Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Willie Mosconi would have turned 100 today. Do you have any stories?
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-22-2019, 12:46 PM

He did an exhibition in early 80's at a local supply store. He got out of the cab, took off his coat, racked 14 with a break ball and casually ran a hundred. AMAZING. All of us watching were in a trance. His stroke was just unreal.

Old
  (#32)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I saw the news article on the Main Page. I met Willie Mosconi when he was making the rounds doing his show. He came to a pool room in Rockville, MD called "Let's Play Games." That was *the* pool hangout back in the day.

He was all dressed up in his suit. I remember my father, who was similar in age to Willie Mosconi, never left the house without a suit on. I guess that mode of dress was traditional to their era. My dad never went out in public with a T-shirt on or jeans.

Willie set up a trick shot and asked if anybody wanted to shoot it from the audience. My friends pushed me in the foreground, and Willie came over to me. I was so nervous. I felt my face get red. Willie actually let me shoot the shot with his cue, which made me even more nervous. Needless to say, I made six balls in the pocket with one shot.

Of course, I got his black-and-white autographed picture. I still have it in my pool room in the basement. It was the one that most people have .

One thing I noticed in the article was his date of death as September 17th. I remember there was a discrepancy about that at one time. Some thought it was September 12th. The reason why I remember these two dates vividly with Willie is that his birthday is my mother's birthday and his date of death, when it was September 12th, was my daughter's birthday, which is kind of ironic.

After reading the article on the Main Page, I can't wait to see what the 20th anniversarty of Mosconi Cup is going to be all about. Exciting!
If I leave the house in a suit I'm probably going to a funeral or a wedding.

I do have one habit I inherited from decades ago. I rarely leave the house without a hat.

Old
  (#33)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 01:50 PM

At the 1992 us open straight pool tournament in NYC I caught Willie leaving in the lobby with another gentleman. He was kind of there all week although he did not play. I asked if I could get his autograph and the guy with him said no. Willie said come on over and signed the cover
of my program. It may have been one of his last that he gave but I was impressed
that he did it. It was the last day and he looked really tired. I have it framed, Cicero Murphey also signed that cover

Last edited by CESSNA10; 10-22-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Old
  (#34)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

10-22-2019, 04:41 PM

In 1964 Willie came to a new room in Toms River N.J. to give an exhibition and play some local stiff.
I was the stiff.
He gave a world class performance running 85 and out on me.
I gave a world class performance holding a cue and racking.
We both did good.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#35)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-23-2019, 04:46 PM

my first contact with Willie came at the "village apartments ,golf course etc

Willie was going to put on an exhibition,his people set up a Brunswick table and the room filled with over 300 people,each paying $5 or so,in 1970 that was about $40 in todays buying power

willie broke,the opponent returned an excellent safe,Willie returned the safe,the guy missed and Willie ran 125 or 150 not missing a single shot

After this he inter acted with the crowd,the crowd replied mannerly,clapping and smiling

Next time I saw Willie he was in Ft worth ,Texas at a big billiards expo,he signed and
gave away autographed pictures that he personalized to any and everyone.

He had time on his hands so we spoke foer a while,he offered to sign more pictures and make them out to others,but I didn't want to impose.

As we talked about other things he offered to sell his Balabushka to me for $3000, I replied that
no pool cue was worth $3000,he agreed. Later it sold for $100,000

As you can see I never was too sharp

The last time I saw him ,he and Jimmy Caras and their wifes were at CYs pool room,
both players were very pleasant company and signed several racks of pool balls for me to give my friends and a few pictures,

They described their rivalry and friendship

When i consider the average pool championship seldom has a hundred fans,i am reminded how much more fun it was to watch Willie Mosconi, I will probably always remember him as the champion

Sadly most of my experience was winning money on the pool table,it does seem less glamorous as
the days go by while my appreciation or admiration for Willie Mosconi has grown

It grieves me to hear his name reproachfully used,I think he was really a hero

Old
  (#36)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I guess this is as good an occasion as any to repost this:

Mosconi's Cue Ball

[snip]

Now, some 30 years later, I still feel bad about the larceny I committed in my callow youth. But it's done and I can't undo it and so Mosconi's Cue Ball now sits, somewhat more meekly and quietly, on my bookshelf of pool books. But I think it still knows it's Mosconi's Cue Ball and now, just every once in a while when I'm sitting at the computer writing about the trials and tribulations of my pool game, I occasionally hear a tiny little giggle coming from behind my back, from somewhere on my book case.

Lou Figueroa
Fantastic story, Lou.

Old
  (#37)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss View Post
Fantastic story, Lou.

Thank you, SB.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#38)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Novak View Post
As told by : BCA Instructor Roy Pastor sends in this picture (at right) of himself, circa 1969, standing next to his then-idol, Willie Mosconi. I say "next to" and not "with" because the boy had to resort to subterfuge to have the picture taken with the great champion. Mosconi was a great player, but he could also be a tough and difficult man -- as Pastor's somewhat sad story about this photograph attests.

Here's Roy's letter:

"When I was 12 years old, back in 1969, my father took me to see an exhibition match between my idol Willie Mosconi and the house pro at Golden Q billiards in Queens New York. I was very excited as I watched Mosconi run 60 + balls to win the match.

We did not realize that Mosconi was selling copies of his book. When my dad asked him if he could take a picture of Mosconi with me, Mosconi replied that he would on the condition that my dad would purchase one of his books. Unfortunately, my father did not have enough money to buy a book. As a result, Mosconi refused to shake my hand or pose for a photograph with me. My disappointment must have been obvious because “Cue Ball” Kelly and “Kid” Laurie came right over, introduced themselves, posed for photos and were very kind. I think that it was Kelly who told me to go over and stand next to Mosconi while he was giving an interview. That way, even though he would not look at the camera, I had a picture with him.

I have kept the photos from that day as a reminder of my interactions with these legends of the sport. I always wondered how Mosconi could have so easily disappointed a 12-year-old star struck fan."
Damn, that's tough. That young kid photobombing Willie to get a picture, lol that is some determination.
I think we have all been short with someone for whatever reasons, sad to read that though.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: