linen wrap question ...?

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
A customer brings you a cue that has a leather wrap and he wants it replaced with a linen wrap.
The wrap groove is .040" ... (to deep for the linen wrap to lay flush with the cue surface).

Can you share your best method of building the wrap groove back up to to proper depth?

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 412

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Willie,
There was a post called "wrap groove to low" last month. I'm not sure how to post a link to it but you can do a search to find it.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the last poster said.

There are a number of ways including epoxy, veneer, glued string, etc.

Read the thread and pick your poison.

I personally like the veneer method, myself but epoxy is very popular.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Just double wrap. Epoxy the first one and sand .
Double the charge . At least .

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know much about cue-making but the thought of building up the wood surface higher so the the
linen wrap could lay flush with the butt made me wonder if you could use teflon tape like is used in PVC
threaded pipe connections. It is extremely thin and can be stretched tight and layer rolled to the desired
height and it could be installed pretty evenly too. But then I start to wonder about durability over
the years and the probability of the tape becoming dry and brittle. Perhaps if there was some way to
preserve and protect the tape using glue might help but like I wrote, I understand pool cue anatomy
but possess minimal knowledge of cue-making and repair so my idea is probably going to be in left field.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If you have UV capability, fill the groove in with the UV finish, cure it, then cut a new wrap groove to the desired depth.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Regular masking tape carefully wound on to get it up to right thickness is probably the fastest solution.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t know much about cue-making but the thought of building up the wood surface higher so the the
linen wrap could lay flush with the butt made me wonder if you could use teflon tape like is used in PVC
threaded pipe connections. It is extremely thin and can be stretched tight and layer rolled to the desired
height and it could be installed pretty evenly too. But then I start to wonder about durability over
the years and the probability of the tape becoming dry and brittle. Perhaps if there was some way to
preserve and protect the tape using glue might help but like I wrote, I understand pool cue anatomy
but possess minimal knowledge of cue-making and repair so my idea is probably going to be in left field.

Bava,
The linen still has to be glued down - what glue sticks to teflon?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've seen people use electrical tape. They gum out eventually and get outside of the linen.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wraps

The decision as to what to use to gain the tolerance needed for a new wrap depends solely on how many thousands you need to build up. Although, as mentioned by Chris, if your ends are unevenly deep you probably go with epoxy. The sport wraps replacements are the most challenging. It pays to have a few extra thick leather blanks around. Few years ago I bought two hides Brown/Black that varied from .020 to .065 thickness thought I had wasted my money until they help me solved the odd jobs easily.

Mario

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno the answer to that one; like I acknowledged, don’t know much about cue-making or repair.
it seems like that type of tape could be better layered evenly than any other type of tape I’ve seen.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s still not a proper method to use though, and shouldn’t be recommended. Even on the roll, you can squeeze the tape and distort it.

Have you any experience with this? I learned this by working on some cues a well known cuemaker did that way. And they worked fine. Thin white masking tape wrapped on correctly is a good method. You can also compress Irish linen roll, but several thousandths of masking tape works fine. Saying something is not a proper method based on theory is not proper. This is not theory for me it comes from experience.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno the answer to that one; like I acknowledged, don’t know much about cue-making or repair.
it seems like that type of tape could be better layered evenly than any other type of tape I’ve seen.

Nobody else knows the answer to it either. There isn't any. It is easy to evenly layer masking tape. Teflon tape is manageable because it grabs onto threads. If you had to evenly layer Teflon tape on a 12" long smooth cylinder it wouldn't seem like that any longer.

In very short order, the linen cord would bond to itself and be completely free of the handle and you would have a 12" free spinning linen cord tube on the handle with Teflon tape wanting to bunch up underneath it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Mr. Hightower and Mr. Peterson. There is nothing set in stone. I've seen many methods and try to understand each one.