Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue & Case Gallery
Reload this Page Opinions on Cue Wrap
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Good point.

Just going from leather to linen poses additional work having to build up the wrap groove as I understand it.

If it is finish over leather that issue is greatly compounded with an even deeper groove and the necessity to strip the entire cue I would guess.

i've had this problem and always wondered why a thicker gauge of linen couldn't be used.

Old
  (#17)
Robert58
AzB Gold Member
Robert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosopherKing View Post
i've had this problem and always wondered why a thicker gauge of linen couldn't be used.
Back in the 60's I had a two piece cue that had a leather wrap that came unglued. I took it of and sent down to the sporting goods store and I bought some braided deep sea fishing line big enough to fill the groove. I think it was 60 lb. test. Had different colors every 6 ft. Turned out looking like some of the wrap leather wraps they are doing now. Sure added a fair amount of weight thou.

But I have aa JD Cue made in 2011 that I bought used. I wanted to replace the leather wrap and when my cue repair man removed the wrap we found out the leather was .045 thick. I called Superior Cues and had them shive a piece of Spanish Bull leather .045 to .048 thick. Really came out nice. I think that is the thickness leather should be anyway. I can't stand these new cues with the thin hard leather on them.

Old
  (#18)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I guess it could be if you could find the right thickness. Considering linen fishing line isn't made any more the alternatives for variety are few. The linen made for cues now is all the same thickness as far as I know. Getting it to feel right and look right might be another matter as well.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#19)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, one of the techniques of the cuemaker is to use what's called fine line tape against the outer grooves of the wrap channel to build it up, just a tiny bit before putting the linen wrap on. Then, when they press the linen wrap, it's absolutely perfect on the buttsleeve and forearm.

All the best,
WW

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: