Roys looking for matches for Filler

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as i know , Filler might think he wants to play 10 ball but Roy’s group isn’t running to that game and Mars has posted that’s what they are looking for
I don’t know when 10 ball all of a sudden took over as the gold standard from 9 ball that’s long been that for decades,, it’s clear to me it’s because of Shane’s break where he has the decided advantage
So that’s telling me that in 9 ball where the break is more even they don’t want any part of that or Mars would have said that in his post

If these two monsters are really serious about playing each other, seems like the obvious solution is for them to alternate sets with each player getting their choice every other set to play the game they desire to play - playing an even total number of sets, be at 2, 4, 6, 8 or whatever, playing the exact same length of race each set and playing for the exact same $ amount each set.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Shane turning down 9 ball? You people seem to be missing that point.

Julian

The problem is Shane doesn't really care if he gets action or not. Whoever challenges him has to meet his demands or there is no game. Shane feels he has an edge playing 10 ball on a standard diamond table so it is that or no action.

Fargo says it doesn't matter what game is being played. 824 is 824 whether it be 9 ball, 10 ball etc. The pros seem to not agree in this instance

Earl made some interesting comments before he played Shane on the 10 footer. He said the size of the table and pockets would lead to Shane getting less free games and evening the playing field.

I believe in 9 ball they both would get a lot of free games but it wouldn't be one sided in Shane's favor like 10 ball.

Josh shoots straighter than Shane but Shane has more experience and is more well rounded than Josh.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldnt assign too much reality or indication of future outcomes to what happened at the mosconi cup.

Races are obviously insanely short and the dialogue is likely about as real as professional wrestling's.

Not that they aren't trying to win, but it is a show.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt either player is afraid of the other, in either game. They are negotiating, and the point of negotiating is to get the best format for yourself. Plus, I doubt Filler is backing out of ten ball. That's probably his backer, who just got burned in a 10 ball match with SVB. Once burned, twice learned.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler can play some seriously good 10 ball....he was runner up to Chang on the 10 foot table Bigfoot 10 ball at DCC. He was also runner up to little Ko and the world 10 ball this year.
You and I have discussed in other threads that this kid has had success all over the planet in the last two years more than any other pool player’s 2 years in any era.

He is a remarkable player, and world #1... why not play Shane now at 10 ball when he’s finished higher than Shane in the big 2019 10 ball tournaments?
I think if Joshua responded with a sure to the 10 ball but in 5 separate races to 20...that would have added a nice twist to Shane’s offer to make it more palatable to Filler.

Do you think Filler's backers want to take on the undisputed King at his best game? What if Filler wins? How many people will want to play him after that?
If your in it for the cash, and most backers are.....why play the best and throw away money you could win from the low hanging fruit?
just sayin.....

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt either player is afraid of the other, in either game. They are negotiating, and the point of negotiating is to get the best format for yourself. Plus, I doubt Filler is backing out of ten ball. That's probably his backer, who just got burned in a 10 ball match with SVB. Once burned, twice learned.

Other people's money does spend easier...

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of us who do not gamble or care much for these type of things, why exactly are neutral rackers looked down upon in gambling matches? If there's that much money at stake, I want to make sure there's no shenanigans going on with the rack.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
For those of us who do not gamble or care much for these type of things, why exactly are neutral rackers looked down upon in gambling matches? If there's that much money at stake, I want to make sure there's no shenanigans going on with the rack.

The way to make sure there are no shenanigans is to rack your own...this is the mindset.

Of course then you don’t know what your opponent may be up to but if you’re playing big money at a pro level you better know all the rack tricks. Either to use them and stay competitive or to know what to look out for if you both decided against shenanigans.

A neutral racket may be just that, and rack very well for both. Or they might secretly lean one way or the other.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member

If I offered $5,000 cash to tilt the rack just enough to cause a foul on the break in 1-pocket I bet I could find someone to do it. Or leave a tiny gap behind the 10.

That's why.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
that's it! gypsy-soul

internet bravado at its funniest

It's not internet bravado my any stretch of the imagination.
If you run into him in person you'll change your tune :thumbup:.
He's always in action, and will have your feeble brain at its threshold for pain, long before he's done barking lmao.
You'll need a padded room before the nights over 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
that's it! gypsy-soul

internet bravado at its funniest

I like Gypsy-soul posting here...and I think he says what he means, and means what he says.

Sc...Thom can be a high roller....if you don’t have to post....:rolleyes:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
So for now Shane is the King of 10 ball and Filler the King of 9 ball. I guess

No, Shane is the king of RACK YOUR OWN 10 ball, if they go to neutral racker then that may very well change.

Not so sure Filler couldnt win RYO though, if Filler plays that game and wins, where does he go from there? Action is dead for him.

Roy's learned a valuable lesson about RYO backing Dennis against Shane.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think Filler's backers want to take on the undisputed King at his best game? What if Filler wins? How many people will want to play him after that?
If your in it for the cash, and most backers are.....why play the best and throw away money you could win from the low hanging fruit?
just sayin.....

We all seem to forget one thing. That at the very top of the food chain, players egos do get involved. When you have worked so hard to perfect your art at this game, one of the things you really want is to be considered the best there is. They may not say this openly, but in their heart of hearts they want to prove they are the best there is in the game of pool. And the only way to do that is to take on the leading contender(s).

This is the attribute that truly makes great champions, just like in boxing, tennis or golf. You have to beat the best to be the best!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I offered $5,000 cash to tilt the rack just enough to cause a foul on the break in 1-pocket I bet I could find someone to do it.

That's why.

If the breaker doesn’t know the rack is tilted, he’s probably going to lose anyway.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me thinks...

I think the "new self crowned king" could find lots of match ups if he wants to prove he is king.

He could play Shane, Chang and maybe Shaw or Wu 10 Ball. He could play Dennis or Alex, T Rex or Berg One Pocket, could play Billy Banks. Heck, maybe Chang and Shane and others would play him 8 Ball.

He could really show his kingliness and multi dimensional pool skills and take Sky or a couple of others on in some bar box 8 Ball. Lots of options.

But, if he is on a hot streak in 9 Ball that might be the only area of his kingdom he thinks he is strong enough to defend.

The quickest and maybe best way to show he is king f 9 Ball is to take a couple month trip to the Philippine's and Taiwan and announce a head of time where he will be. He could take on all cash players and make lots of loot playing 9 Ball.

I like 9 and 10 Ball best, but like One Pocket, but no one in my Hick town plays it. Being a King at pool means being good at more then one type of pool over the long haul

Efren was a King in pool, he played great in many games for a long time and got rich doing it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few comments after reading the posts (IMO of course):

-TAR 1 between Corey and Shane brought 10 ball to the masses and abandoned 9 ball as the “Pro” game of choice.

-If you ask the Pros from that moment until today, I’d guesstimate 90% of them would prefer both tournaments and gambling matches they are personally involved in to be 10 ball.

-Shane has had the no 9ball strong preference for over a decade. The only time he slipped was with Donny Mills. Shane beat him, and said he’d never gamble at that game again. Him turning down 9 ball by Filler is to be expected, and Filler/Roy know this.

-If I was Shane, I’d write on Fillers FB: “10 ball is the game of kings. 9 ball is the game of peasants”

-Mars mentioning Shane is fine with a neutral racker as long as players can request and inspect “all balls are frozen” should put to rest all the claims Shane is cheating the rack. Touching the balls very easily ensures they are all frozen.

-This all looks bad on Filler for backing down. Reminds me of Shaw not playing Bergman due to the pockets. But this is worse, because filler is fearless, or rather was;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way to make sure there are no shenanigans is to rack your own...this is the mindset.

Of course then you don’t know what your opponent may be up to but if you’re playing big money at a pro level you better know all the rack tricks. Either to use them and stay competitive or to know what to look out for if you both decided against shenanigans.

A neutral racket may be just that, and rack very well for both. Or they might secretly lean one way or the other.
Exactly the reasoning for using a template where all the balls are guaranteed to be frozen.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
A few comments after reading the posts (IMO of course):

-TAR 1 between Corey and Shane brought 10 ball to the masses and abandoned 9 ball as the “Pro” game of choice.

-If you ask the Pros from that moment until today, I’d guesstimate 90% of them would prefer both tournaments and gambling matches they are personally involved in to be 10 ball.

-Shane has had the no 9ball strong preference for over a decade. The only time he slipped was with Donny Mills. Shane beat him, and said he’d never gamble at that game again. Him turning down 9 ball by Filler is to be expected, and Filler/Roy know this.

-If I was Shane, I’d write on Fillers FB: “10 ball is the game of kings. 9 ball is the game of peasants”

-Mars mentioning Shane is fine with a neutral racker as long as players can request and inspect “all balls are frozen” should put to rest all the claims Shane is cheating the rack. Touching the balls very easily ensures they are all frozen.

-This all looks bad on Filler for backing down. Reminds me of Shaw not playing Bergman due to the pockets. But this is worse, because filler is fearless, or rather was;)

Roy doesn't want to play that way.

Has anybody heard Filler say he wont play neutral racker?