How to 'match' slates

akwusmc

Registered
If one were to buy a table in an already dismantled state, how would one go about matching the slates back to the factory positions?

Are there obvious machining marks that would line up or is the procedure more 'subtle'?

TIA

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If one were to buy a table in an already dismantled state, how would one go about matching the slates back to the factory positions?

Are there obvious machining marks that would line up or is the procedure more 'subtle'?

TIA

You can sometimes tell by what was used to fill the seams, wax, bondo or plaster. The marks on the slate can also help. Let us know how it worked out for you?

Trent from Toledo

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can usually see swirls from the grinding equipment. Line up the swirls and you should have them the way they came from the factory.

akwusmc

Registered
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen; it's been quite a while since I set up a table I'd forgotten (of course, that was new).

Trent, I haven't bought anything yet but some of the tables I see on Craigslist are already broken down and I was wondering if there were any 'tricks'. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Tom, I had thought there might be machining marks to match up but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen; it's been quite a while since I set up a table I'd forgotten (of course, that was new).

Trent, I haven't bought anything yet but some of the tables I see on Craigslist are already broken down and I was wondering if there were any 'tricks'. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Tom, I had thought there might be machining marks to match up but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation!

For what its worth, I prefer to buy tables that are still assembled so I can do a solid assessment of the table as I take it apart. Much easier to notice if things are missing or broken! You can also mark everything(slates especially) with a marker to make it easier to reassemble it. Keep us posted. Happy pool table hunting!

Trent from Toledo :thumbup: