Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Josh Filler says to SVB, "There's a new King!"
Page 6 of 13 « First 456 78 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

11-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette1340 View Post
Lastly, I’d venture to say that I’d have a long line of vouchers for any amount you’d care to bet. I sold my internet start up for more than Filler or Shane will see in their lifetimes.
Once again, I don't care to bet, but rest assured, the money has nothing to do with it. I've given my reasons.

By the way, if you're so rich, why not contribute some of your wealth to pool events and pool-related causes. In my life, I reckon I've contributed over $100,000 to pool events and pool-related causes, and I'm not talking about investments or business ventures, just contributions given with nothing expected in return. My pockets aren't exactly tight, but my taste for side betting on pool is near zero.

FYI, I am not living paycheck to paycheck. I am a wealthy man who retired at 50 and unless your net worth has nine digits in it, you're not financially out of my league. That said, wealth is a very trivial matter on the forum, and I'd never want to be defined by it. My posts should be the only measure of me around here. There is no relationship between wealth and quality posting on AZB.

You state it as if it were fact that only long-race play will define a true champion. That it your opinion, and what player in our sport's history has ever been counted among the greatest ever because of their results in the action room in marathon races? I've been to a lot of BCA Hall of Fame inductions, and I've never heard these marathon races, a relatively new novelty in our game, even mentioned.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I'll always believe that greatness is measured in major titles. For that reason, Filler's career cannot be compared to that of SVB, for SVB's major title count is way above that of Filler. Shane's level of accomplishment is still something that the 22 year old Filler can only dream of, but right now Filler is consistently outperforming Shane and, for some reason that I don't get, that seems to bother you a lot.

Old
  (#77)
skip100
AzB Silver Member
skip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-28-2019, 10:03 AM

It's pretty hilarious how triggered some people get by Filler, just because he's brash and not American.

Old
  (#78)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette1340 View Post
Didn’t say you were uninformed, but short sided, yes. Short race pool is the worst way to define who the absolute best player is because there’s so much variance involved. Bergman said it best when he said “if you play in 30 tourneys a year, surely you’ll win some of them”.

Filler is an absolute beast no doubt, but until he beats Shane in a long race which cuts down on the variance, he can’t call himself the best. He can call himself #1 in the short race pool tourney rankings, but until nobody will step up and play you or until you’ve beaten who is considered the best player for the cash you can’t call yourself the best.

Lastly, I’d venture to say that I’d have a long line of vouchers for any amount you’d care to bet. I sold my internet start up for more than Filler or Shane will see in their lifetimes.
Well he has it wrong anyway Chang is the king he's horse f----ed Shane before , and until Shane's stops running and steps up to the plate again and beats him , Chang remains the King

Old
  (#79)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
Well he has it wrong anyway Chang is the king he's horse f----ed Shane before , and until Shane's stops running and steps up to the plate again and beats him , Chang remains the King

Yes, it's common knowledge that JL Chang has owned Shane, but, FYI, JL Chang tried to make a high-stakes 10-ball game with every single player who showed up at Derby City this year, SVB included. The only taker was Filler, and Josh beat him 17-14 in a big action 10-ball match. That said, though, JL Chang beat Filler (11-9, I think) in the final of the Bigfoot 10-ball event a couple of days earlier, so Chang and Filler have gone back and forth at 10-ball.

Old
  (#80)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post

We've gone over this before. Chang only won by 7 games when they played.

Yes, Chang had a big lead after the first day, but a horse #@##@ would imply he kept his foot on the gas the whole time.

It's the final score that determines how badly someone got beat.

Old
  (#81)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
It's pretty hilarious how triggered some people get by Filler, just because he's brash and not American.

No.

I think turd is a concept that travels pretty well across all cultural lines.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#82)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-28-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Once again, I don't care to bet, but rest assured, the money has nothing to do with it. I've given my reasons.

By the way, if you're so rich, why not contribute some of your wealth to pool events and pool-related causes. In my life, I reckon I've contributed over $100,000 to pool events and pool-related causes, and I'm not talking about investments or business ventures, just contributions given with nothing expected in return. My pockets aren't exactly tight, but my taste for side betting on pool is near zero.

FYI, I am not living paycheck to paycheck. I am a wealthy man who retired at 50 and unless your net worth has nine digits in it, you're not financially out of my league. That said, wealth is a very trivial matter on the forum, and I'd never want to be defined by it. My posts should be the only measure of me around here. There is no relationship between wealth and quality posting on AZB.

You state it as if it were fact that only long-race play will define a true champion. That it your opinion, and what player in our sport's history has ever been counted among the greatest ever because of their results in the action room in marathon races? I've been to a lot of BCA Hall of Fame inductions, and I've never heard these marathon races, a relatively new novelty in our game, even mentioned.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I'll always believe that greatness is measured in major titles. For that reason, Filler's career cannot be compared to that of SVB, for SVB's major title count is way above that of Filler. Shane's level of accomplishment is still something that the 22 year old Filler can only dream of, but right now Filler is consistently outperforming Shane and, for some reason that I don't get, that seems to bother you a lot.
Hey Stu;

Can I hold a hundo?

In stark contrast to the bold arrogant statement that "I am the King now" by Filler was the gem that came from Skyler during a post doubles victory interview where it was pointed out that he might be on another MVP pace.

Sky responded that it was all about the Team and he added: "Who cares about the MVP, I just wanna get the cash."

Filler might be the genuine Killer but I'll continue rooting for guys like Sky and it's not just because I'm an American.

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#83)
Maxx
AzB Platinum Member
Maxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
No.

I think turd is a concept that travels pretty well across all cultural lines.

Lou Figueroa
Thanks, that was funny, and true.

Old
  (#84)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post
We've gone over this before. Chang only won by 7 games when they played.

Yes, Chang had a big lead after the first day, but a horse #@##@ would imply he kept his foot on the gas the whole time.
That was a shorter race and it was over on day won after Chang left him dripping ,, he also beat him in longer races confirmed here ,, and he's no secret that they have asked him to play and they have been declined ,,

If the shoe was on the other foot the huggers would be talking about it every time the best is mentioned ,,

Last edited by one stroke; 11-28-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Old
  (#85)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:25 AM

Filler is the real deal at this time, if he is really as good as he appears then he can act or say anything he wants. I have seen many before him rub their skills in the pool worlds face before and yes its irritating to some but when you are on top that's the time to do it.

I was not a fan of Carl Boyes for many years, partly because I thought his game was not that good. After watching him play I realized that Carl is a great player and after listening to him commentate and in interviews this year I am starting to appreciate Carl's knowledge and demeanor.

Maybe Filler will be a favorite of pool enthusiasts as time goes on and we are not so fearful of him beating our heroes. Remember he has the game already he might mature and be a great asset to the game.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#86)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Day 4 lineup

I hope Billy gets it done. Winning 1st set will be huge.

Bergman should be in front 4. Europe can sweep and he wouldn't play today.
Attached Images

Old
  (#87)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers

11-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
Hey Stu;

Can I hold a hundo?

In stark contrast to the bold arrogant statement that "I am the King now" by Filler was the gem that came from Skyler during a post doubles victory interview where it was pointed out that he might be on another MVP pace.

Sky responded that it was all about the Team and he added: "Who cares about the MVP, I just wanna get the cash."

Filler might be the genuine Killer but I'll continue rooting for guys like Sky and it's not just because I'm an American.

best,
brian kc
Points are well taken, Brian, and I also root hard for Skyler. I was over the moon at Alexandra Palace a year ago when he won the Mosconi MVP. I was, similarly, thrilled to be ringside when he won the Derby City 9-ball final this year and captured Master of the Table.

I'll be rooting hard against Filler today, but, to me, pool needs a cocky superstar like Filler and over the last eighteen months, in which three American-based WPA Sanctioned events were added to the World Pool Calendar (International 9-ball, WPA Players and WPA World 10-ball), Filler seems a good person to be carrying the torch for men's pro pool.

I'm not a Filler fan, just a fan of great pool and whoever is playing it at any given moment is entertaining me to the max. The kind of theater and energy that seem to be present anytime Filler plays is good for pool.

Old
  (#88)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-28-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
FYI, I am not living paycheck to paycheck. I am a wealthy man who retired at 50 and unless your net worth has nine digits in it, you're not financially out of my league.
Can I count the .00 as digits? How about the commas?

SJM was a Wharton grad if I recall (and a fine gentleman as well). Stu, my daughter, who you met, is at Marshall MBA school at USC now. She received a full fellowship after graduating from Temple. She plans on being a consultant at one of the big firms.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 11-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Old
  (#89)
plague
AzB Silver Member
plague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond reputeplague has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 10:50 AM

SJM never shy of an eloquent reply
hear hear
Quote:
LOL, I don't often bet on pool, and I wonder if I've bet more than $50 on a match since the 1990's. If I ever bet on pool again, though, it will be as a favor to a close friend who badly wants action. Same thing with stake-horsing --- I've seen far too much "business" done in my day to want to get involved in that, and rarely ever see big action matches where I'm sure everything's absolutely on the level.

If you were a close friend and I felt certain that you were good for the money, and I was 100% sure that no "business" was being done in the match, I'd consider betting $500,000 on Filler, but those conditions are not met here, so you'll have to find your action elsewhere. I only know you as a very capable poster on this forum.

If you devalue my opinion because side action doesn't especially interest me, that's your business, and also your prerogative. Unless I miss my guess, though, I've watched more long-race pool than all but a few on this forum, despite the fact that I don't enjoy it nearly as much as watching all the greats assemble to chase down a very difficult title.

Hey, maybe you're right and Shane would take down the bet. Who really knows?

Finally, thanks for the insult. Much appreciated. It is not in my nature to return the insult. On the bright side, you can put me on ignore, since you seem to view me as short-sighted and uninformed.

Old
  (#90)
RichSchultz
AzB Silver Member
RichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Nailed it, Stu!!! Man, wish I could’ve met you to say hello this week. But I understand why....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Page 6 of 13 « First 456 78 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: