New HR Simonis Cloth

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Christmas present arrived early. Wife has purchased a new bolt of HR Simonis for my Brunswick Centennial . Question,, the facings on the rail rubber is the original material . The rail rubber plays well , but thinking about replacing just the facings. Are there different materials that would work , and that would make the pockets more forgiving?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Your pockets likely play difficult because the pocket opening angles are off. This can be caused by a number of factors. Most commonly, the wood behind the facings is deteriorated. This is because the factory 1/8" facings were too thin. Alternatively, I have seen poor installation, where the cushion is not cut flush with the factory wood surface.

I recommend the use of 3/16" 60A Neoprene facings. I buy mine in sheets or rolls, and cut them to size (be sure to remove the mold release agent, as necessary).

Using a thicker facing will tighten the opening of the pocket, which will make it seem more difficult. However, it will also reduce the shelf depth of the pocket, which will make the pocket itself play easier.

If you want the pockets to play more forgiving, I would also recommend that you adjust the pocket angles. There are a few ways to accomplish this, though it may not be a simple task, depending on the condition of your rails. Ideally (in my opinion), your corner entrance angles would be 141° x 12°.

If you would like more assistance, I might recommend that you post a few photos of the ends of the rails, once you've removed the current facings.