Simonis X-1

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
When Donny (sdbilliards) rebuilt my rails and recovered the table, he recommended the Simonis X-1. What the hell, I'm a gadget freak. So, here's what I found.

Normal table maintenance for me has always been brush every morning and afternoon, vacuum every other day, and wipe with a damp cloth every week to ten days.

To test the X-1: For one month, all I used was the X-1 every morning. No brush (except under rails now and then), no vacuum, no damp cloth. After a month, I wiped the table with a damp cloth. The amount of chalk picked up by the (white) cloth was almost undetectable. When the cloth was rinsed, the water did not even appear to turn blue.

Then, I used only the X-1 for two months. When I wiped the table with a damp cloth after that period, there seemed to be a little more chalk picked up, but still only a very small fraction of what I would pick up every week with the brush/vacuum cleaning.

The table always feels clean, and there seems to be far less of a "frizzies" problem with the X-1.

I am very happy with how well the X-1 is working. I think I will continue to use just the X-1, with a damp wipe every couple of months, for the life of the cloth, and see how things work out in the long run.

-Howard

<**your mileage may vary**>

sneekypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
simonis x-1

I've got lots of experience working with this tool, let me know when you change your cloth on the table if there is more chalk on the slate.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
When Donny (sdbilliards) rebuilt my rails and recovered the table, he recommended the Simonis X-1. What the hell, I'm a gadget freak. So, here's what I found.

Normal table maintenance for me has always been brush every morning and afternoon, vacuum every other day, and wipe with a damp cloth every week to ten days.

To test the X-1: For one month, all I used was the X-1 every morning. No brush (except under rails now and then), no vacuum, no damp cloth. After a month, I wiped the table with a damp cloth. The amount of chalk picked up by the (white) cloth was almost undetectable. When the cloth was rinsed, the water did not even appear to turn blue.

Then, I used only the X-1 for two months. When I wiped the table with a damp cloth after that period, there seemed to be a little more chalk picked up, but still only a very small fraction of what I would pick up every week with the brush/vacuum cleaning.

The table always feels clean, and there seems to be far less of a "frizzies" problem with the X-1.

I am very happy with how well the X-1 is working. I think I will continue to use just the X-1, with a damp wipe every couple of months, for the life of the cloth, and see how things work out in the long run.

-Howard

<**your mileage may vary**>

Howard, be careful with that damp cloth. The moisture will loosen the stretch and when it mixs with the chaulk it makes paste. I never use a damp cloth on my tables. Also, I have been selling the Simoins X-1 for $89.95 and that includes shipping.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Simonis X-1 Pool Table Cloth Cleaner

Our Community Room bought TWO, I though they were pricy, and I honestly would not have spent the money on them. But they do a darn good job.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Just had my table recovered with Simonis Tournament Blue. Bought the X-1 and it is the only thing that I have used to clean the table.

The previous cloth was orange and I have a ton of orange chalk left over. Found that using this color helps to spot chalk on the table. Could never understand why anyone wants a chalk to blend in and not be able to see. I want to see it so I can remove it.

I use the X-1 after every rack to remove any visible chalk tracks. Only takes a few seconds and really helps keep the table clean. A few quick passes over the marks and they are gone. Found that the bottom of the X-1 is turning blue from all the little fuzzies being picked up. Still haven't seen any orange chalk just the blue from the cloth.

The cloth still has that slick slide to it and looks brand new.

I noticed it does not always pick up any other foreign particles.

It is a nice accessory to have but I don't know how it works on other brands of cloth as it was developed for Simonis.

I had one spot that it would remove and sprayed it with Quick Clean. That product stained the cloth.

It is a little pricey but overall a cheap investment. Don't think I will use the Quick Clean any more and will stick to the X-1 with an occasional vacuum.

Dartman

Silver Member
It is a nice accessory to have but I don't know how it works on other brands of cloth as it was developed for Simonis.
It will work on any non-treated (teflon) worsted cloth. Not to be used on napped cloth. It's designed to remove chalk dust, not chalk marks. A damp (meaning really wrung out) microfiber towel makes short work of removing chalk marks - and - when done correctly does not affect the stretch of the cloth.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you have blue cloth and use orange chalk and when you use the X1 the bottom of the X1 turns blue?

Doesn't this make you think that the X1 isn't picking up the chalk? To me, it supports the theory that it is actually pushing the chalk under the cloth and not picking it up as the product claims. Any thoughts?

Dartman

Silver Member
So you have blue cloth and use orange chalk and when you use the X1 the bottom of the X1 turns blue?

Doesn't this make you think that the X1 isn't picking up the chalk? To me, it supports the theory that it is actually pushing the chalk under the cloth and not picking it up as the product claims. Any thoughts?

Already been discussed.
Here's one thread - http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=210228&highlight=simonis
Questions about the X1 should be directed to Ivan Lee at 800-SIMONIS

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hrm, I don't notice anything in the thread you linked that addresses the point that I've seen made about the X-1.... that it pushes the chalk under the cloth as much as it picks it up from the table.

The post above, which mentioned the bottom of the X-1 turning blue when using a combo of blue cloth but orange chalk, makes me wonder more than ever. Regardless, I've got one of these on the way and I guess I'll just test it out myself.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have read where others claim that a micro fiber cloth will do the same so I tried it. I took a new clean cloth, laid it flat and folded two opposite ends to the center and then folded that in half. I now had a cloth that is 1/4 in width. I then folded the long section in half. I held it so the edge with the most folds would drag along the surface of the table. I whisk it rapidly to create the static that is required.

The results are the same as with the X-1. I use a yellow cloth. It is getting tinted blue from the cloth and a little orange from the chalk that I use.

I Googled electrostatic cleaning cloths and found a lot of interesting articles about how and why they work.

Here is one:

http://www.meyersix.org/the_secret_life_of_swiffers.htm

One of the things that is not recommended is to dampen the cloth because it negates the static build up.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed it (green rep coming)! I never really thought about it but after looking at the list of electropositive materials I guess it explains why you can't use the X1 on teflon. Wool and nylon are way more electropositive than polyester but teflon is actually more electronegative than polyester so it would totally mess up the way the X1 works. I also noticed that it lists human hair as being very electropositive ..so any of you out there with a dandruff problem could potentially use the X1 on their head! :D (If you see a Simonis/Head and Shoulders partnership in the near future, remember that I mentioned it here first.)

Also, in my searching for other threads about the "chalk pushed under the cloth" theory that some people had ... I found one reply from someone that uses the X1 and Realkingcobra replaced his cloth and said there was hardly any chalk dust under the old cloth.

3-cushion fan

I use the Simonis now for a long time. Its fantastic. When i change the cloth, there is no chalk under the cloth. I clean some carom tables after they use it one year without Simonis X 1 . After a intensiv cleaning ( 30 minutes) it was running like NEW!
The problem with teflon or other things is, you change totally the reaktion of the balls.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the X-1 two months ago and it works great. I use it after each practice session. Then I cover the table to keep dust off. Per the instructions I take it outside every few weeks and slap my hand on it for a few minutes to dislodge the chalk it has been collecting.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had my table redone by Wes B and after about a year of using the X1 Exclusively i bought a new house, when Wes came back to move the table there was virtually zero chalk under the Simonis. Not suremexactlynhow it works but it is a great tool

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
These are cool. Of the few things I've got on my website, this is one of them. I sell it for $85 with no shipping fee within the lower 48.