Brainwash drill

sausage

Banned
when you get down to 5 balls left on the table, you had better have a good plan or you will blow it. rempe said in his video that the first time he tried it he failed, which is a testament to the degree of difficulty. this is a good drill for a challenge when you have friends over. heck, you could probably make some money because it sounds so easy.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bill:

That 11th ball will shut me down almost every time. I'll be watching that clip a few more times.

Dave Nelson

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Here is another example by Ralph Eckert, taken from his instructional tape. No audio. The tape is in Russian anyway.
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v19977907xr97A5Fz

Before proceeding Ralph gives some advice on how to do the drill:
you should divide the balls in groups (areas) and work within that area. Then you define a sequence for those groups rather than for all 15 balls. It's better to find a starting shot which would lead to a series of stop shots, find the balls connected to each other. Try to find at least 4 such balls. The drill looks very hard but with proper planning and execution it is not really so.

Note he does not touch another ball when shooting. Take it as an ultimate grade for this drill :) First allow yourself running into the balls, next don't.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Note he does not touch another ball when shooting. Take it as an ultimate grade for this drill :) First allow yourself running into the balls, next don't.

Agree, doing the drill without colliding into other balls makes the exercise far more challenging. Patterns must be better considered, CB positions much more precise, and execution more exacting.

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
Joe Tucker covers this drill very well in his "Guaranteed Improvement" workbook & video. In his version, the cue ball can't hit a rail and no combo's (or Caroms) are permitted.

BigRigTom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK folks now I too have a new challenge. I had never heard of this drill explained exactly this way either.
Thanks Bill for demostrating how it should be done too!

I have a straight pool match planned for this Saturday and this drill is just what I was looking for to tune up for that match.
If I can do this I can play a good match....at least that is the plan.
I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

By the way Bill,
Is it important to be playing the Elvis music in the back ground when doing this drill....maybe that is you true secret....he he.:thumbup:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
good luck for it :)

it really helps a lot imo to play this drill as often as you can/like.

lg
Ingo

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Joe Tucker covers this drill very well in his "Guaranteed Improvement" workbook & video. In his version, the cue ball can't hit a rail and no combo's (or Caroms) are permitted.
correct, Eckert mentioned that too, and even said no jump shots. His instructional is for amateurs and a bit advanced players so he wanted to be detailed. I decided to omit that because we know jump shots are not they way 14.1 is supposed to be played ;)

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the drill seven times. Heres the successful three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8naAH1Q2_g I should get extra points for the last two I did it with out hitting another ball. And unless your careful setting up your end patterns the last four or five balls can be a killer.

Andy

Last edited:

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
Wow, I'm a believer. I tried this drill four times the other night before I wrapped up my practice. Succeeded the first attempt, botched two by hitting the rail (I left balls a little closer to the rail at the start than I probably should have), then succeeded on the fourth. Wow, difficult drill, but it does a lot for my short touch and playing for small areas of shape. Just... wow.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I really enjoy to see that a lot of you guys like this drill :)

gogogo^^

Ingo

Vahmurka

Silver Member
been "brainwashing" for an hour, what can I say, I started to see triangle patterns better. I practice the hardest version of this drill (no rails/other balls contact allowed) and this time tried an approach which helped tremendously. Before the initial shot I studied the layout and checked EVERY ball if it serves as a cue ball for any balls, i.e. whether it conects to any. This way during the rack I knew where I should be and which ball will be the next, provided I play good position with minimal cue ball movement. I cleared the table with no mistake only three times, but was playing this drill better than ever.

in this post of mine you can see why Ralph Eckert earned a medal at 14.1 Worlds 2012 ;)