GCIII Head/Foot Slate/Base Matching

SlateMate

Banned
does the base and slate on my GCIII have a head and foot or can i install either way? there is a penciled "H" on one end and i'm assuming that means the "head" of the table but i can't see any difference between the ends.

also: i'm really angry with myself for hurrying and chipping the foot slate when i took this table apart. i looked at it in detail yesterday and it's much worse than just a small chip out of the top. the cracks go down into the pin holes. before i screwed it up, the slate was PERFECT but now, not. i almost smashed it with a sledge and still might do that if i can't get my anger under control. i drove 400 miles round-trip to get this table. i'm severely depressed about it. i've been looking for an 8' GC for YEARS and finally found one and then promptly destroyed the slate.

Attachments

• DSCF2379.JPG
    DSCF2379.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF2380.JPG
    DSCF2380.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCF2381.JPG
    DSCF2381.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCF2382.JPG
    DSCF2382.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were mine I'd lightly clamp the affected areas and weep thin CA along the crack lines. Pink lable "ZAP" glue from the hobby shop is tremendously strong for an application like this. It'll go deep into the cracks. It's worth a try. Mitch

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If it were mine I'd lightly clamp the affected areas and weep thin CA along the crack lines. Pink lable "ZAP" glue from the hobby shop is tremendously strong for an application like this. It'll go deep into the cracks. It's worth a try. Mitch

I agree. More clamps are better than less. Use Bondo for the missing sections, and block sand it flush.

On a GC III, the 'Head' and 'Foot' are less critical than on a GC I-II (do to the cut-outs for the score counters). You may want to make sure that the labeled 'Head' end is placed in it's original position, so that the screw holes line up. However, That is only if the original installation was done properly. Otherwise, you may want to fill the screw holes in the frame and start fresh. In that case, it really doesn't matter which end is which.

SlateMate

Banned

i was going to try to get some super-glue in there then clamp. what is "CA"?

is "ZAP" glue better than super-glue? i'll look it up...

SlateMate

Banned
I agree. More clamps are better than less. Use Bondo for the missing sections, and block sand it flush.

You may want to make sure that the labeled 'Head' end is placed in it's original position, so that the screw holes line up.

that's what i was thinking. i got the slate on but backwards but i'll flip it around because i want to make sure that the slate holes line-up. i'll check for squareness to the frame afterwards. .

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
ok, trying to find the ZAP glue locally but home depot doesn't carry it.

Since the slate is intended to rest in a steady state, there won't be any force on the glue. You can use Loctite, Gorilla Glue, Krazy Glue, or any other type of THIN cyanoacrylate. Walmart has generic 'Super Glue', 4 tubes for $1.79.

Whatever you get, make sure that it is thin (low viscosity). This will help it to wick through the crack. Glue it before you clamp it.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geoff, I'm thinking clamp first because if the CA sets up deep in the cracks before clamping then there could be high spots that won't go down. The CA I think ZAP brand is the best. All hobby shops carry it. The thin has a pink lable an will wick into the tiniest spaces. Mitch

SlateMate

Banned
Geoff, I'm thinking clamp first because if the CA sets up deep in the cracks before clamping then there could be high spots that won't go down. The CA I think ZAP brand is the best. All hobby shops carry it. The thin has a pink lable an will wick into the tiniest spaces. Mitch

if you clamp immediately the excess glue will squish out .

i ordered some ZAP pink glue online but might just use the cheap-ass superglue i got at walmart because i don't want to have to wait.

i "fixed" one area with JB Weld. i like JB because it's almost the exact color of the slate and dries very hard. it also sands easily and afterward you can barely see the fix.

i've calmed down and decided that smashing the slate is not prudent at this time. lol...

i threw away my 8' pro Gandy and used the slate for a patio along with the slate from a 9' Sonier Wilhelm pos that i got for free.... the 8' GCIII is a superior product. i leveled the base and just rested the slate and it's very close to being level. no crowns or depressions. this table despite my indiscretion is going to play as good as any.

thanks to all for the advice.

SlateMate

Banned
JB Weld Slate Fix

Here's a pic of my fixed slate using JB Weld slow cure epoxy. i like it because it dries rock hard, sands easy and is slate colored.

below are four pics of the before and after of the edge chips that i fixed.

Attachments

• center fix.jpg
    center fix.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 162
  • side fix.jpg
    side fix.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited: