"Center Ball" ! What does that mean to you?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am wondering what you guys think "Center Ball" cue ball contact is? If you shoot "center ball" on a straight in shot, how does the cue ball move after contact?

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i assume you mean center cue ball not center ball
correct me if i am wrong
to me

center cue ball is a spot at the core of the cue ball
to me center cue ball means hitting thru that spot based on the angle of your cue
for alot of people i think center cue ball means vertical axis ie no spin
center ball would still be that spot at the core of the ball
when jumping balls or shooting jacked up i think this concept is important
why do you ask ??

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Center Ball" ! What does that mean to you?

To me center ball means a lot.

It means no left or right spin. It also means no left or right squirt. It also means on a straight in shot at any distance the cueball would follow the object ball in when shot with high action. As a drill that means a well tuned visual alignment and cue delivery. It also means an ideal shot if I’m in ideal position. Playing position without requiring sidespin is preferred when available. It means simplicity.

But if you also mean true center (no high or low), it means a sliding cueball up to a distance determined by the power of the shot. It can mean a stop, slight roll up or natural rolling cueball. It means being on the tangent line or as far forward as the natural rolling angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
i assume you mean center cue ball not center ball
correct me if i am wrong
to me

center cue ball is a spot at the core of the cue ball
to me center cue ball means hitting thru that spot based on the angle of your cue
for alot of people i think center cue ball means vertical axis ie no spin
center ball would still be that spot at the core of the ball
when jumping balls or shooting jacked up i think this concept is important
why do you ask ??

No. "center ball" is the second most important shot in pool. Let's see what others think.
If you see an aiming drill, and the tracks for the cue ball off the object ball call for stop, follow, draw, or center ball, how would you shoot the "center ball" shot?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I am wondering what you guys think "Center Ball" cue ball contact is? If you shoot "center ball" on a straight in shot, how does the cue ball move after contact?
Center ball by itself has to mean vertical and horizontal center.

If you hit a short firm straight in shot with center ball the CB will slide to the OB and stop after contact.

pj
chgo

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Center ball by itself has to mean vertical and horizontal center.

If you hit a short firm straight in shot with center ball the CB will slide to the OB and stop after contact.

pj
chgo

That seems like a "stop" shot.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one knows what you are talking about. How about explaining it better? It’s too vague. Center ball can mean a lot of things. It’s like asking what is the name of the cue ball.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

If you hit it soft, the cue ball will roll forward.
If you hit hard, it will slide forward.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Of course center CB means zero side spin, zero top and zero draw. As bbb wrote....the cue tip is directed straight to the core of the CB, regardless of the angle of the cue. This means the CB can only do 2 things when struck, depending on stroke speed and stroke/attack angle....it will either slide straight forward and then roll (slide length determined by stroke speed) or it will be forced to leave the table (jump shot). So, assuming the CB has the same weight and diameter of the OB, it will either stop (sliding upon contact) or roll forward (rolling upon contact) after contacting the OB. If the CB is heavier than the OB then it will roll forward after contacting the OB, regardless of whether or not it was sliding or rolling upon contact. If the CB is lighter than the OB it will bounce backwards (like a draw shot) when it slides into the OB.

Mark Wilson (in his book, Play Great Pool) says if there's any secret to playing great pool it's being able to strike the cb within 1mm of where you intend to strike it. This is especially important on long straight-in shots where you are shooting straight through the center of the CB to send it straight into the OB. Being off a touch left or right will cause squirt and possibly a missed shot. Being off a touch slightly above and left or right of ccb will cause a little massé and a possible missed shot.

So what exactly are trying to get across to us about center cue ball?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson (in his book, Play Great Pool) says if there's any secret to playing great pool it's being able to strike the cb within 1mm of where you intend to strike it. This is especially important on long straight-in shots where you are shooting straight through the center of the CB to send it straight into the OB. Being off a touch left or right will cause squirt and possibly a missed shot. Being off a touch slightly above and left or right of ccb will cause a little massé and a possible missed shot.

So what exactly are trying to get across to us about center cue ball?

Here is a video of me shooting "center ball" at a medium speed but it can be done at any speed. At any speed, it is a stop shot + about 6". My teacher states this is the second most important shot in pool. I'm shooting this on a straight in shot so it can be demonstrated but the value is the angle the cue ball goes off the object ball. We all know the stop shot goes off on tangent and how the rolling ball shot goes off, but there is a special angle in between these two tracks that the "center ball" will track on. He uses this track for shape. There are many spots on the table where it's impossible to get there without this shot.

If you put a OB on the one ball spot and hit a stop shot at an angle, the cue ball will scratch. The "center ball" will hit the end rail about 6" on the end rail from the pocket. Here is the way you'll know you've got it. Put a ball one ball width up from the one ball spot. Now the "center ball" shot will scratch. https://youtu.be/fjEGe0_rP2k

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Bert Kinister has been teaching this kind of stuff regarding CB control and position longer than anyone. What is being demonstrated in this thread has been around for decades on Kinister's videos. He demonstrates the CCB hit with controlled roll forward.

Nothing new and Earth shaking unless you're new to pool and everything is Earth shaking. It's in his 60 minute workout video. This isn't it, but a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6zBTXwTHGs

Found it. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6xL-AGh974

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Bert Kinister has been teaching this kind of stuff regarding CB control and position longer than anyone. What is being demonstrated in this thread has been around for decades on Kinister's videos. He demonstrates the CCB hit with controlled roll forward.

Nothing new and Earth shaking unless you're new to pool and everything is Earth shaking. It's in his 60 minute workout video. This isn't it, but a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6zBTXwTHGs

No, nothing new. But how many practice this shot, know the track angle off of a OB and know of it's value around the table? Takes a lot of practice to hit this shot at all speeds and distances. I work on it all the time because I know how it tracks off the OB.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe most people call this shot “stun run through”. I’ve never heard it called “center ball” before.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
No, nothing new. But how many practice this shot and know of it's value around the table? Takes a lot of practice to hit this shot at all speeds and distances. I work on it all the time because I know how it tracks off the OB.

If players have Bert Kinister's videos from years back or know of Kinister to rent them individually now, they know the shot and probably practice it.

The question I have is why is this in the AIMING forum? It has nothing to do with the subject. Neither you or your instructor even believes in aiming.

Take it to the MAIN forum where it belongs and I think you'll get a lot more action and responses.

Do you agree? Does it make sense?

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe most people call this shot “stun run through”. I’ve never heard it called “center ball” before.

Yes, but the 6" or so, run through is what is important. Stun, run through could go any distance and the track off the OB would not relate to "center ball". Many times the "center ball" will track about the middle of tangent lane and rolling ball line. Nothing new here, but I'm just wondering how many practice this shot and know of it's angle.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So 6” is the target run through length for your shot? Is that center to center distance? Or closest edge to closest edge? I will try it tomorrow without any practice at various CB distances to see how close I get.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
If players have Bert Kinister's videos from years back or know of Kinister to rent them individually now, they know the shot and probably practice it.

The question I have is why is this in the AIMING forum? It has nothing to do with the subject. Neither you or your instructor even believes in aiming.

Take it to the MAIN forum where it belongs and I think you'll get a lot more action and responses.

Do you agree? Does it make sense?

I think you are correct. Just thinking about how to precisely stroke the cue ball is a little like aiming. I'll post it up there.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I Just thinking about how to precisely stroke the cue ball is a little like aiming.

Uhhhhh, no it isn't. They're separate actions. Find a 2nd instructor to back up your primary one who knows and teaches aiming to learn more. For the oldest system around, contact points, I suggest Joe Tucker. He's also a pro player.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
So 6” is the target run through length for your shot? Is that center to center distance? Or closest edge to closest edge? I will try it tomorrow without any practice at various CB distances to see how close I get.

Somewhere around 6" is perfect. Hitting this shot from soft to the hardest requires some cue ball control, but the reward can be immense. Once you've got it at maybe two diamonds away on a straight in shot, try it at an angle. The cue ball track will kind of go in between a rolling cue ball and a stop shot that goes out on tangent.