Revo review, I don't like the fact that I like it

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So my kid got a 12.4mm Revo along with an Ikon cue. I have to say, I enjoy playing with it. The hit with the stock tip is soft, I have good cueball control, and it spins the cueball really easily. I probably have to use 20% less power to do the same thing with this shaft as with anything else I have tried.

Hit with the Ikon cue and uni-lock pin also surprised me but that may be due to the softer tip.

As someone that has never liked Predator shafts much (too dead for me in feel) and I still feel that you should send money to your local custom cuemaker instead for the price of most Predator cues, I really do not like the fact that I like the Revo shaft LOL

I wanted not to like it, in theory it should not be like anything I like, but I do, I like the Revo shaft. I have played with a ton of shafts, and did not take me anything to adjust to the LD properties of the Revo. I went from my normal cue to the Revo and did not seem to miss any more.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
So my kid got a 12.4mm Revo along with an Ikon cue. I have to say, I enjoy playing with it. The hit with the stock tip is soft, I have good cueball control, and it spins the cueball really easily. I probably have to use 20% less power to do the same thing with this shaft as with anything else I have tried.

Hit with the Ikon cue and uni-lock pin also surprised me but that may be due to the softer tip.

As someone that has never liked Predator shafts much (too dead for me in feel) and I still feel that you should send money to your local custom cuemaker instead for the price of most Predator cues, I really do not like the fact that I like the Revo shaft LOL

I wanted not to like it, in theory it should not be like anything I like, but I do, I like the Revo shaft. I have played with a ton of shafts, and did not take me anything to adjust to the LD properties of the Revo. I went from my normal cue to the Revo and did not seem to miss any more.

A good, honest, right to the point review. Thanks.

I can see the future in CF shafts. Who wouldn't want a non-warping, forever slick shaft that doesn't nick? The part I think I would have the most problem adjusting to would be the black shaft.

Now...if they could figure out a way (without painting i.e. Becue) to make the shaft look more like maple...…

Maniac

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s a cue maker in Germany that’s been making carbon composite shafts with some type of wood-like finish, here: https://www.goshafts.com/webshop/shafts/go-pro/detail/28/go-pro.html

I don’t know anything else about them, but I got the link from discussions on Cuetec’s Facebook page announcing their CF shaft.

img2157.jpg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s a cue maker in Germany that’s been making carbon composite shafts with some type of wood-like finish, here: https://www.goshafts.com/webshop/shafts/go-pro/detail/28/go-pro.html

I don’t know anything else about them, but I got the link from discussions on Cuetec’s Facebook page announcing their CF shaft.

img2157.jpg

This was a shaft I was looking around for info on also, found the name, found the finishes, but no-one around me has one we can try, and it may not be till SBE or even there that I am likely to play with it.

We need more products that work like cars and musical instruments, you go in, you try a dozen or more for a period of time, you can decide. It is tough to spend a few $100 on something you may nor may not like and then take a 30% loss on when reselling.

eekster24

Registered
This was a shaft I was looking around for info on also, found the name, found the finishes, but no-one around me has one we can try, and it may not be till SBE or even there that I am likely to play with it.

We need more products that work like cars and musical instruments, you go in, you try a dozen or more for a period of time, you can decide. It is tough to spend a few $100 on something you may nor may not like and then take a 30% loss on when reselling.

The GO pro shaft genius is actually from Holland and not Germany. :)

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like but cant get one

I have a slightly different problem where I bought a Revo 12.4mm, liked it but notice defects so exchanged it for another. However, the second one also had defects and so I got my money back as the dealer had no more in stock. Fast forward 8 months, I still cannot get one and sort of wish I kept the first one.

Hit Man

<-------GANGSTA'
Silver Member
Revo

Very skeptically, I traded for a Revo cue. Up to this point, Predator shafts and me have had a long history of love/hate relationships. I ended up either selling or trading every one of them until now because of play inconsistency and not performing up to the hype. I have the P3BN with a 12.9 Revo shaft. 90% better IMO. My likes: 1- No glare from the shaft under the table lights. Thats a huge one for me. That allows me to precisely judge the hit spot on the cue ball under a broader range of conditions. 2- The shafts taper is very comfortable. 3- The shaft stays smooth, low maintenance during the match. Hey, fuggettaboutit! 4- The soft Victory tip performs well right out of the box. 5- LOW learning curve. Consistency and repeatability. 6- Less stroke effort, more spin, easier to control the cue ball, yadda,yadda,yadda.

Now for the 10% I don't care for. 1- Off center hits can sometime give the cue a cheap, hollow sound. Tink, tank, tonk and an occasional twang. The hallmark of all Predators. If you can live with all that, plus the fact that it's not entirely made of wood, you'll probably like it.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My likes: 1- No glare from the shaft under the table lights. Thats a huge one for me. That allows me to precisely judge the hit spot on the cue ball under a broader range of conditions.

I must say that I've played pool for over 50 years with thousands of people and you are the only person I've ever heard mention "glare" from a shaft bothering them.

Now for the 10% I don't care for. 1- Off center hits can sometime give the cue a cheap, hollow sound. Tink, tank, tonk and an occasional twang. The hallmark of all Predators. If you can live with all that, plus the fact that it's not entirely made of wood, you'll probably like it.

I don't wand to make this a Becue thread, but off center hits with the Becue feel like you are hitting center cue ball. There are no "tink, tink" sounds or vibrations.

My thoughts are in red.