Remembering "The Professor" Grady Mathews

Kaptivative

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As we bid fairwell to a great one pocket player like Ronnie Allen, another individual who has greatly impacted the game comes to mind. That would be the professor himself, Grady Mathews.

Although I never knew him personally, I still experience feelings of loss when he passed on. I have a lot of materials that he created and always admired his one pocket, kicking, and safety playing skills. I really learned a lot hearing him commentate one pocket matches along with his long time friend Billy Incordona.

I hadn't noticed any mention of him in this forum so I thought I would make mention of him for all of those of us that greatly admired this man and what he's done for our chosen sport. Thanks all.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I never had the honor of meeting the man, but I have many of his instructional videos, and shared many online discussions. God speed Grady.

outrider1

Registered
Grady Matthews

Our local cuemaker,Joey Thomas,son of NASCAR Hall of fame Herb Thomas,made Wayne 3 cues.I was asked to go along when Joey delivered the last cue.I was glad to meet him,a real class act.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I had the honor of knowing Grady a bit, even being called his friend. I could tell a story or two but what stands out most for me is that Grady told it like it was...he had a gift of expressing truth without regret or hesitation. For that, I'll always see him as courageous.

He counceled me once about my weight saying that he had no friends who were 70 and 300 pounds (as I was). He took an interest in my health from that point on and always inquired when we spoke on the phone. He was a strong proponent of exercise.

Now I'm 100 pounds lighter and I say his name each time I climb the 40 stairs to the office at work. I gave up the elevator at Grady's encouragement...but as climbing those stairs has changed from a painful huff and puff to a pleasurable opportunity to remenber my friend, I realize he has been with me through it all.

Gian Calise

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the honor of knowing Grady a bit, even being called his friend. I could tell a story or two but what stands out most for me is that Grady told it like it was...he had a gift of expressing truth without regret or hesitation. For that, I'll always see him as courageous.

He counceled me once about my weight saying that he had no friends who were 70 and 300 pounds (as I was). He took an interest in my health from that point on and always inquired when we spoke on the phone. He was a strong proponent of exercise.

Now I'm 100 pounds lighter and I say his name each time I climb the 40 stairs to the office at work. I gave up the elevator at Grady's encouragement...but as climbing those stairs has changed from a painful huff and puff to a pleasurable opportunity to remenber my friend, I realize he has been with me through it all.

Gian Calise

So THAT'S what happened, I though you just wanted to chace the ladies with better success :wink:

Grady was great, the one time I met him he talked to me like we've known each other for years. He's was one of the last links to the old guard and I can't listen to any commentary of a match without wondering what Grady would be saying if he was there.

bountybuddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remembering Grady Mathews

I ask Grady Mathews to be my friend on Facebook which he did. Then I ask him if he ever played Harry Sexton, aka Little Harry or to his friends Poochie. I watched him play Cornbread Red at least 8 times in Flint Michigan. Grady did play him and he beat him. So did The Beard. I thought Harry Sexton was the best to ever come out of Michigan but Harold Worst was much better. I always wanted to visit Grady and play in his pool hall but never did. He sure was a class act. R.I.P. my friend. See ya down the road.

bountybuddy

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
I met Mr. Mathews back in the late 80's in Charleston SC. He was in town playing some and giving instruction for $100 an hr. I had never met him but had heard of him often. I went to Whitey's to see what all the talk was about. After watching him shoot some with random people and doing a few trick shots, I got up the courage to go talk to him while he was on a break. Like everyone else has stated, he definitely told it like it was. He talked to me like I had known him for years. I spent $200 that day for a 2 hr lesson with him. It has been (up to this point in my pool life) the best $200 I've ever spent. You are greatly missed SIR! R.I.P.

Rusty in Montana

I got to meet Grady when he came to Billings Mt to play some exhibition matches against Frank McGown and a few others .
I didn't actually pay for instructions from him but we did play a couple racks of 9 ball he was encouraging me to keep up the good work with my game and as mentioned he spoke to me as if we were life long friends a class act for sure .

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to meet Grady when he came to Billings Mt to play some exhibition matches against Frank McGown and a few others .
I didn't actually pay for instructions from him but we did play a couple racks of 9 ball he was encouraging me to keep up the good work with my game and as mentioned he spoke to me as if we were life long friends a class act for sure .
I met Grady in 91 in Vegas, we were good friends there after. Always liked him. I still have his number in my phone.🙏🏼

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I met Grady in 91 in Vegas, we were good friends there after. Always liked him. I still have his number in my phone.🙏🏼
Just checked, and his number is still in my phone, too. He was a great guy besides great player. Saw him & Alison on their tour when she was just over from England, myself @ and a small group of friends hired him for a private clinic, and he came to my house for a private lesson in about 2001. He was a wealth. Taught the tried & true. Very down to earth fella. He is missed.