Practice One Pocket Alone

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a post on Facebook from Chohan complaining that he can’t find a match and it got me thinking: How do one pocket players practice alone?

Other than just practicing specific shots, is there a way to emulate a full game alone? I doubt it. Playing as both players would be tough to stay interested. Much more so than playing the ghost in 9-ball.

Any other game is easy to practice alone but one pocket truly is unique in that an opponent is necessary to get the full experience or anything close to it.

Now I understand why pros always want to play these long races to 40. It’s the only time they get real practice from an equally skilled opponent. Otherwise, they are spotting locals 10-6 and likely playing a totally different style since they are so much more dominant than their opponents.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a post on Facebook from Chohan complaining that he can’t find a match and it got me thinking: How do one pocket players practice alone?

Other than just practicing specific shots, is there a way to emulate a full game alone? I doubt it. Playing as both players would be tough to stay interested. Much more so than playing the ghost in 9-ball.

Any other game is easy to practice alone but one pocket truly is unique in that an opponent is necessary to get the full experience or anything close to it.

Now I understand why pros always want to play these long races to 40. It’s the only time they get real practice from an equally skilled opponent. Otherwise, they are spotting locals 10-6 and likely playing a totally different style since they are so much more dominant than their opponents.
Practice banking and spot shots will go a long way to helping your 1p game.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Soft break and take ball in hand. Run as many as you can in one hole, of course.
Grady used to do this until he ran 15 in his pocket. That’s all he practiced for one hole.

Play one ball and two balls left as each player. Practice long rail kicks that hang outside the other pocket. After setting up a situation, practice starting a run with a cut-back, cross corner bank.

Practice two rail banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can practice it like rotation. Throw 3 balls out on your 1/4 of table. Ball in hand to start. Run all 3. After you feel good about that , more spread out. You feel good about that, more balls.

You can make it as hard as you like. No banks, all banks, no 1 rail banks.

Oh and Tony can play rotation:)

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tenfttall gave you some helpful advice.

In addition I would suggest practicing any and all types of banks and kick shots, especially cross corner banks as these are the banks that potentially lead to game winning situations more than many of the others.

I would also recommend practicing a wide variety of caroms shots and simple combinations.

Learning the proper patterns for running high numbers of balls into a single pocket will be one of the most beneficial exercises you can do. It wouldn't hurt to find a billiard table and become familiar with how the cue ball travels multiple rails from various angles. This can be eye opening for anyone who hasn't tried it.

Tom

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tenfttall gave you some helpful advice.

In addition I would suggest practicing any and all types of banks and kick shots, especially cross corner banks as these are the banks that potentially lead to game winning situations more than many of the others.

I would also recommend practicing a wide variety of caroms shots and simple combinations.

Learning the proper patterns for running high numbers of balls into a single pocket will be one of the most beneficial exercises you can do. It wouldn't hurt to find a billiard table and become familiar with how the cue ball travels multiple rails from various angles. This can be eye opening for anyone who hasn't tried it.

Tom

Tom you are a great ambassador-teacher of the game. I have to disagree with the billiard table suggestion for 2 reasons.
1. Billiard tables dont have pockets. Pockets not only "pocket" balls they also effect how the cushions play.
2. Billiard balls do not act/react the same as pool balls do.

Keep up the good work:smile:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Playing both sides is invaluable one pocket practice for recognizing safety opportunities/dangers - which are far more common than runout opportunities.

Practice staying interested.

pj
chgo

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Intrigued by this game, and never having played it, I played a couple games by myself Tuesday night.

I don't find emulating 2 different players to be all that difficult... I think the most difficult part was keeping track in my head of who's turn it was.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom you are a great ambassador-teacher of the game. I have to disagree with the billiard table suggestion for 2 reasons.
1. Billiard tables dont have pockets. Pockets not only "pocket" balls they also effect how the cushions play.

Alpha, I would point out that possibly the most inventive One Pocket player of all time, Efren Reyes, was and is a very strong Billiard player. He has used the skills he learned as a three cushion player to enhance his pool skills. Though the two games have their differences they also have their similarities as well. A good student of both games will find ways of incorporating those similarities to better his overall skills.

I have used many of the billiard situations I have encountered to trap and escape traps while playing One Pocket. Trust me, It won't hurt and It's a great game.
Thanks for the plug. :smile:

Tom

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Alpha, I would point out that possibly the most inventive One Pocket player of all time, Efren Reyes, was and is a very strong Billiard player. He has used the skills he learned as a three cushion player to enhance his pool skills. Though the two games have their differences the also have their similarities as well. A good student of both games will find ways of incorporating those similarities to better his overall skills.

I have used many of the billiard situations I have encountered to trap and escape traps while playing One Pocket. Trust me, It won't hurt and It's a great game.
Thanks for the plug. :smile:

Tom
Agreed. The most devastating shots I've encountered in one pocket were from 3-cushion players like One Pocket Ghost (who delivers my regular 1P spanking).

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use two different cues, and while at the table with one cue the other (my "opponent's" cue) is leaning against the opponent's chair. It gives you a lot of real game situations from both perspectives of the game.
And when you lose you really win! Lol

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intrigued by this game, and never having played it, I played a couple games by myself Tuesday night.

I don't find emulating 2 different players to be all that difficult... I think the most difficult part was keeping track in my head of who's turn it was.

I just use a coin or something else to mark the pocket for the next player (me) as soon as my inning is over.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Tom worked with me on 3c shots last week. Everything and anything learned helps 1p.
We started working on 4-5 rail banks. There are many things can be practiced alone. Work on drills and take them to the game. Master the take outs and safe zones. Work on cue ball speed. Find a shot. Create a shot. Make something happen.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I

^^^ this, I find it fairly easy to practice alone playing both sides.

but when playing against myself, I still lose 75% of the time :eek:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
There are more games than days of the week, he just has to give up weight.

There isn't a huge line of people who will play him even, and he probably doesn't like the game for most of the ones who will play even.

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
The pool room that I play at is mostly dead at the time that I get to go. As far as one pocket practice goes, I normally try interesting shots that I see on Accu-stats or youtube that I wouldn't have thought of myself. I'll play one ball one pocket to simulate the end game, and usually speed control shots to stick the cue ball on the head rail.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
opposite hand

You can play yourself opposite hand too, pretty punishing. I only go to seven balls if the game is pretty even. Chasing one ball around the table can make you crazy. Not that I Recommend stopping in the middle of a run.

Getting one of the shot books by Ray Martin or Freddy the Beard and going through it can be great practice for one pocket. You will use many of those shots over and over. Spot shots and practice rooting out balls that are deep in the jaws of a hole is good practice too.

There is a one pocket forum that is pretty friendly with this one, why there isn't a one pocket subforum here I believe. A tremendous amount of knowledge over there, both past and present. Many of the greats that we have lost posted there and I think it is all archived.

Hu

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice ALL banks, to each hole, especially short banks behind
the stack... passing the cue ball to avoid a double kiss.
Long straight-back banks while getting safe.

Look at the stack for dead ones, caroms and kisses.. those can
get you out. Spot shots for sure.. and it's boring, but practice the
break, re-rack, break, etc. You could sell out the beginning of a
game with a crappy break!

$.02