Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Kamui Tip Questions and Advice
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Kamui Tip Questions and Advice
Old
  (#1)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute
 
briankenobi's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Charleston, Ohio
   
Kamui Tip Questions and Advice - 10-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Hey everyone. I am in the market for a new tip and I have some questions and advice. A little background, I am a mid to high level B player with A level potential. (I don't always play at that level consistantly). I play with a Pechauer cue right now. I am currently using a moori medium tip. I good action with it but seem to get more action with other people's cues with soft tips. I am strongly considering a Kamui Black super soft tip. I don't have a lot of skills in tip maitenence sadly. How much tip maitenence is required for a kamui soft tip? I currently use master chalk. How does the Kamui tips react with master chalk? Also, most of my playing is at home with a measle cue ball and at a bar for an in house league.

So now you guys know the story. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks everybody.

Brian
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute
 
whammo57's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,170
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Athens GA
   
10-03-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankenobi View Post
Hey everyone. I am in the market for a new tip and I have some questions and advice. A little background, I am a mid to high level B player with A level potential. (I don't always play at that level consistantly). I play with a Pechauer cue right now. I am currently using a moori medium tip. I good action with it but seem to get more action with other people's cues with soft tips. I am strongly considering a Kamui Black super soft tip. I don't have a lot of skills in tip maitenence sadly. How much tip maitenence is required for a kamui soft tip? I currently use master chalk. How does the Kamui tips react with master chalk? Also, most of my playing is at home with a measle cue ball and at a bar for an in house league.

So now you guys know the story. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks everybody.


Brian

Get an ultraskin soft tip..............

Master chalk works the same on all tips.

Kim


Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
WoodyJ
Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
WoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond reputeWoodyJ has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 954
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern CA
   
10-03-2012, 08:35 AM

I used to use a Moori medium but changed because it glazed over to easily.

Then I used a Kamui brown medium. Liked it a lot. Used a tip pic and Willards shaper to maintain it like I did the Moori. But, really didn't need to.

Now I use a Kamui black soft. Only maintenance is to chalk before every shot with Blue Diamond chalk. You would probably be fine with Master's chalk (I stopped using it because I found out that I was allergic to it and it made the fingers on my bridge hand turn red and raw).

If you have two shafts for your cue, I'd recommend putting a Kamui brown medium on one shaft and a Kamui black soft on the other and see which one you like the best.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute
 
West Point 1987's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
   
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM

I use Kamui Black Soft, love them...very little maintenance required, if they're installed correctly. The friction of the chalk is enough to keep it shaped right, if you chalk correctly. I might adjust the bevel three or four times in the life of the tip. I lighlty deglaze the tip with a tip pick (don't twist, just poke). I've also got a Kamui Brown Soft, I like it, but not as much as the Black...I really like Milk Duds, and they're cheap, too...every bit as much action as a Kamui or Moori, but don't last as long in my experience.

If I were playing a Super Soft, I'd have the installer cut a few layers off, as they tend to mushroom a bit at first. Moori Medium is an awesome tip, not sure you'll notice too much difference; maybe you should move to a Moori Soft, instead?


Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: Schon SL19/STL17, with Cuetec Cynergy CF shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
-R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Gulyassy PHX, with SPT shaft
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
Cdryden
Pool Addict
Cdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cdryden's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Shembugenwauk County
   
10-03-2012, 09:10 AM

I have a Kamui Super Soft tip on one of my cues that I use often. It requires almost no maintenance. The only thing I do once in awhile is scuff the tip with one of their Gator Grip tools. No mushrooming.

Also you should know that their hardness scale registers 1 below normal. So their medium is equivalent to a hard tip by other manufactures. The super soft that I use holds chalk very well but hits more like a medium. Hope that helps.


The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation.- McKenna
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute
 
briankenobi's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Charleston, Ohio
   
10-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I know a cue maker that can put the tip on for me. I can get good action on the cue ball with my moori, but i find that I can get better action with other people's cues. My guess is they are using a soft tip. I only have 1 shaft for my cue so I can't experiement that way. Right now I am leaning towards the super soft black.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
thekaiserman
AzB Silver Member
thekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond reputethekaiserman has a reputation beyond repute
 
thekaiserman's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 437
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: May 2012
   
10-03-2012, 10:46 AM

I recently changed to a kamui black ss no regrets, more control, easier
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
spindoctor9
AzB Silver Member
spindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR
   
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM

Try a pressed elkmaster. Holds it shape better than any tip I've tried and hits hard like a hard Kamui brown but you get that single layer tip action. A super soft Kamui will last you a month if you have a big stroke. They squish bad and you'll be shaping it constantly. I've had major issues with layered tips including kamui tips. They play well, but I had 6 or 7 delaminate on me. And ever since switching to the milk dud elkmaster, I've been miscuing with layered tips. I can also draw the ball further with the milk dud. Try a good milk dud or find a good triangle and you might never go back to a layered tip. I gave some A level players in my area a milk dud and I've gotten nothing but exceptional feedback. Layering leather with glue was an attempt to make tips that hold their shape. A milk dud or good triangle will hold it's shape better than anything, so why bother shooting with a tip that's half glue? If you like to use a lot of spin, save the cash and try a milk dud. They are just unbeatable. I hate hearing that tip quality is a matter of opinion. That's just stupid. A tip that holds it's shape better, holds chalk better, grabs the ball better, and jumps better is the better tip. I've used every tip out there I can find other than some of the newer companies, and I can't see myself ever trying a layered tip again. For reference I tested my tips last week. I can draw two tables on a slow Valley with the milk dud from 5-6 feet away 4 out of 5 times. With my Kamui black medium tipped shaft, my biggest stroke will get me one table and back to about the side pockets. I have a third shaft with a layered talisman, same action as the kamui. I have another cue with a triangle on it, and that got me the two tables I got with the milk dud. People roll the ball around and say yeah I like the kamui it has a good ping. But the big draw and follow shots are what tell the story about a tip. Sorry for the novel, I'm just really blown away with this tip, which I've been using for two months, and I had to spit some advice and my experiences your way.

Last edited by spindoctor9; 10-03-2012 at 11:23 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
J Soto
The NON-Myth
J Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond reputeJ Soto has a reputation beyond repute
 
J Soto's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The North Shore, Massachusetts
   
10-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Save your money and get some ultraskin tips. They play just as good as Kamui for just 1/6 of the price of a Kamui.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Cdryden
Pool Addict
Cdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cdryden's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Shembugenwauk County
   
10-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor9 View Post
Try a pressed elkmaster. Holds it shape better than any tip I've tried and hits hard like a hard Kamui brown but you get that single layer tip action. A super soft Kamui will last you a month if you have a big stroke. They squish bad and you'll be shaping it constantly. I've had major issues with layered tips including kamui tips. They play well, but I had 6 or 7 delaminate on me. And ever since switching to the milk dud elkmaster, I've been miscuing with layered tips. I can also draw the ball further with the milk dud. Try a good milk dud or find a good triangle and you might never go back to a layered tip. I gave some A level players in my area a milk dud and I've gotten nothing but exceptional feedback. Layering leather with glue was an attempt to make tips that hold their shape. A milk dud or good triangle will hold it's shape better than anything, so why bother shooting with a tip that's half glue? If you like to use a lot of spin, save the cash and try a milk dud. They are just unbeatable. I hate hearing that tip quality is a matter of opinion. That's just stupid. A tip that holds it's shape better, holds chalk better, grabs the ball better, and jumps better is the better tip. I've used every tip out there I can find other than some of the newer companies, and I can't see myself ever trying a layered tip again. For reference I tested my tips last week. I can draw two tables on a slow Valley with the milk dud from 5-6 feet away 4 out of 5 times. With my Kamui black medium tipped shaft, my biggest stroke will get me one table and back to about the side pockets. I have a third shaft with a layered talisman, same action as the kamui. I have another cue with a triangle on it, and that got me the two tables I got with the milk dud. People roll the ball around and say yeah I like the kamui it has a good ping. But the big draw and follow shots are what tell the story about a tip. Sorry for the novel, I'm just really blown away with this tip, which I've been using for two months, and I had to spit some advice and my experiences your way.
Surprised to hear that. I have not had any problems like that at all. In fact just the opposite. I have had one last 10-12 months and I would wager I play more than most people out there.
I wonder if you got a bad one or is it possible that you hit the balls quite a bit harder than most? Do you break with it? I'm not doubting you, it's just that my experience has been quite different.


The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation.- McKenna
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute
 
briankenobi's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Charleston, Ohio
   
10-03-2012, 12:00 PM

@ spindoctor- about how much would one of those milk dud tips cost?

Since you mentioned draw on a slow valley and that is the table my league is, here is my draw on it. I set up a ball 1 diamond away from the corner. I set the cue ball up 1 diamond behind the side pocket. 95% of the time I can get the ball to get between the end rail and the side pocket after hitting the end rail.

@ J Soto- how much are ultra skin tips?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
spindoctor9
AzB Silver Member
spindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR
   
10-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdryden View Post
Surprised to hear that. I have not had any problems like that at all. In fact just the opposite. I have had one last 10-12 months and I would wager I play more than most people out there.
I wonder if you got a bad one or is it possible that you hit the balls quite a bit harder than most? Do you break with it? I'm not doubting you, it's just that my experience has been quite different.
Yes I like to hit extremely hard. When I'm practicing, I can't get into it and have fun unless I'm spinning the ball around the table. It's the critical power shots that we miss, so I like to practice my big stroke as much as possible. And watching the cue ball curve around and reverse is just awesome to me. I've had only 10-20 of probably 100 layered tips stand up to my stroke, but I've never so much as dented or flattened a pressed single layer tip after breaking it in. The Kamui hard was ok but I was not comfortable using maximum english, as I did not feel the tip grabbed like it should so I was afraid of miscuing. Like I said any tip is great for rolling the ball around and playing simple pool, but if you like to stroke the ball like Larry Nevel, I think a single layer tip is the best. I just can't believe the action I'm getting... The ball moves so easily. I decided to try one after hearing Efren say he uses a milk dud and I am thoroughly impressed as you can tell.

No, I did not break with the SS. I probably killed it with draw shots. And I'm picky about my tip being shaped cleanly and evenly, and it's damn near impossible to keep a nice even edge on a layered tip. I do break with milk dud. I have had no urge to use my phenolic tipped Mezz break cue since putting on the dud.

I don't mean to bash on any tip companies or others opinions, I'm just so impressed with this milked and pressed Elkmaster, I feel everyone should try one. Now, I hand picked my own, and consistency may be an issue, so if you want to try one, search AZ for someone who is known to have good ones.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
spindoctor9
AzB Silver Member
spindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond reputespindoctor9 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR
   
10-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankenobi View Post
@ spindoctor- about how much would one of those milk dud tips cost?

Since you mentioned draw on a slow valley and that is the table my league is, here is my draw on it. I set up a ball 1 diamond away from the corner. I set the cue ball up 1 diamond behind the side pocket. 95% of the time I can get the ball to get between the end rail and the side pocket after hitting the end rail.
I think most people sell them for around $10. Or you can buy a whole box of Elks for a couple bucks, pick out the few good ones, soak them in milk overnight, and press them in a vice for a day or two, tight but don't over muscle it. The tip will come out thin flat and ugly, but it will swell back up to perfect size when your installer cuts into the seal.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute
 
briankenobi's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Charleston, Ohio
   
10-03-2012, 12:38 PM

do you know of anyone who has any for sale already modified? I am not good with that sort of thing.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute
 
Allen Brown's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alabama
   
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammo57 View Post
Get an ultraskin soft tip..............

Master chalk works the same on all tips.

Kim
I agree with whammo. Don't buy the Kamui. I had a super soft black and it did mushroom a lot until I took about half of it off. It glazed over all of the time too. I had to scuff it and shape it all the time and it got on my nerves.

I got a medium and soft Ultraskin Layered tip and there is absolutely no maintenance. I left the both tips very high to see if they would mushroom like the supersoft kamui and I've had no mushrooming at all. No glazing over and I've had them for 3 months now. The kamui mushroomed on the first day and was glazing by day 3. I get just as much english with the ultraskin too. I think it might even be more consistant than a kamui too. You will not be dissapointed at all with the ultraskin.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.