Slate storage

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pallet as said above. Or 3 or 4... 2x4x4's. Just dont lay them on concrete. As high as possible. 2 pallets better. Leaning against the wall, also on wood.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information guys. If I lay them against a wall or on a pallet, can all three be on top of each other or do they need to be separate? Charles

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Separated by 2x4's. If for anything, it will make them easier to pick up! And the ventilation between slates couldn't hurt.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Be sure all screws, staples are removed from the bottom of each slate.
One time a staple scratched the surface of the the slate under it when the top slate was slide into place.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be sure all screws, staples are removed from the bottom of each slate.
One time a staple scratched the surface of the the slate under it when the top slate was slide into place.

Good point. Didn't think of that, but I always separated with wood.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I never lay slate flat for storage if it's going to be for an extended period of time. You guys clearly haven't seen what happens to slate stored flat on a pallet. A pallet only offers support in 3 locations, the outside edges, and the middle. The bottom slate ends up leveling like a W, low between support 2x4's because the the weight piled on top of the bottom slate from the others stacked on top pressing down on the bottom slate. I only store slates standing up.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never lay slate flat for storage if it's going to be for an extended period of time. You guys clearly haven't seen what happens to slate stored flat on a pallet. A pallet only offers support in 3 locations, the outside edges, and the middle. The bottom slate ends up leveling like a W, low between support 2x4's because the the weight piled on top of the bottom slate from the others stacked on top pressing down on the bottom slate. I only store slates standing up.

Even if all the 2x4's are in line top to bottom?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Even if all the 2x4's are in line too to bottom?

You're still dealing with weight, standing them up removes that factor. I stand them up against a wall, leaning, on 2 2×4"s spread apart. 10x's easier to move with a hand truck the way as well, don't have to pick them up.