what separates levels of players?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The difference is who gambles more (and better).... :p

Whoops, that's another thread, isn't it? :grin-square::smile::embarrassed2:

JC

Coos Cues
Please stop with all the nonsense answers.

It's the player with the carbon fiber shaft and the expensive layered tip.:wink:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
This may be a bit simple, but the separation is the number of errors you make per match. Better players make fewer errors on average. And by errors, I mean any shot you make that directly results in losing control of the table. I believe that is even the crux of Accu-Stats ratings. If you are losing without missing a ball, you are making a bunch of defensive errors (assuming the set isn't being run out on you).

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
The brain-eye-hand connection is what separates speeds. It’s maybe 90% of what determines your speed.

Knowledge, strategy, handling pressure, attitude, etc, is about 10%.

Every single post in this thread is opinion, and this is mine:)

^^^^

I like this.....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave your list gives way more weight to practice and knowledge than innate ability (nature).

The first thing on your list is tons of time. You ask any pro, they got almost their entire ability within 2 years of picking up a cue. That negates your theory right off the bat.

Corey came into Drexeline billiards at age 14. At age 16, he was already a national level player and “on the road”. Same with Schmidt. Only he started at 18 or 19.

Almost every instructor gives way more weight to “practice and knowledge”. It would be foolish for an instructor to say you either have it or you don’t. They’d be limiting their income.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich...That's because it's true! As far as income goes, MOST professional instructors teach because they love to teach, and want to share information...not because of potential income.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Almost every instructor gives way more weight to “practice and knowledge”. It would be foolish for an instructor to say you either have it or you don’t. They’d be limiting their income.

Reactions: JC

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave your list gives way more weight to practice and knowledge than innate ability (nature).

The first thing on your list is tons of time. You ask any pro, they got almost their entire ability within 2 years of picking up a cue. That negates your theory right off the bat.

Corey came into Drexeline billiards at age 14. At age 16, he was already a national level player and “on the road”. Same with Schmidt. Only he started at 18 or 19.

Also great players play "to win" and don't play "not to lose". Their mind-set is geared different. A decent amount of talent, burning desire and playing to win will get it. I asked David Matlock how quick he was competitive at pool and he told me about 6mos. Mind you he already played some 3c as well so his learning curve was a tad shorter. He also might be the most competitive person i've ever met. I know times have changed and i'm not knocking good instruction but most great players that i know personally never took a formal lesson. Saw better players, copied what they saw and played a TON of pool.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO it's the desire to always be better, get better..... along with the
ability to translate the mental picture into the desired result on the
table.

td

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The brain-eye-hand connection is what separates speeds. It’s maybe 90% of what determines your speed.

Knowledge, strategy, handling pressure, attitude, etc, is about 10%.

Every single post in this thread is opinion, and this is mine:)
I think what you call "brain-eye-hand connection" is what predominantly separates the B and under players.

For A players and above, it's all about consistency. I don't think there is much more a pro player knows compared to your typical A player (only talking about the basic rotation games and 8 ball). Nor do I think a pro player has any special physical gifts that a typical A player does not possess as well. It's simply the pro player is much more consistent...i.e. makes fewer mistakes overall. And I do believe the mental game plays a huge part in how one becomes more consistent. The mental game between an A player and a pro player is miles apart.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what you call "brain-eye-hand connection" is what predominantly separates the B and under players.

For A players and above, it's all about consistency. I don't think there is much more a pro player knows compared to your typical A player (only talking about the basic rotation games and 8 ball). Nor do I think a pro player has any special physical gifts that a typical A player does not possess as well. It's simply the pro player is much more consistent...i.e. makes fewer mistakes overall. And I do believe the mental game plays a huge part in how one becomes more consistent. The mental game between an A player and a pro player is miles apart.
Ditto the mental/confidence aspect. I play golf with some guys that have all the physical tools: distance, decent accuracy, good short games. You'd think from watching they should be on tv. Well, they just don't have it upstairs and they'll be the first to say it. There's a fine line between the PGATour and selling cars and its almost all mental.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At lower levels it's fundamentals
Then it's fundamentals and pattern play
Once you get to the upper levels it's basically just consistency and nerves

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How do you explain low level pro vs mid-level pro vs high level pro. Lets say Joe Tucker vs Oscar D vs Shane. All 3 of them were probably born with a cue in their hand, devoted their entire lives to the game, and played every which way possible. I doubt there is a single shot one knows that the other two do not. Or a single mental trick, or drill, or game strategy, or xyz. And of the 3, I doubt one worked harder or "wanted" it more than the other two. Yet, there is a crystal clear difference between all 3 of them. And since they've each been active as pro's, their relative pecking order has not changed in 20 years. Maybe their pecking order is determined by their genetics? :) And not "heart", "discipline", "practice", "professional coaching", etc:)

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
youll get a lot of different views, bc of different types of players from leagues to money players to tournaments and whatever else. ultimately in my opinion its consistency, making the routine shots and choosing the right shots. what seperates shaw from van boening for example? shaw is a better shotmaker and takes more lower percentage shots, van boening always chooses the right shots that yield a better outcome.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And since they've each been active as pro's, their relative pecking order has not changed in 20 years. Maybe their pecking order is determined by their genetics? :) And not "heart", "discipline", "practice", "professional coaching", etc:)

yes genetics since all 3 have spent equal time on their game