122 ball run calling out Pro One visuals

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Landon was about 12 or 13 Stan would bring him over to my house for practice sessions 1 - 2 times a week. This went on for about 2 years. One night after our session was over I asked Stan if he had heard about Center-To-Edge aiming with pivots...........I'd recently been to SBE and heard some conversation about it and actually played a guy in the amateur 9 Ball event that used it. To my surprise he told me that he and Landon had actually visited Hal a couple times. I could tell he was excited about it and in subsequent visits that excitement grew as he was learning more and more as time went on. Needless to say his hard work and dedication payed off and now we have Pro One. I got to witness Landon begin and develop his CTE Pro One skills and I could tell it was a very strong system evidenced by his continued improvement week after week until I could no longer give him a good challenge.

I received a 3-hour lesson on Pro One from Stan at his training facility 5 days prior to this video. It was my 3rd day using the system. I had just purchased a video camera and decided to film some practice sessions.

The first day was painful. Not only was Pro One new to me, but knowing the camera was rolling had me somewhat sharked for awhile. I had many early flub-ups. New to the system I was having to think (a lot) about the "visuals" in my pre-shot routine and this had an affect on my natural rhythm of playing.......and trying to call out the visuals while playing had an effect on my play too. My "footwork" (or placement) seemed off as well. I will say this about the camera, it will make you focus. I've never had a better 3 days of practice..........I recommend it to all.

Midway through the second day I started to get the hang of it. The visuals were becoming quickly apparent at address and my feet just seemed to start moving into where they needed to be for the shot without thinking about it. Also, I'm very right eye dominant and, I think, my brain started allowing my left eye to get involved somewhat in terms of perceiving the two different visual lines at address.

I chose Straight Pool for this demo, the Cadillac of all pool games. The table is a 1945 Brunswick Anniversary Edition in mint condition with original pockets and rails...........this was the standard specs back in Mosconi's prime. Yes, the pockets are big. Coming in from mid table through the gate of the pocket is very forgiving but coming down the rail with speed is a different story.........hit the facing of the pocket with speed and it will spit the ball out like a snooker table (I think RealKingCobra talked about this once).

I called out most visuals..........all except straight-in shots and shots less than 1 foot distance CB to OB or from the pocket. After watching the video I think I did call out some backwards by mistake.......especially the 2nd or 3rd break shot (14 ball) I called out edge to C when it clearly was edge to A.

Thanks for watching.

DTL

http://youtu.be/fE673R079oc

DTL, quite an accomplishment in such a short time. Remarkable!

I appreciate your comments about Landon and yesteryear. I cherish those times. Thanks for posting your comments in such detail.

Stan Shuffett

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
First, your table is beautiful.

Second, your choice in pajama combinations is awful. :)

Third, your calling out of the visuals wasn't loud enough.

Fourth, the story you shared is PERFECT.

Lastly, your run was wonderful. Thank you.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Nice work, DTL! What was your hi-run before adopting this aim system? What do you think you've learned or how has it improved your game?

Thanks.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Previous high run was 115.

The system puts you at that all important center CB setup straight down the shot line......... not necessarily the tip of your cue but the pivot point of your bridge hand (for me) --> the V in an open hand bridge or the wrapped around index finger of a closed bridge. From there I can apply BHE for some spin if I need it............I'll just fall down with my cue already angled for right or left english but the pivot point of my bridge hand is at center CB.

Basically, by falling on the shot line at center CB, if you can deliver a good, straight stroke you're gonna have a VERY GOOD chance of making the ball.

DTL

What you just expressed is worth a 1000 words or a painting or something like that.

Excellent explanation!

Stan Shuffett

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice shooting. I sure do appreciate you calling out the visuals. Especially the couple that you did the edge to C on thiner type cuts.
Can you or somebody explain when it's best to use Edge to C or A, as compared to the 1/8 ball overlap.
Once again dynamite shooting.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks.

Stan showed me some things on CTE very early on in his journey with the system.......manual pivot days (? 2007). It wasn't until last week that I got my first Pro One lesson. I believe the edge to C or A on thinner cuts is one of, if not the only, new "hands on" addition since DVD1. Stan could probably answer that question better than I.

I think he once wrote something about 49°...

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice shooting. I sure do appreciate you calling out the visuals. Especially the couple that you did the edge to C on thiner type cuts.
Can you or somebody explain when it's best to use Edge to C or A, as compared to the 1/8 ball overlap.
Once again dynamite shooting.

There are 2 categories for one-line visuals:
1. Thin cuts. A and C Without a CTE LINE
2. Extremely thin cuts. The 1/8 ball overlaps.

A strong overriding theme for CTE PRO ONE is that all shots place the shooter a 1/2 tip puvot away from a shot line at ball address.

Your choice for which one-line visual you use is determined by if the shot can be made with a strict 1/2 tip pivot.

If ( A and thin)is the shot, then 1/8 will not work as a 1/2 tip pivot unless you are just real close to a pocket.

The reverse is true. If you have an obviuos extremeltv thin 1/8 ball overlap, then A or C as a thin shot will not pocket the ball.

All shots are chosen based on the fact that foundationally a 1/2 tip pivot is correct for the visual.

All shots whether manual or by sweep begin with a fixed CB that places the shooter a 1/2 tip pivot or visual sweep from the shot line.

Stan Shuffett