Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 12.4 Revo vs 12.5 cynergy
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
Does anybody know of a store/vendor that sells Cuetec CF shafts in the LA area? I'm interesting in getting one but I want to physically test which one would fit my R360 butt. It would be great if they sold an entire cue to go along with the shaft. Maybe they do, but I'm not aware of it
They don't yet, but should be soon. Thought I remember them saying they wanted to roll out a couple batches of shafts 1st, then they will be dropping a line of cues with the shafts.

Old
  (#17)
MichaelEGR
AzB Bronze Member
MichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelEGR has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Welcome aboard (to posting). That's certainly an impressive first post -- good info.But I've got to warn you. You raised your posts-per-day average to .00029. No telling what such a rapid increase could lead to.
Thanks, at least one more! I happened to run into sjm in NYC last month and introduced myself and mentioned I liked his event review posts (another great Derby one the other day). He asked my nick, but I mentioned I never post; he said that I should and might as well get started, so here we are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykr01 View Post
Great info Thanks! Btw, what do you mean "pivot" point?
Natural pivot point / length. The spot on the shaft where you can essentially neutralize deflection by pivoting from center ball to the side of the CB to impart side spin. This effectively allows you to focus on just on collision / spin induced throw (CIT / SIT) when aiming. IE when applying outside spin essentially just aim to the left point / side of the pocket. It's also a nice way to quantify the difference of deflection between cues as well. Dr. Dave describes things well and has a good video comparing the Revo vs Cynergy. IMHO I only use BHE / back-hand english and don't bother w/ FHE and certainly not a combination of both. What you see in Dr. Dave's video may work for you though.

With the Revo (and other really low deflection cues) at 19" that pretty much makes it impractical to only apply BHE especially w/ a normal cue length. I'm tall / have a 67" cue and can with an open bridge use just BHE for a spin shot, but there has to be room for the bridge and it just comes off a bit goofy looking as it's not reliable at that bridge length to do the sweeping approach mentioned below. IE with the Revo it is better to just get used to the deflection and go about things w/ parallel sidespin or dip your toe into the FHE side of things.

However, the Cynergy opens up a lot of pure BHE possibilities as the pivot point at 13" is at a normal bridge length and falls in the pro taper area so is easily done with a closed bridge as well. With a controlled stroke (the hard part!) and bridge at the pivot point it is possible to aim center ball, take practice strokes center ball then sweep over on the final delivery to the side of center to impart spin; only need to go a tip or two over to get a lot of spin as long as the cue gets smoothly through the CB.

You can also pivot before taking practice strokes / final delivery and that is likely easier at first and only reliable way to do it with the Revo.

There is more to it I suppose for another day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykr01 View Post
Is one easier to maintain than the other (between Revo /CF/Becue)? I saw that Predator recommends having tips put on my a Predator tech. Are putting tips on a CF shaft harder than normal?
I gather all CF are easy to maintain / clean / etc. The Revo has a red pad at the top that can't be removed, so as long as the person changing the tip knows not to remove it / be careful then all is fine.

Old
  (#18)
longhorns2
AzB Silver Member
longhorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEGR View Post
Thanks, at least one more! I happened to run into sjm in NYC last month and introduced myself and mentioned I liked his event review posts (another great Derby one the other day). He asked my nick, but I mentioned I never post; he said that I should and might as well get started, so here we are...

Natural pivot point / length. The spot on the shaft where you can essentially neutralize deflection by pivoting from center ball to the side of the CB to impart side spin. This effectively allows you to focus on just on collision / spin induced throw (CIT / SIT) when aiming. IE when applying outside spin essentially just aim to the left point / side of the pocket. It's also a nice way to quantify the difference of deflection between cues as well. Dr. Dave describes things well and has a good video comparing the Revo vs Cynergy. IMHO I only use BHE / back-hand english and don't bother w/ FHE and certainly not a combination of both. What you see in Dr. Dave's video may work for you though.

With the Revo (and other really low deflection cues) at 19" that pretty much makes it impractical to only apply BHE especially w/ a normal cue length. I'm tall / have a 67" cue and can with an open bridge use just BHE for a spin shot, but there has to be room for the bridge and it just comes off a bit goofy looking as it's not reliable at that bridge length to do the sweeping approach mentioned below. IE with the Revo it is better to just get used to the deflection and go about things w/ parallel sidespin or dip your toe into the FHE side of things.

However, the Cynergy opens up a lot of pure BHE possibilities as the pivot point at 13" is at a normal bridge length and falls in the pro taper area so is easily done with a closed bridge as well. With a controlled stroke (the hard part!) and bridge at the pivot point it is possible to aim center ball, take practice strokes center ball then sweep over on the final delivery to the side of center to impart spin; only need to go a tip or two over to get a lot of spin as long as the cue gets smoothly through the CB.

You can also pivot before taking practice strokes / final delivery and that is likely easier at first and only reliable way to do it with the Revo.

There is more to it I suppose for another day!

I gather all CF are easy to maintain / clean / etc. The Revo has a red pad at the top that can't be removed, so as long as the person changing the tip knows not to remove it / be careful then all is fine.
When I see BHE described this way I have to point out that it all depends on the power of the stroke, especially with more English. You say that at the pivot point you can move your back hand to add english but you'll still hit your aim point. For the most part that's true but for power shots you'll get more deflection. I used to use BHE but I found that it messes with your stroke because you have to change the angle of your back and forward stroke

Old
  (#19)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

02-04-2019, 08:48 PM

I bought a revo 12.9 two weeks ago and I am really liking it. Still getting used to how much farther the cue ball travels vs a maple shaft.

Debating on getting a meucci carbon fiber when they come out for a butt I have sitting around. Unlike buying the revo with out ever playing with one I will visit the meucci factory and try before I buy.

Old
  (#20)
Jerry R
AzB Silver Member
Jerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybutt View Post
Are there any 30 inch carbon fiber shafts on the market?
The Meucci Carbon Pro is available in 29, 30, or 31"

Old
  (#21)
fy1017
AzB Bronze Member
fy1017 is on a distinguished road

02-11-2019, 10:12 PM

I just saw a video on YouTube

Link

https://youtu.be/LGyUJ75G3XY

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#22)
Catalin
AzB Silver Member
Catalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybutt View Post
Are there any 30 inch carbon fiber shafts on the market?
Revo custom.

Julian

Old
  (#23)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
Does anybody know of a store/vendor that sells Cuetec CF shafts in the LA area? I'm interested in getting one but I want to physically test which one would fit my R360 butt. It would be great if they sold an entire cue to go along with the shaft. Maybe they do, but I'm not aware of it

Not sure where you are but contact Cathy at Billiards and Barstools in Industry (626) 810-1388 about stock.

Edited: just realized this is an old thread - sorry!

Old
  (#24)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
Cuetec based solely on taper!
Sorry, Just give ne good old maple predator 314 shafts 12.75mm

Old
  (#25)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

10-18-2019, 08:52 PM

I did not like the Revo but liked the Cynergy (it's my new playing shaft after using a Predator 314-3 ever since they came out).

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#26)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA10 View Post
Sorry, Just give ne good old maple predator 314 shafts 12.75mm
if you mean 1st gen you would be very lucky to find one that is still 12.75mm

my pre-cat is 12.2mm

Old
  (#27)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogstokig View Post
if you mean 1st gen you would be very lucky to find one that is still 12.75mm

my pre-cat is 12.2mm
I use 314-3

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: