Reload this Page 10 foot Diamond with 4-1/8" corner pockets
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
10 foot Diamond with 4-1/8" corner pockets
Old
  (#1)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10 foot Diamond with 4-1/8" corner pockets - 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM

I never liked tables that were too tight...........Until I found this table in Sun City West.
What a practice table. I learn more from my misses, so I should be learning a lot. I am up to a run of 5 in 9 ball now........Balls that is.

I went to the Ice House in Tempe a couple of weeks ago and checked out the 10 foot Diamond there. The corners are 4-1/4". I told the guy shooting on it that it was a nice table but a little loose.

Old
  (#2)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcantrall View Post
I never liked tables that were too tight...........Until I found this table in Sun City West.
What a practice table. I learn more from my misses, so I should be learning a lot. I am up to a run of 5 in 9 ball now........Balls that is.

I went to the Ice House in Tempe a couple of weeks ago and checked out the 10 foot Diamond there. The corners are 4-1/4". I told the guy shooting on it that it was a nice table but a little loose.
If you can learn to play runout pool on that table, you can surely play on anything - Good Luck! I have a 10-foot table that had 4-1/4" corners that we recently changed to 4-1/2" corners. Still plays very tough, but much fairer and is more enjoyable to play on.

Old
  (#3)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

01-16-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
If you can learn to play runout pool on that table, you can surely play on anything - Good Luck! I have a 10-foot table that had 4-1/4" corners that we recently changed to 4-1/2" corners. Still plays very tough, but much fairer and is more enjoyable to play on.
I have been using it for shot making practice, using my own variation of Colin's potting drill.

I start with shot number 2 since 1 is too tough to start with. I play the left hand against the right and just try to make each shot one time. A successful shot moves that hand to the next shot. Make and keep shooting. Starting out I could not even complete all 16 shots with either hand in an hour and a half(when I would start to lose focus). Now (4 weeks later) I am at just around an hour to complete all 16(with 4 in a row being my high run) and usually it is a dead heat between right and left at the end. A good practice session.

This table is tough but fair.

Last edited by gregcantrall; 01-16-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added link to Colin's potting drill

Old
  (#4)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

01-16-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Check out Dave's table difficulty factor thread - the 5th thread down from the top under the main forum page. Once you plug in your table's corner pocket specs, sounds like your table could possibly crack the top 5 toughest tables!

Tough...
Old
  (#5)
Ak Guy
AzB Silver Member
Ak Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Exclamation Tough... - 01-17-2018, 01:18 AM

That table looks so tough I would have trouble shooting the cue ball in a pocket!

Old
  (#6)
gregcantrall
Center Ball

01-17-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Check out Dave's table difficulty factor thread - the 5th thread down from the top under the main forum page. Once you plug in your table's corner pocket specs, sounds like your table could possibly crack the top 5 toughest tables!
I took a ruler with me this morning and I was wrong about the 4 1/8" It is actually 4".

Table Difficulty Factor

Pocket mouth size
Pocket throat size
3 3/8
Shelf depth
1 1/2
Calculate
Table Size Factor: 1.10
Pocket Size Factor: 1.20
Pocket Angle Factor: 1.00
Pocket Shelf Factor: 0.99
Table Difficulty Factor: 1.31
This table is too tough

Old
  (#7)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-17-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I took a ruler with me this morning and I was wrong about the 4 1/8" It is actually 4".

Table Difficulty Factor

Pocket mouth size
Pocket throat size
3 3/8
Shelf depth
1 1/2
Calculate
This table is too tough
It would be a "fun" table for sure, but I would never ever, ever, want to play a real match on that thing, or even enjoy watching a real match on it. My thing with tight tables past about 4.5 inches is that for most players that are not Jayson Shaw or Appleton, it takes out the nice stroke shots or pocket cheating for shape you can do in pool games. My home table is something like 4.3 inches and that is just enough where you have to aim but is enough that you can also have a bit of room to shoot a mm off at times.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#8)
gregcantrall
Center Ball

01-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
It would be a "fun" table for sure, but I would never ever, ever, want to play a real match on that thing, or even enjoy watching a real match on it. My thing with tight tables past about 4.5 inches is that for most players that are not Jayson Shaw or Appleton, it takes out the nice stroke shots or pocket cheating for shape you can do in pool games. My home table is something like 4.3 inches and that is just enough where you have to aim but is enough that you can also have a bit of room to shoot a mm off at times.
It is fun to practice the FUN da MENTALs on this table.(now I real eyes what I learned from CJ)
Every miss I analyze and try to determine if it was an aiming error or execution error.

Old
  (#9)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member

01-17-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Table Difficulty Factor

Pocket mouth size
Pocket throat size
3 3/8
Shelf depth
1 1/2
Calculate
This table is too tough
That would put your table as the 4th toughest table in the list, just ahead of the money table at Hard Times! I agree with another poster, that particularly considering this is a 10' table with these pockets will entirely change the way you play the game and would not be recommended if it is the only table you practice on. You will lose all your confidence in your ability to run balls!

Old
  (#10)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2018, 08:33 PM

I used to own a GC2 with 3 15/16" pockets.
I was never able to beat the 9 ball ghost on that table. No rifling balls unless they're dead center, no cheating for position, etc. It makes it a bit less fun.
Good on you for keeping at it. My old instructor told me that success makes one want to practice. Smaller pockets = more misses, less success. That can kill what motivates a player to practice.
Personally, I prefer to practice on the closest thing I can get to what I will be gambling on at the hall.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#11)
gregcantrall
Center Ball

01-17-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That would put your table as the 4th toughest table in the list, just ahead of the money table at Hard Times! I agree with another poster, that particularly considering this is a 10' table with these pockets will entirely change the way you play the game and would not be recommended if it is the only table you practice on. You will lose all your confidence in your ability to run balls!
I disagree, can't remember the word for making it a polite disagreement.
I have started playing 9 ball on it after a month of practice with only 2 balls.
Every shot is available on this table. I just had a very enjoyable evening playing 9 ball with the old ring game rules. All the shots are there. A ring game would be a gas on this table.....and it would be hard to loose much money.

The shelf got the lowest rating and it is possible to hit a loose shot and have it go back and forth 3 times and still drop(at the right speed).

When I took lessons in the '80s from a road player, one thing he stressed was "first of all be a shot maker."

Once you have the foundation built by practicing the fun da mentals. It is possible to do some amazing fancy work with the cue ball. It is sooooo rewarding to pull those shots off. By practicing in these most severe conditions I condition my mind to accept the most extreme challenges. Not to.............. welllllll ok to brag. I have finished some hill hill matches with extreme winning shots. That is the super bowl moment and feels so good.

I try not to limit myself as to what I could be capable of. Still on a high run of 5 balls. But I could pop 6 or 7 real soon.

Old
  (#12)
gregcantrall
Center Ball

01-26-2018, 05:40 PM

OMG!!!!! Red letter day! 9 ball break and run. As Ronnie O'Sullivan would say, "I am over the moon.😁😁

Sad day
Old
  (#13)
gregcantrall
Center Ball

Unhappy Sad day - 11-15-2019, 03:57 PM

I was the only person that enjoyed playing on Bigfoot. It was too tight for the others so when asked for 4 1/2Ē pockets Diamond replaced it with a 9 foot table. Be careful what you ask for.

I was told by the mechanic that it was going to Vegas then Derby City. I would love to see professionals playing on it.

Old
  (#14)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member

11-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Actually since this previous post I made, we changed our 10-foot Gabrielís pool table back to 4 1/4 inch corners. Donít ask me why! I still love practicing on it, but it is very humbling!

Old
  (#15)
Gunn_Slinger
AzB Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 68

11-15-2019, 10:19 PM

These super tight tables will eventually hurt your game. You start
'chinching' balls and not moving whitey . If you can't cut a ball down the rail
and move whitey 2-3 rails, that table will hurt your game.I've seen it
over and over since the 60'. A very good player told me: 'practice on what you
play on' .
Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: