction of the measles ball. Would be nice to know when Aramith went from Super Pro resin to Duramith Resin for their measles ball--Gianni
Red measel ball is SAP. Black measel ball is Duramith. I emailed Saluc in Belgium and was told this by them.

neolux

Registered
Red measel ball is SAP. Black measel ball is Duramith. I emailed Saluc in Belgium and was told this by them.
So the Duramith TV pro cup set comes with a super pro resin red measle ball, and not a duramth red measle ball? Basically a person would have to purchase a black Duramith label (from the standard duramith set..or duramith black measels ball) in order to get a complete duramith set? Correct? Thanks..Gianni

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the Duramith TV pro cup set comes with a super pro resin red measle ball, and not a duramth red measle ball? Basically a person would have to purchase a black Duramith label (from the standard duramith set..or duramith black measels ball) in order to get a complete duramith set? Correct? Thanks..Gianni
Yes, the Tournament sets use the Duramith balls except for tv set that uses the red measel cb. The BLACK set uses the black spotted cb. They don't make the red measel ball in Duramith. Nothing to sweat, i've played both cue balls and they play the same.

neolux

Registered
Yes, the Tournament sets use the Duramith balls except for tv set that uses the red measel cb. The BLACK set uses the black spotted cb. They don't make the red measel ball in Duramith. Nothing to sweat, i've played both cue balls and they play the same.
TY..same here... never noticed the difference, either. Even between a valley purple Bar Box ball(duramith) and the green logo aramith bar box ball.. I do have a 50-year-old set of Gold Crown pocket balls, which are made with phenolic resin.. probably by Hyatt in the USA. I believe they were the precursors to the crown standards made by aramith. The Brunswick crown pool balls come with a blue dot cue ball, which is lighter than the set.. you can get a lot of Zing out of that cue ball, but I use the measles ball with that set, and they play great. Gianni