Lighting for 9' table in home basement?

Chalk & Awe

Registered
Hello fellows,

What lighting are you recommending for a 9-foot pool table in a home basement? Only the best, no junk.

Thank you,

C&A :smile:

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Littman Lights!
https://littmanlights.com/cropped-fullsizerender31-jpg/

I just put mine up a couple months ago. Love it!

341ac04d7b68d573f98c828a23711f71.jpg

3d28fc8617e4f149bc48d41bf9747d1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been researching lights a bit lately as well.

My observations:
1. LED panels are the standard and by far the best option. For a 9ft table I like (2) 2x4 panels at minimum.

From there, do you desire your light to be part of your decor and design or simply provide light and be hidden?

1. If you want the light as part of the decor, there are a few guys selling attractive boxes with the LED panels to match table.

2. If you want them to be less of an element of decor, go to Lowes and get the LED Panel for about 80$ each and mount them flush to the ceiling. They are already white and only about 1/2" thick.

Option 1 can easily easily cost 6 to 7 times option 2.

I am going with option 2, not for cost, but because I want the lights to just blend in with ceiling and not take away from tables. Cost is just a bonus.

As always, my opinion.
Ian

Last edited:

GodinSession

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been researching lights a bit lately as well.

My observations:
1. LED panels are the standard and by far the best option. For a 9ft table I like (2) 2x4 panels at minimum.

From there, do you desire your light to be part of your decor and design or simply provide light and be hidden?

1. If you want the light as part of the decor, there are a few guys selling attractive boxes with the LED panels to match table.

2. If you want them to be less of an element of decor, go to Lowes and get the LED Panel for about 80$ each and mount them flush to the ceiling. They are already white and only about 1/2" thick.

Option 1 can easily easily cost 6 to 7 times option 2.

I am going with option 2, not for cost, but because I want the lights to just blend in with ceiling and not take away from tables. Cost is just a bonus.

As always, my opinion.
Ian

I think with option 2, you will also need the grid that disperses the light. Otherwise I think it will be really bright and distracting if the panels are in your field of vision. Perhaps even cause eye fatigue. That is one of the things I love about the Littman light which is led panels. I can look directly at it and it’s not distracting at all. I may not be explaining this correctly but hopefully you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedGuru

Beach Rat
Silver Member
I bought two Metalux 2x4 LED light panels, model RT24FP, and two egg crate light diffusers from Lowes for drop ceiling lighting, Then I built the attached Pool Light sketchup model from 4 1x3x8 and 4 each 1x2x8. Put it together with pocket screws and lags. Hung it from the ceiling using Diamond's recommendation for a 9 foot table light.

Image of light over my table

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use two 1x4 LED panels end to end, basically making a 1x8 light source, bought them at Home Depot. It's in my basement, hung them from the rafters right up against the ceiling. Plenty light.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I use two 1x4 LED panels end to end, basically making a 1x8 light source, bought them at Home Depot. It's in my basement, hung them from the rafters right up against the ceiling. Plenty light.

Are you using light diffusers for these? If not, do you think adding the diffusers would add meaningful improvement to your setup?

I'm currently leaning towards xianmacx and your setup, but if diffusers really are best, I will look into a light box.