Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Grip question
View Poll Results: How many fingers do you use on your grip hand?
Index finger/thumb 2 4.55%
Two fingers/thumb 8 18.18%
Three fingers/thumb 15 34.09%
All four and thumb 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Grip question
Old
  (#1)
tuffstuff07
AzB Silver Member
tuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond reputetuffstuff07 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Grip question - 11-03-2019, 12:44 AM

In a funk and trying to get comfortable with a grip and was wondering how many fingers you hold the cue with?

Rereading through some material I have it states that the cue is supposed to rest in the first two fingers and craddled in place by the thumb but I have also read that all 4 fingers and the thumb should be used to craddle the cue.

Wanted to see what everyone's opinion was.

Playing Cue
Josey Sneaky Pete with z2 shaft

Predator Revo SP2-4

Break Cue
Varney J/B

Jump Cue
Jacoby

Case
JB Ultimate Rugged custom Black and Lime Green

Table
Valley bar box

Old
  (#2)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-03-2019, 01:03 AM

All 4 fingers on the cue, but nothing is gripping the cue. It lays on the fingers, and as you can see, theres quite a bit of light visible ie its loose.
Attached Images

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#3)
S.Vaskovskyi
AzB Silver Member
S.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff07 View Post
In a funk and trying to get comfortable with a grip and was wondering how many fingers you hold the cue with?

Rereading through some material I have it states that the cue is supposed to rest in the first two fingers and craddled in place by the thumb but I have also read that all 4 fingers and the thumb should be used to craddle the cue.

You could also think if there are any changes/differences in your grip (which fingers touch the cue or how the cue lays on the fingers) at these particular moments of the stroking motion:
- the end of backswing
- at the moment of the cue tip contacting the CB
- at the end of the follow through.
One of the most important moments of the stroke is when the cue tip hits the CB. That period of time is such short making it very likely impossible to control by your consciousness and that is mostly what defines a pure stroke one has when the others don't. I guess that is also one of the reasons there are various grips working well for different people and for certain shots...
You can control some things on a certain phases of your stroke paying close attention to certain things which may help and lead to a cleaner and smoother stroke but it is much easier to be said than done. At least that is my experience on the topic.

Playing cue: 62" full spliced player I''ve built for myself
Break cue: made by myself

"Live and learn...and have fun"

Last edited by S.Vaskovskyi; 11-03-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Old
  (#4)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
All 4 fingers on the cue, but nothing is gripping the cue. It lays on the fingers, and as you can see, theres quite a bit of light visible ie its loose.
I agree with this grip.

Old
  (#5)
gcmortal
AzB Silver Member
gcmortal is on a distinguished road

11-03-2019, 09:22 AM

These videos were a massive help for me. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOy9gWj0nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EN9UgH7d5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaNdCU64R4

Old
  (#6)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 10:51 AM

This could be helpful.

https://youtu.be/lRD10tybtIY

Old
  (#7)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcantrall View Post
This could be helpful.

https://youtu.be/lRD10tybtIY
When he tells her to put her hand out....

Barry Stark is the greatest.
Instructors could learn alot from him.

He has so many good videos.

I agree with this grip style and it is what I have incorporated.

Old
  (#8)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Silver Member
JackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond reputeJackOfNoTrades has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmortal View Post
Thank you!

Make no mistake, the Bolshevik menace is making its move right now in the United States, to forever destroy our Constitution and way of life. Will you go quietly into that bleak hellscape, knowing that the Orwellian boot will forever be upon the face of our progeny? - JackOfNoTrades

Old
  (#9)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

11-03-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Six fingers and two thumbs. But I don't recommend that for everyone.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#10)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-03-2019, 03:09 PM

It doesn't matter how you hold on to the cuestick. What matters is not grabbing the cue (any more than is necessary to keep the cue from flying out of your hand), on the forward stroke. Have a perfect transition from backwards to forwards, and let the cue do the work. This is true even on the break.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#11)
goettlicher
AzB Silver Member
goettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 03:27 PM

GRIP is wrong.
CRADLE is correct.

Old
  (#12)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 07:12 PM

I hold my cue like I'm holding a baby bird- safely, but gently
and then I let that baby bird spread its wings
and fly

peace & love

Old
  (#13)
Cadillac J
AzB Silver Member
Cadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettlicher View Post
GRIP is wrong.
CRADLE is correct.
That's definitely the better word to describe it. Could be of great help to those suffering with stroke issues.

Old
  (#14)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
I agree with this grip.
Works for me.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#15)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Do what I did years ago....I knew tho I had a flaw and I thought doing this, would best answer my question. I watched the grip of every player at the event (Reds Houston 82?) for two days.... and before I left I changed my grip, played a guy one set to test it, then went back to CO. Three months later, best change of all I ever did to my game.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: