Strange think in shaft

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earlier this year, I was given a shaft that tinked. I replaced the tip and it no longer made that noise. Just a week or two later, I got another with the same symptom. I changed the tip and no change. So I ended up having to replace the ferrule and the tip and the customer is now happy.
Yes, I would replace the ferrule next.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here.... changed the ferrule, problem solved. I was cutting the old ferrule off and noticed it wasn’t completely seated against the shoulder.

HoustonInt

Big John's Cue Repair
Silver Member
Also worth checking if your weight bolt is tight if your cue has one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
It can be a variety of things, as mentioned above, tip, ferrule, weight bolt slightly loose, loose joint collar, even have had a full splice cue that I changed the tip + ferrule and that turned out to be the glue joint in the splice had an issue. What kind of shaft/cue is it? Give me a call sometime today and I can give you some pointers as to narrowing it down before you do any work.
Dave

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my experience, a cue will make a tink sound when the tip has gaps in the glue surface. Once the tip has been pressed against the ferrule, do not remove; just use the tip to spread the glue around without removing the tip from the ferrule. The ferrule can be a problem too. Some cheap ferrules can and will have gaps between the top of the tenon and the top of the ferrule. Any air gap can cause a click or tink sound. Hope you get this solved soon.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can be a variety of things, as mentioned above, tip, ferrule, weight bolt slightly loose, loose joint collar, even have had a full splice cue that I changed the tip + ferrule and that turned out to be the glue joint in the splice had an issue. What kind of shaft/cue is it? Give me a call sometime today and I can give you some pointers as to narrowing it down before you do any work.
Dave

I've got a cue that has the clicking sound also. When I got the cue it had a LePro tip, so I changed it to an Elk Master and the sound stopped. After playing with it a few days I didn't like the soft hit, so I put a triangle tip, and now the sound is back. I tried tighten the weight bolt, and I even removed it, but it sounds the same. I'm not sure what it could be now. Any idea?

Eddie

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a tip problem since the Elkmaster tip didn’t make the click. As I mentioned above, make sure there is no air gap between the tip and ferrule. I have removed old tips preparing for the new tip when I have noticed the top of the ferrule looking like Swiss cheese. Glue coverage was spotty. Asked the customer if he noticed any strange sounds; guess what, a click sound. When a tip is properly prepared and installed, any click sound would be due to something else.