Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Things I miss from what I call the good old days in the U.S.A.
Page 8 of 10 « First 678 910

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#106)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-28-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memikey
This is simply further evidence of the confusion between optimism/ambition versus reality/ability. It isn't a generation thing, it's timeless
To further that I also found a love letter from a woman right next to the tins. It was dated 1919. She was lightly complaining that whis was the third letter she had written and had yet to receive a responce.
Further proof that some things never change.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#107)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-28-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy
Totally different experence.
Can you elaborate on that? Of course it is a different experience, but what makes it unsafe? I would argue that riding a bus across the country today would be safer than in the past.

Old
  (#108)
sde
sde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

04-28-2008, 06:41 AM

This thread brings back lots of memories, some good and some bad, but mostly all good. It is funny how the mind works (mine anyways) and pushes all of the bad to the back and mostly what you remember is the good stuff.

One thing that I remember and miss is the "One Room School House", that had K-8 all in one room.
I was the best in my class for 4 years running, K, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Three of those years I was the only one in the class!

Midway through 3rd grade we moved to the city where the school had 2 rooms full of 3rd graders, what a shock that was to this young boy.

Steve

Old
  (#109)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

04-28-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-e
Can you elaborate on that? Of course it is a different experience, but what makes it unsafe? I would argue that riding a bus across the country today would be safer than in the past.
Sorry for you as can not live in the 50's or 60's, it was a different experence, you would have to experence personally to understand.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#110)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
What's unsafe about riding the bus cross country now? People do it all the time. I am not making fun of you, I just really want to know what you think is so unsafe about the bus.

Easy, I did it a few years back, Clarksburg, WV, to Colfax, California.

Two uneasy moments.

I got into downtown Cleveland at 3 A.M.
No real passengers to speak of.
Nothing but cranksters looking to rob someone.

Also, downtown Omaha.
We were told that gangs were riding around doing drive-by shootings and it might be wise to stay in the station. I did.

Old
  (#111)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde
This thread brings back lots of memories, some good and some bad, but mostly all good. It is funny how the mind works (mine anyways) and pushes all of the bad to the back and mostly what you remember is the good stuff.

One thing that I remember and miss is the "One Room School House", that had K-8 all in one room.
I was the best in my class for 4 years running, K, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Three of those years I was the only one in the class!

Midway through 3rd grade we moved to the city where the school had 2 rooms full of 3rd graders, what a shock that was to this young boy.

Steve
I attended two different one-room school houses. The first was just Kindergarten, first and second grade. The second was third and fourth graders. My older sister went to another one that was for fifth and sixth graders.

I made it through the fourth grade before the city school was built.

I often think of the low costs to really educate us. No computers, lockers, or any of that. Just a phone ( a really big technology), a water jug, and an outhouse or two (the girls used the one attached to the school, the boys had to trek 50 yards to theirs (can you say freeze you azz off in January?)

I've got a four inch scar on my right arm from the time I got hung up on a sharp, broken tree limb and it literally ripped open my arm and pulled the skin and fat away from it like skinning an animal. It was so cool looking inside my arm and seeing all the parts. Better than any textbook on anatomy! Fun until they used a scrub brush to remove the sap (cuz it was a pine tree) from my wound. Now that hurt!

I used to walk there----up hill, both ways....seriously. There was a big valley between our house and the school. Walking home through the pastures and playing were some of the best times ever....even in snowstorms. 'Cept for that time I fell crossing a barbed-wire fence and scraped my chest along a bunch of barbs...damn! that school was a fuggin' dangerous deal...now kids just worry about getting shot.

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#112)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Sorry for you as can not live in the 50's or 60's, it was a different experence, you would have to experence personally to understand.
I have no idea what you just said. Are you saying that I can't understand because I wasn't there?

Old
  (#113)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member

04-28-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo
Easy, I did it a few years back, Clarksburg, WV, to Colfax, California.

Two uneasy moments.

I got into downtown Cleveland at 3 A.M.
No real passengers to speak of.
Nothing but cranksters looking to rob someone.

Also, downtown Omaha.
We were told that gangs were riding around doing drive-by shootings and it might be wise to stay in the station. I did.
I undersand that those times may have been scary. Even without having experienced the 50's-70's, I think I can put out a good argument for bus travel being safer in modern times.

-I would bet there were just as many predators back then as there are now, we just didn't know it.
-Now that we have cell phones, we can call anyone if there is a problem of any nature. As a child back then if you got lost it may take days before anyone noticed.
-With the internet you can now track buses routes, as well as there progress along those routes fromt he comfort of your own home (if you were sweating your child's safety).

It seems that would be a lot safer now, I may be wrong. I would just like Cowboy to explain to me why it was safer then, that's all.

Old
  (#114)
sde
sde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

04-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjeff
I attended two different one-room school houses. The first was just Kindergarten, first and second grade. The second was third and fourth graders. My older sister went to another one that was for fifth and sixth graders.

I made it through the fourth grade before the city school was built.

I often think of the low costs to really educate us. No computers, lockers, or any of that. Just a phone ( a really big technology), a water jug, and an outhouse or two (the girls used the one attached to the school, the boys had to trek 50 yards to theirs (can you say freeze you azz off in January?)

I've got a four inch scar on my right arm from the time I got hung up on a sharp, broken tree limb and it literally ripped open my arm and pulled the skin and fat away from it like skinning an animal. It was so cool looking inside my arm and seeing all the parts. Better than any textbook on anatomy! Fun until they used a scrub brush to remove the sap (cuz it was a pine tree) from my wound. Now that hurt!

I used to walk there----up hill, both ways....seriously. There was a big valley between our house and the school. Walking home through the pastures and playing were some of the best times ever....even in snowstorms. 'Cept for that time I fell crossing a barbed-wire fence and scraped my chest along a bunch of barbs...damn! that school was a fuggin' dangerous deal...now kids just worry about getting shot.

Jeff Livingston
You mention kids having to worry about getting shot, that reminds me that it was rumored that a local farmer kept a shotgun loaded with rock salt at the ready if he caught you taking the short cut through his field. I'm not sure if that scared me more than the bull that was in that pasture!

I was never shot at and the bull never caught me, close a couple of times though.

It was so much fun... damn I miss those days.

Steve

Old
  (#115)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what you just said. Are you saying that I can't understand because I wasn't there?
Some things you have to experence to understand, and the whole experence can not be lived in 2008.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#116)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member

04-28-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Some things you have to experence to understand, and the whole experence can not be lived in 2008.
Please just tell me why it was safer.

Old
  (#117)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I undersand that those times may have been scary. Even without having experienced the 50's-70's, I think I can put out a good argument for bus travel being safer in modern times.

-I would bet there were just as many predators back then as there are now, we just didn't know it.
-Now that we have cell phones, we can call anyone if there is a problem of any nature. As a child back then if you got lost it may take days before anyone noticed.
-With the internet you can now track buses routes, as well as there progress along those routes fromt he comfort of your own home (if you were sweating your child's safety).

It seems that would be a lot safer now, I may be wrong. I would just like Cowboy to explain to me why it was safer then, that's all.

You could be right about awareness, but it certainly seems to me that there are many more predators out there than in the 50s & 60s. Not even close.
These are dangerous times, hoss.
Even in small town America, and that was never the case at one time.

I'm not saying you're wrong but very few of us who lived back then would agree with you, cell phones or not.

Would you put your 10 year old on a bus by himself and have him travel across several states? Wouldn't be a wise thing to do.
In the 50s 99.9% of the time that kid would be just fine. JMHO.

Old
  (#118)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member

04-28-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo
Would you put your 10 year old on a bus by himself and have him travel across several states? Wouldn't be a wise thing to do.
In the 50s 99.9% of the time that kid would be just fine. JMHO.
I guess it's hard for me to answer that. I will have my first kid around Christmas time and I don't think I would send him anywhere by himself when he is ten! Maybe my argument is geared more towards your average adult traveler.

Old
  (#119)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.

04-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I would just like Cowboy to explain to me why it was safer then, that's all.
I just don't have the time to go into a great explaination, i too busy for that. But lets say in the days of old people looked out for one another, and today it is most about the "ME" factor, and S***w everyone else.

Old
  (#120)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member

04-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I just don't have the time to go into a great explaination, i too busy for that. But lets say in the days of old people looked out for one another, and today it is most about the "ME" factor, and S***w everyone else.
I disagree, but thanks for trying to explain.......I guess.

Page 8 of 10 « First 678 910

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: