Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Thoughts on pool ,life and 5 inch pockets
Page 6 of 13 « First 456 78 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-16-2019, 08:31 PM

my golf has deteriorated to the point where i get no enjoyment

last time i took my grandson out i lasted only 5 holes with a cart,and could not hit the ball solidly

i was still shooting close to par not too many years ago,then i lost distance hitting the 5 iron 150 yards,
now the driver went to that so i am calling it quits

when PT109 said the best man still wins,it doesn't apply to me,I am playing all by myself
when Jack gets to town we play one pocket because he never got into it,he gave me the
orange crush and robbed me when i was playing my best

even when he visits we seldom play against each other,neitherone of us
ever were fun players.

think about poker for a second,how many people wouldplay if there was no gambling?

To us pool is the same,true I am not getting out to gamble but I do enjoy trying to run 50 balls of 14:1

Trying is the key word,I haven't gotten close

Last edited by deanoc; 11-16-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Old
  (#77)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-16-2019, 09:21 PM

Dean, I think it's great that 5 inch pockets let you enjoy the game more. Enjoyment is what this game is all about! I think straight pool especially is better played on more forgiving equipment, it's about creativity and running the balls right, more than straight shooting. Who cares how tight the table is, if a person can't ever put 2 or 3 racks together because shots keep bobbling in the pocket? It makes the game a boring chore for all but the hardcore players.

I play all pool games, and for the last years I've been playing mostly the "tight pocket games", namely Chinese 8 ball, Blackball and snooker. Competitively, the pockets being tighter would be to my advantage as it plays to my strenghts. That being said, I think the developments in pool recently is a big mistake! It's one thing what the pros play on, but amateurs should not be playing on tiny pockets. It's bad for recruitment and it's bad for enjoyment for the vast majority. My poolhall tightned all the pockets and lost a lot of customers over it especiall casual customers, and many of the C-players don't play as much, anymore. C-players and B-players is the "body" of pool players, if they're not playing, the owners are not getting paid! I'm getting really lonely on the Chinese 8 ball table, btw. Even the good players have problems running out, so they don't give the game a chance. I'm maybe more of a glutton for punishment, lol.

Sure, many of the people on here are extremely good players who maybe want to brag a bit, or genuinly believe they are going to take down the US-Open some day. Others are table mechanics, making a living from tightening pockets. There is nothing wrong with either of those things, but don't confuse that with what's best for enjoyment of the game. They tightned many tables in your great country, but what happened? Everyone started playing on bar boxes, because people want to enjoy themselves and maybe run a rack now and then! Not only that, but they want to be able to stroke the ball along the rail now and then. Stroke shots are part of pools identity as a game.

When the table gets smaller, pocket size makes less of a difference. I know, I play blackball. Those pockets are brutally tight, but it's not really a big shooters game anyway, because the table is so small. Good poolplayers can still run out on them pretty easily, but they more often get snookered from playing bad position or play the wrong shots, than outright missing shots. And the pros still win the tournaments, btw.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 11-16-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Old
  (#78)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 09:21 PM

Dean,

See if this sounds right.

Every now and then, you'll find a guy that'll argue with you about anything. Sometimes he'll even butt into a conversation just to start an argument. Guys like that are real suckers. If you play 'em for a while, it just pisses 'em off worse. But the best part is when you hook 'em. Once they're hooked, they get real cocky. Independent as a hog on ice. But when they're hooked, you've got 'em by the balls on a down hill pull. You own 'em. They'll follow you around like a three legged dog.

Guys like that are real losers. But what am I telling you for? You're the pro. Yep, The Pro From Dover. Have fun, Brother. You meet the nicest people in the fairway.

Old
  (#79)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
UM, no. 143 would be a WIDER angle or rather more open degree of angle from the mouth towards the throat of the pocket.

trent

p.s. this picture will help you i think and also is for Jay Helfert!
Does anyone else have a problem understanding this measurement? I could tell better what is being measured if I could see the pocket in relation to the table.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#80)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 10:29 PM

Looks like 141 degrees to me.

Shoot Pool
Not People

Last edited by mchnhed; 11-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Old
  (#81)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, I said nothing that constitutes being called a Liar. The legs dont match one another and they surely dont match the rails.

Trent from Toledo
An interesting phenomena I noticed with my Diamond table. One end of the table was near a window where the afternoon Sun shined in. After a few years I noticed the leg closest to the window and the end rail had faded. I bought some mahogany wood dye and refinished them to a slightly darker color to match the rest of the table.

Now when I remember or when people are playing on it, we close the blinds on that window. No more fading so far.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#82)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 12:57 AM

every game except 1p is just as enjoyable on standard pockets. and straight pool more so

but for the pro tournaments, there is no going back. they are too good. i sometimes watch old matches and tourneys from 20-30 years ago. big pockets were fine then, but their breaking was not in the same ball park as todays players', and wild body english was commonplace.

Old
  (#83)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Does anyone else have a problem understanding this measurement? I could tell better what is being measured if I could see the pocket in relation to the table.
Angle where facing meets side cushion nose. Wider than 140deg, narrow throat.

Old
  (#84)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

Player: Joss w/ 314-3
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#85)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
To be clear, 4.5" corners at 141 degrees and 5" sides at 102 degrees is Pro cut.

Trent
So.....what are “Standard” pocket specs?
Thanks

Shoot Pool
Not People

Thoughts on pool ,life and 5 inch pockets
Old
  (#86)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 498

Thoughts on pool ,life and 5 inch pockets - 11-17-2019, 06:11 AM

If you search in YouTube 1988 Sigel earl finals, you will see espn covering a match where goldcrown table is setup in the middle of a large hotel venue and a lot of spectators around but very far away from the table... this is the setup that pool should have every time, this is legit table and pocket size, all tournaments should have this size pockets, it is the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#87)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchnhed View Post
Thanks
Look at Dr. Daves "TDF" thread in the stickies. All there.

Old
  (#88)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked

11-17-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Look at Dr. Daves "TDF" thread in the stickies. All there.
Quote:
Thanks
Too Lazy....do it for me, please?

Shoot Pool
Not People

Old
  (#89)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Too Lazy....do it for me, please?
Nobody's that lazy. WTF?? Go to "Stickies", click on "TDF" stickie. Need your hand held too?

Old
  (#90)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked

11-17-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Nobody's that lazy. WTF?? Go to "Stickies", click on "TDF" stickie. Need your hand held too?
It’s 5:30 AM Dude!

Shoot Pool
Not People

Page 6 of 13 « First 456 78 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: