Dream Challenge -Team USA v Team Russia (23-25 Sep2019) 9b/9ft. Winning team $15K

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I Liked 'what's her name's' enthusiasm in the booth and she hardly spoke at all so i cant see her bothering anyone. JJ talks too much but still way better than most imo.

Ditto. Emily Frazer is a breath of fresh air in our sport. Her enthusiasm for pool is obvious, and she's not too shy to show it, but she does know when to stay out of the way. Pool could do with a few more of her.

Last edited:

nodeflection

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think JJ is good, But he seems to rarely agree with Michael on strategy and almost sounds condescending at times...

I agree with that JJ is condescending. At the end of the event Michael had enough of it and started getting his 2 cents in.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Maybe I’m not sophisticated enough....
..I enjoyed the commentating.

And the people that disagree with JJ’s analysis.....
...must be awfully good players....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with that JJ is condescending. At the end of the event Michael had enough of it and started getting his 2 cents in.
I think the problem was that there were two technical analysts at the same time. It's better to pair a tech guy with a color guy. I thought Emily worked OK with occasional related comments and seemed to provide more of a fan's perspective.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I’m not sophisticated enough....
..I enjoyed the commentating.

And the people that disagree with JJ’s analysis.....
...must be awfully good players....

Nah, it ain't about disagreeing with the analysis. I think the analysis is very informative and educational (for me at least). But, as my wife tells me all the time, it's not what you say, but HOW you say it...

You don't have to be an expert or pro to notice the fact that almost every time Michael recommended a play or a shot, JJ would come with his "Weeeellll, he shouldn't shoot it that way because_______" or " weeeellllll, you really wouldn't want to do it that way because________". It just sounded, to me, like how I sound when I am trying to teach my 10 year old something. Maybe this Michael guy is a beginner pool player?

Look, it's nit picking, sure, but JJ is not perfect. He is not above having his work analyzed and discussed, heaven knows he has a large majority of adoring fans. Regardless, I appreciate the heck out of anyone willing to "step in the box".

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto. Emily Fraser is a breath of fresh air in our sport. Her enthusiasm for pool is obvious, and she's not too shy to show it, but she does know when to stay out of the way. Pool could do with a few more of her.
I think you guys may be biased because she is a woman If it was a guy in there who didn't know about pool and representing the "fan perspective" you would think he was a moron.

I also thought her open suport for the US team and certain players was disrespectful.

Julian

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, it ain't about disagreeing with the analysis. I think the analysis is very informative and educational (for me at least). But, as my wife tells me all the time, it's not what you say, but HOW you say it...

You don't have to be an expert or pro to notice the fact that almost every time Michael recommended a play or a shot, JJ would come with his "Weeeellll, he shouldn't shoot it that way because_______" or " weeeellllll, you really wouldn't want to do it that way because________". It just sounded, to me, like how I sound when I am trying to teach my 10 year old something. Maybe this Michael guy is a beginner pool player?

Look, it's nit picking, sure, but JJ is not perfect. He is not above having his work analyzed and discussed, heaven knows he has a large majority of adoring fans. Regardless, I appreciate the heck out of anyone willing to "step in the box".
Hopefully he's reading and taking notes

Julian

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I think JJ is quite arrogant and spends a lot of time talking about what he would do or what the players should do, which is not really commenting.

Michael did not speak much at all, mostly because he didn't get many chances from JJ.

What's-her-name does not belong in the booth.

I much prefer Freddie + George and upstate Al as commentators. Some of the players like Darren Appleton and Chris Melling were also impressive in the booth at other events.

Julian

Wrong.:slap::

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think you guys may be biased because she is a woman If it was a guy in there who didn't know about pool and representing the "fan perspective" you would think he was a moron. Julian

Though your assumption was not necessarily poorly reasoned, it turns out to be mistaken.

I first met Emily Frazer at the 2018 Mosconi Cup in London and met her again at the 2019 US Open in Las Vegas. On both occasions, she was a skillful, hands on manager with great people skills and a genuine enthusiasm for pool. I'm reacting to what I have already seen from her, not assumed.

Matchroom's increased presence in American pool, thanks to its taking on the US Open 9-ball, is to be celebrated, and I'm delighted to see somebody as capable as Emily Fraser in charge.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I first met Emily Frazer at the 2018 Mosconi Cup in London and met her again at the 2019 US Open in Las Vegas. On both occasions, she was a skillful, hands on manager with great people skills and a genuine enthusiasm for pool. I'm reacting to what I have already seen from her, not assumed.

Matchroom's increased presence in American pool, thanks to its taking on the US Open 9-ball, is to be celebrated, and I'm delighted to see somebody as capable as Emily Fraser in charge.
And it should be noted that the 2019 US Open was the first very large participation event in pool Matchroom did in a long time and probably the first Emily was in charge of, and it came off with almost no hitches and ran to schedule. Very impressive for an (effectively) first-time event. I heard multiple people predicting total meltdown before it started.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I think the problem was that there were two technical analysts at the same time
Don't see that much of a problem as long as one of the guys is a pro player with vast experience at the table. At the same time I believe that at times the real expert analyst is looking to hear another opinion. Either to support that of his own, or to disagree with. And in case of the latter it is just another chance to describe how the play should proceed, how shot is supposed to be made, etc. Which in the end is good for the players of any kind listening.
JJ and Mike were doing most of the Kremlin Cup 2019 and the Dream Challenge last year, being only two commentators there, and that probably did sound different than at this very Dream Challenge.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone post the score? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums