Watching The Color of Money for the 157th time and I have a question.....

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im going to go sweat this movie now til i zzzzz, maybe 30-45 minutes, if anything changes ill be sure and let everyone know.....

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Why the hell doesn't Tom Cruise ask Forrest Whittaker (Amos) to play after he beats Eddie?

It's not like Amos knows who Vince is because Vince is an unknown too. Would have been a perfect time to ask him for a spot or play even at worst and beat him out of everything he had on him.

Eddie had alot of pride.

Eddie had just had his ass handed to him and was humiliated.

Eddie was trying to teach Vince how to gamble and hustle on the road and was completely destroyed at his own game.

Eddie was Vince's backer and told him who to play and when to play them and the LAST thing Eddie wanted to hear at that moment from Vince was "nice try Eddie, let me play him, he can't beat me".

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why the hell doesn't Tom Cruise ask Forrest Whittaker (Amos) to play after he beats Eddie?

It's not like Amos knows who Vince is because Vince is an unknown too. Would have been a perfect time to ask him for a spot or play even at worst and beat him out of everything he had on him.

Duh, it's a movie! :thumbup:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Duh, it's a movie! :thumbup:

lol, no shiattt Jay! It was more a question for discussion as it relates to what "would" have happened in a real pool room.

Although, in today's time, Eddie would have already had a line on a goofy acting, chubby black guy that plays pretty sporty. Then if Eddie would have still lost and Vince asked Amos to play, Amos would have whipped out his Iphone or tablet and logged on to AZ to ask a pool detective if anyone knew a goofy acting guy named Vince or Vincent that shoots left handed and has crazy looking hair.

Then, one of the AZ regulars would have chimed in with a line on Vincent and asked for a 25% steer fee, but then called Vince on the phone and asked for a 25% double steer fee!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

We each have to construct for ourselves from our imaginations what might have been going on in that world.

If Vince had played Amos, I don't think Vince would have won. I think Amos is the sort of player who does whatever it takes to win, and he has been in a lot more situations, games and pool halls than Vince. I think the best Vince could have done was win the first game, maybe for 20. Think about it. You have just run a nice trap. You have left your mark (Eddie) not knowing whether you are bat-guano crazy or a lucky bumbling fool or the smartest hustler in the state. Another guy shows up in a few minutes and wants to play for big cash and you only get one or two good games a month in that room. What's your next move? A hint: it's not to lose money to Vince.

A much better move is to quietly call your friend Harry "The Hands", lose a couple of games to Vince so you know where his cash is, and then quit, maybe making like you are going to beat the bejeezus out of him. On Vince's way out the door, Harry, who is just coming up the stairs, literally bumps into Vince, and Vince continues down the stairs without his roll. Isn't that a better plan?

Anyway, that's my take on Amos and his "losing weight" line.

As for getting Vince to leave quickly, a direct threat is not very subtle and is really unnecessary. I recall one time playing at my home pool hall in Berkeley, and the guy on the table next to me was talking to himself about "cutting white people." With a knife. He was not the only mildly crazy person in that pool hall and certainly not the most dangerous. In retrospect, he probably would have been on my side in a fight, but at the time his remarks were a little unnerving.

A small move: if Amos loses the first game to Vince, he needs to pay with a hundred.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Movie

Vince thinks he can beat everyone.

Ever notice how they never show the safeties played...

snuuker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "TK 6" license plate came from the fact that Eddie sold Liquor. A case of one liter bottles of liquor contains 6 bottles. Take 6...

Hmmmm, and all this time I thought it had to do with events from the Hustler movie.

Figured the TK stood for The Kid since Fast Eddie's stakehorse Gordon referrred to him as "kid". That and in the final scene of the movie Fats shanks an 8 ball and as Fast Eddie is running out that rack the camera switches to the clock on the wall and it is exactly 6 o'clock. The camers switches back to Fats and he says "I quit Eddie, I can't beat ya".

:wink:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Eddie had alot of pride.

Eddie had just had his ass handed to him and was humiliated.

Eddie was trying to teach Vince how to gamble and hustle on the road and was completely destroyed at his own game.

Eddie was Vince's backer and told him who to play and when to play them and the LAST thing Eddie wanted to hear at that moment from Vince was "nice try Eddie, let me play him, he can't beat me".

I agree with this. The way I saw it was that Eddie was feeling like playing and advertised that he was looking for a game with the hundred on the rail move (seeing this movie at 18 I honestly thought that this was a real thing that people did to look for games).

Who knows how long Eddie was there and drinking, remember "Ted" (Grady) was called to play and Eddie took him down then we see Eddie playing Amos.

I honestly think that Amos let it out at the end of it where he got the serious expression and said quietly, "do you think I need to lose some weight?" It was a classic double entendre that real players everywhere would get immediately. (At 18 I didn't get it immediately).

And the rest is as you stated it. To me Eddie had just gotten hustled and he was pissed that he didn't see it. And the REASON he didn't see it is because he had been out of the pool HUSTLING part of the game for 25 years. He did his liquor hustling and some backing but he wasn't big time and he wasn't a road man any more.

Remember in the Hustler the goal was to go legit and be the best. So this was the turning point in the Color of Money where Eddie realized that he was wrong for trying to turn Vincent into another version of himself and relive those days vicariously.

At that moment when he was so skillfully hustled he realized that this was exactly what he was training Vince to do and the life he didn't want to lead. It wasn't about snapping off Amos. It was about the basic dishonesty of it, each pretending to be someone else and not just playing hard to win.

He then realized he still had the fire to try and be the best and we see that the movie is not at all about Vince and Carmen, it's all about Eddie and his road to redemption on the table.

The scene at Gunther's was brilliant. The whole movie really was brilliant. And I thought Tom Cruise played the part perfectly. The cocky but still naive player turned into a devious hustler and a worthy match for conniving Carmen was played perfectly. Raging to want to play his best, like Eddie wanted to at Vince's age, but stifled by a stake horse/road partner forced to hold back, until he became the hustler he didn't want to be.

Every time I watch it I think I learn something new.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
I didnt care for the movie and was disappointed after seeing it in the the theater. The Hustler i can still watch again and again, no problem. TCOM just didnt do it for me.
Tom Cruise was definetly not the guy to play the part and they should have made it a bit darker and more serious, looked like too much of a clown fest to me.
I dont care for any of Cruises movies that much except for The last Samurai and that was only ok.
I will say this though : The guy is definetly George, no question about it. He was in our place playing BJ for 5 dimes a pop, two hands only at any given table and he moved on, and when he won he toked the dealer $500 for each win.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
J.B.

Who, in your opinion, won the set at the end?

I would say that it was Vince. Because at that moment Vince was very strong, able to hand with the very best and Eddie was just coming back. By Eddie saying if he didn't beat Vince then he would beat him at the next spot or the next showed that Eddie clearly knew he wasn't a lock to win it.

And Vince would be playing from a position of anger wanting to bear down and show the old legend how it's done in the modern era.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "TK 6" license plate came from the fact that Eddie sold Liquor. A case of one liter bottles of liquor contains 6 bottles. Take 6...

Have you confirmed this? Or is this just another guess like so many others before you.. Ive heard that explanation before. Ive read many threads on many forums and at no time has the TK6 plate ever been confirmed. Just seems to be one of those things left up to everyones imagination....Like in Pulp Fiction "Whats in the brief case"?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im going to go sweat this movie now til i zzzzz, maybe 30-45 minutes, if anything changes ill be sure and let everyone know.....

So I went to bed with my ipad and watched about half the movie as I said I would, the thing i noticed is Carman really needs to bleach her teeth, they are terrible, absolutely horrible.

Everything else was the same as it alway was,

We sure could use another pool movie, a good one. all of them seem to be based on gambling, i wonder if its possible to make a movie about pool that's not based on gambling/deception?

Registered
This has not been confirmed. To be honest, it has always seemed so obvious and common sense to me that I don't see how it could be anything else. In any case, this is just the consensus of the voices in my head, so we could be wrong.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
This has not been confirmed. To be honest, it has always seemed so obvious and common sense to me that I don't see how it could be anything else. In any case, this is just the consensus of [I]the voices [/I] in my head, so we could be wrong.

How many are up there? :wink:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that it was Vince. Because at that moment Vince was very strong, able to hand with the very best and Eddie was just coming back. By Eddie saying if he didn't beat Vince then he would beat him at the next spot or the next showed that Eddie clearly knew he wasn't a lock to win it.

And Vince would be playing from a position of anger wanting to bear down and show the old legend how it's done in the modern era.

Yeah

Poor Eddie stood no chance.