Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Things I miss from what I call the good old days in the U.S.A.
Page 9 of 10 « First 789 10

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#121)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-e
I disagree, but thanks for trying to explain.......I guess.
You are free to disagree.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#122)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Another great thing about our country!

Old
  (#123)
MikeJanis
Banned
MikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000

04-28-2008, 11:27 AM

I miss the old pull off can tops. The ones you could fling using the long part as a spring and the round part would fly.

When my som Matthew was about 8 we were walking by a river and the water had washed away a lot of the bank. Matt was looking down and saw these laying in the dirt and said "What are these?". I was like a little kid again when I saw them and taught him what to do with them.

That was the 1st time I thought I was getting old. I was about 27 then.

Old
  (#124)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2008, 04:46 PM

I miss double features at the movies on Saturday, and tossing Flattened Pop Corn Boxes in the air like spinners, and getting kick out of the movies for life. New week I was back in as the guy who kicked me out for life, had quit for a better job.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#125)
APA sleeper
AzB Silver Member
APA sleeper is a jewel in the roughAPA sleeper is a jewel in the roughAPA sleeper is a jewel in the rough

vCash: 500

04-28-2008, 07:56 PM

How's about when the sound track was not in sync with the film, or when the projectionist fell asleep and the film jammed and caught fire from the carbon arc used back then.

Old
  (#126)
MikeJanis
Banned
MikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJanis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000

04-28-2008, 09:49 PM

I miss the fact that, back then, gas in my truck each month was cheaper than my house payment.

Ahhhhh, the good old days.

I also miss when kids could go to the park all by themselves and all the neighbors and big kids watched out for them and each other.

Old
  (#127)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.

04-29-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJanis

I also miss when kids could go to the park all by themselves and all the neighbors and big kids watched out for them and each other.
So so true.

Old
  (#128)
maldito
AzB Silver Member
maldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond reputemaldito has a reputation beyond repute

04-29-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy
Pay Telephones ever where that cost 5, or 10 cents to make a local call from, before the invent of cell phones.

Calling 411 for free, and getting a live person to give you a need telephone number from directory assistance. Not having to deal with computers.

Doctors who drove Buick's, made house calls, and took care of you when you were sick. Remember paying $10.00 for an office visit, and walking out with Prescription Samples.

Red Coca Cola machines were ever where, loaded Coco Cola products in glass bottles costing only five cents for a cold soft drink.

Kids stand on corners after school, selling the afternoon edition of the local newspaper.

Having five or six daily newspapers to choose from, with morning and afternoon editions.

Having your mail delivery two times a day, and first class postage for a letter costing only five cents.

Local Soda/Candy Shop with counters where you could sit down and order a Milk Shakes made with Real Milk, and Real Ice Cream.

Community Drug Stores that sold a little bit of everything where all over town, before the day of Wal Mart, CVS, and Wal Greens capturing the market.

Every neighborhood has a ?little store?, it was kind of a mini market that had a mini selection of groceries. With a note from mom or dad, and we got to buy cigarettes, beer, or wine with no aggravation for our parents.

The local Market, or Grocery Store was the recycling Center of yesteryear, and we could turn in collected Pop Bottles for Money.

The Cars we drove did not need no stink computer to work on, they required simple tune ups consisting of changing the Points, Plugs, Condenser, and Setting the Timing.

Gas/Service Stations Attendants use fill your Car or Trucks Gas Tank for you, plus the Gas/Service Stations Attendants cleaned your Windshield & Check your Oil, Water, Belts, etc.

Banks would have give always of Sets of Flatware, Toasters, Set of Dishes, etc. just for opening an account.

Going to the local story and find sign at end of isles list products from on that isle on in ENGLISH.

Call companies customer service number, and have the phone answer by someone in American, not the Philippines, India, or some other place off shore.

Riding a Bicycle, or Skatebaord without a helmet. Driving my car with out having to waer a seatbelt for the frear of geting a ticket.

American Industry was know for solving problems with new product that were manufactured in America, by American Workers. Not importing more than we exported, and the word ?issues? people were talking about we issues of magazine, or newspapers.

Plus Political Correctness, was not correct.
Playing pool and laying my cigarette on the table when i'm shooting!!

Replacement parts at a fair price
Old
  (#129)
cueandcushion
Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
cueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to cueandcushion  
Replacement parts at a fair price - 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM

I am needing a new bag for my lawn mower. The replacement bag that mice ate through will cost $125.00. I bought the mower on sale at Home Depot 3 years ago for $179.00. Something a little off here?

*sigh*

Craig - Saint Louis MO - Cue & Cushion Billiards -

Now celebrating our 50th year in business! Remember, you can help your local room survive or post about it later that it went under.

Since 1966- Family owned and family friendly

Old
  (#130)
Cuephoric
1hole anyone?
Cuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond repute

04-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Does anyone else remember laying in the back window of the car and watching the stars while mom and dad were driving home?

I remember as a kid in Kansas going to a poolhall, that for .25 got you a game and the house racked every game for you.....
I found a place in Liberal that still does that a few years ago, but they were up to like .35 a game.
And still had an old jukebox loaded up from the 60's-70's........

Being a kid running around town after dark, and nobody cared. And everyone knew who's kids belonged to who.
God, the constitution, and the flag were something to be believed in, and nobody would even think of acting otherwise.
And McDonalds didn't have Jalapenos on the menu.....

"I bet you are some guy that cant play a #%$&* radio!!" - Donny Mills

"If you need weight, you don't need action, you need practice!"-Cuephoric

Great and beautiful cues may come and go, but ugly ones will keep showing up in your closet years after you thought they were gone........

Playing cues- STEVE KLEIN, Bobby Hunter, James White Conversion, Abear
Case- Murnak, Predator,instroke

Follow me to make money and support our sports!
http://www.competebank.com/login.php?refer=131

Old
  (#131)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.

04-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuephoric
Does anyone else remember laying in the back window of the car and watching the stars while mom and dad were driving home?
One the package rack before seatbelt laws.

Quote:
I remember as a kid in Kansas going to a poolhall, that for .25 got you a game and the house racked every game for you.....
I found a place in Liberal that still does that a few years ago, but they were up to like .35 a game.
And still had an old jukebox loaded up from the 60's-70's........
The room I went with my Uncle was like that in the 50's.

[/QUOTE]Being a kid running around town after dark, and nobody cared. And everyone knew who's kids belonged to who.
God, the constitution, and the flag were something to be believed in, and nobody would even think of acting otherwise.
And McDonalds didn't have Jalapenos on the menu.....[/QUOTE]

Amen.

Old
  (#132)
APA sleeper
AzB Silver Member
APA sleeper is a jewel in the roughAPA sleeper is a jewel in the roughAPA sleeper is a jewel in the rough

05-01-2008, 06:25 AM

I remember when pool rooms didn't have these new modern looking gold crowns.

Old
  (#133)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-e
Can you elaborate on that? Of course it is a different experience, but what makes it unsafe? I would argue that riding a bus across the country today would be safer than in the past.
Good argument to make... This lady had her 9 year old do the bus thing (alone! gasp!) around NYC:
A nation of hysterics
Rocky Mountain News
by Paul Campos

?At the beginning of the 21st century, the typical American suburb is just about the safest place that has ever existed in the history of the world ? yet it?s full of terrified people. Statistics have little power in the face of a media environment in which extraordinarily rare events, such as strangers kidnapping children, are presented as commonplace by profit-hungry ?news? outlets, for whom the bottom line is that fear sells. Politicians realize this too. The ongoing overreaction to the 9/11 terrorist attacks is only the most vivid example of how our leaders cynically exploit our fears by making wildly exaggerated claims, such as that Islamic terrorism poses an ?existential threat? to America.? (04/30/08)

http://tinyurl.com/3l9zdg
Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#134)
Cuephoric
1hole anyone?
Cuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond reputeCuephoric has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2008, 10:23 AM

You know what I think I really miss the most these days?
I know it's kinda of a stretch, but, .55/gal gas (That's as far back as I can remember)
I remember back in the 70's two gas station owners in Houston having a feud, across the street from each other.
At one point, they were selling gas for .35/gallon and people were driving from Louisiana to get it!
My Grandpa went with four 55 gallon barrels to fill up.....lol

Now THOSE days, are looong gone.

"I bet you are some guy that cant play a #%$&* radio!!" - Donny Mills

"If you need weight, you don't need action, you need practice!"-Cuephoric

Great and beautiful cues may come and go, but ugly ones will keep showing up in your closet years after you thought they were gone........

Playing cues- STEVE KLEIN, Bobby Hunter, James White Conversion, Abear
Case- Murnak, Predator,instroke

Follow me to make money and support our sports!
http://www.competebank.com/login.php?refer=131

Old
  (#135)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.

05-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuephoric
You know what I think I really miss the most these days?
Wish I could spend the rest of my life in the 1950's in Florida.

Page 9 of 10 « First 789 10

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: