Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Wet the tips before trimming?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Wet the tips before trimming?
Old
  (#1)
OneIron
On the snap, Vinny!
OneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Wet the tips before trimming? - 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM

How many of you guys wet the tips before trimming the edge? I read somewhere on AZB that it makes it easier to trim. I've noticed that the Kamui Blacks can be a bit of a challenge to trim but I didn't want to mist them with water until I'm sure. I'm a little scared of delamination from the moisture. It's kind of an expensive science experiment.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

Wettings the tips
Old
  (#2)
hopscotch
AzB Silver Member
hopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond reputehopscotch has a reputation beyond repute

Wettings the tips - 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM

I wet the tips before cutting especially kamui tips it makes them so much easier to cut I've done a few hundred kamui's and never had a problem yet I saw it on youtube and it has worked great for me kamui does not wet them in there install video but tiger says to moisten it to get a better result in there video
Good Luck hope this was helpful

Old
  (#3)
OneIron
On the snap, Vinny!
OneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch View Post
I wet the tips before cutting especially kamui tips it makes them so much easier to cut I've done a few hundred kamui's and never had a problem yet I saw it on youtube and it has worked great for me kamui does not wet them in there install video but tiger says to moisten it to get a better result in there video
Good Luck hope this was helpful
Appreciate the quick response. Do you mist them with a spray bottle or just rub a little on the edge?

Old
  (#4)
rhncue
AzB Silver Member
rhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

All depends on the type of glue that was used to glue the layers together with. Talisman tips use a water soluble glue and if you get them wet they will delaminate. I would imagine there may be others.

Dick

Dick Neighbors
RHN Custom Billiard Cues
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.dickiecues.com
e-mail dickiecues@gmail.com
(513) 830-4321

Old
  (#5)
stevel
Lomax Custom Cues
stevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond reputestevel has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2012, 11:50 PM

Wet leather cuts much better than dry.I wet the sides before trimming with a razor blade.I don't think it stays wet long enough to cause the layers to delaminate.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Steve Lomax
LOMAX CUSTOM CUES & REPAIRS
PO BOX 414
Cornelia,GA. 30531
706-776-1252(shop) 706-499-0803(cell)
[email]stevenl@windstream.net

Old
  (#6)
jschelin99
AzB Silver Member
jschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2012, 11:54 PM

Never heard of that method before. Seems odd to me, but what do I know? I can see that the dampened leather would probably cut easier, but I wonder if there's any amount of swelling due to the moisture, then shrinkage later as it dries. Then again, we're just talking a tiny bit of water, not dunking it in the bath tub.

Are you using a lathe with a tailstock? If so, put a concave live center in the tailstock and place it against the tip with a bit if pressure, then trim the tip. The live center assures that the tip cannot flex away from the cutter, so the tip is trimmed exactly straight with the ferrule. As you get close to the ferrule, start taking very small cuts. You almost won't have to clean things up with fine sandpaper, depending on the tip cuz some cut much nicer than others. Finally, a carbide cutter will go thru any tip like butter.

I don't mean to insult you. I don't know who you are, what your skill level is, what kind of machelinery you have, etc.

Jeff Schelin
Top Hat Cues

Last edited by jschelin99; 05-02-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Old
  (#7)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2012, 05:25 AM

When I install a Kamui black medium, I cut it with the lathe tool because it's so hard. I shape it with a utility knife blade and then throw it a way.

I just don't feel right putting water on it.

They are like a lump of coal. They sure do play well and they don't mushroom.

Kim

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/

Old
  (#8)
OneIron
On the snap, Vinny!

05-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschelin99 View Post
Never heard of that method before. Seems odd to me, but what do I know? I can see that the dampened leather would probably cut easier, but I wonder if there's any amount of swelling due to the moisture, then shrinkage later as it dries. Then again, we're just talking a tiny bit of water, not dunking it in the bath tub.

Are you using a lathe with a tailstock? If so, put a concave live center in the tailstock and place it against the tip with a bit if pressure, then trim the tip. The live center assures that the tip cannot flex away from the cutter, so the tip is trimmed exactly straight with the ferrule. As you get close to the ferrule, start taking very small cuts. You almost won't have to clean things up with fine sandpaper, depending on the tip cuz some cut much nicer than others. Finally, a carbide cutter will go thru any tip like butter.

I don't mean to insult you. I don't know who you are, what your skill level is, what kind of machelinery you have, etc.
No problem. I've been doing this for a while but I'm always trying to learn better methods. I'm a little obsessive compulsive about my work. I'm Using a Hightower Deluxe lathe. It does have a concave live center but I've never tried using it while trimming. I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by OneIron; 05-02-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Old
  (#9)
OneIron
On the snap, Vinny!

05-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammo57 View Post
When I install a Kamui black medium, I cut it with the lathe tool because it's so hard. I shape it with a utility knife blade and then throw it a way.

I just don't feel right putting water on it.

They are like a lump of coal. They sure do play well and they don't mushroom.

Kim
I always start with a fresh utility knife on the Kamuis but they are a bear to trim. The other issue I have is that the black dye they use gets on the ferrule if you're not careful. After trimming, I lightly hit the ferrule and tip with 800 grit but I always move from the ferrule to the tip to avoid the discoloration.

Old
  (#10)
OneIron
On the snap, Vinny!

05-02-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Wet leather cuts much better than dry.I wet the sides before trimming with a razor blade.I don't think it stays wet long enough to cause the layers to delaminate.

Best Wishes,

Steve
Thanks, Steve. Think I'll give it a try on my personal Schon.

Old
  (#11)
Kamuitipsdotcom
AzB Silver Member
Kamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond reputeKamuitipsdotcom has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

05-02-2012, 07:27 AM

Hi There,
little bit of wet... not too much to soak the tip.
Your enemy = heat.
Do not generate too much heat otherwise you will delaminate.
Heat is BAD.

Authorized Kamui USA Master Distributor Since 2004
877-GO-KAMUI (465-2684)

Old
  (#12)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamuitipsdotcom View Post
Hi There,
little bit of wet... not too much to soak the tip.
Your enemy = heat.
Do not generate too much heat otherwise you will delaminate.
Heat is BAD.
I had no idea that Kamui was around so long.

Old
  (#13)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneIron View Post
No problem. I've been doing this for a while but I'm always trying to learn better methods. I'm a little obsessive compulsive about my work. I'm Using a Hightower Deluxe lathe. It does have a concave live center but I've never tried using it while trimming. I'll give it a shot.
You won't be able to trim the tip with it stuck in the concave center....

Chuck up on half of the ferrule and then trim it. I have the same setup as you.

Kim

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/

Old
  (#14)
jschelin99
AzB Silver Member
jschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond reputejschelin99 has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2012, 11:23 AM

A machinist friend told me years ago, whenever you can use a live center, use it. They were invented to stabilize the material being machined in order to make a safer and more precise cut/pass/turn/whatever.

Of course, depending on the material, the machine, and the operation being performed, live centers might get in the way. Thankfully, there's plenty of room for the concave live center on my Porper Model B lathe.

There are all sorts of live centers out there. If the one supplied with your lathe doesn't give you enough room, I'd be willing to bet you could find one somewhere that does.

Jeff Schelin
Top Hat Cues

Old
  (#15)
snipershot
Go ahead.....run for it.
snipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond reputesnipershot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

05-02-2012, 12:33 PM

I haven't done a whole lot of kamuis, but I've done 10-15 or so, and I just use a sharp new blue blade from irwin. Cuts like butter. I've never done a kamui hard, so I don't know how that will cut.

Joe

I started building cues because I hate my money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: