Kamui Clear
Old
  (#1)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦
Fast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

Question Kamui Clear - 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM

Well I saw this tip first hand but have not played with it. It is supposed to have this clear pad on it which keeps the glue from getting into the tip and compromising the leather is what I have been told. If the clear pad is glued onto the ferrule, how is the pad attached to the tip and also how does it change the hit if at all? I use Kamui black tips on all my cues and really like them and appreciate the support they provide to events and players so lets keep it nice as Alfie would say.
Attached Images

GO TO WWW.ONTHERAILTV.COM FOR SOME GREAT POOL CONTENT!

Kamui brand is by far tops for me.....
Old
  (#2)
SKILLZELITE
Universality
SKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Kamui brand is by far tops for me..... - 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM

I don't have any info on the Kamui clear tips,, but I'm a big fan of there black tips,, and Im very interested in some consumer reports regarding this new tip..

Btw "Fast Lenny" sorry I air barreled you on that "Easter basket" ,I didn't mean to get your hopes up,, I really thought Earl was out that rack..

Last edited by SKILLZELITE; 04-12-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Old
  (#3)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦
Fast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond repute

04-10-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILLZELITE View Post
I don't have any info on the Kamui clear tips,, but I'm a big fan of there black tips,, and Im very interested in some consumer reports regarding this new tip..

Btw "Fast Lenny" sorry I air barreled you on that "Easter basket" ,I didn't mean to get your hopes up,, I really thought Earl was out that rack..
No problem, its not the first time I have been aired.

I look forward to hearing stuff from people who actually have tried it, not really looking to hear how Joe Blow hates this or that and has never even gave it a try. I used a piece of a friend Kamui chalk and did not like it all that much but that was the first stuff they came out with, maybe the new mix is different. I also did not give it a fair shot only using it a little bit so maybe I will give it a try again sometime down the road.

GO TO WWW.ONTHERAILTV.COM FOR SOME GREAT POOL CONTENT!

Old
  (#4)
SKILLZELITE
Universality
SKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond repute

04-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Lenny View Post
No problem, its not the first time I have been aired.

I look forward to hearing stuff from people who actually have tried it, not really looking to hear how Joe Blow hates this or that and has never even gave it a try. I used a piece of a friend Kamui chalk and did not like it all that much but that was the first stuff they came out with, maybe the new mix is different. I also did not give it a fair shot only using it a little bit so maybe I will give it a try again sometime down the road.
I updated my first post with this link

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4111299

But its kind of a Joe blow ,this or that ,as you put it..

Old
  (#5)
buddha162
AzB Silver Member
buddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond repute

04-10-2013, 09:21 PM

I managed to snag a Clear black medium at the expo, had Ryan (of RAT cue fame) install it on my new OB Classic and have shot with it for 3 days since. My impression is this: there is absolutely no difference between the original kamui black and the kamui black clear in terms of hit/hardness/etc.

Having said that, IMO the advantage of the clear pad is idiot-proofing the install. I'm sure many repairmen/cuemakers are aware of leather tips wicking up glue; some are not. Every now and then you might get a tip that wicks up more glue than usual. When a tip is not properly prepped, it can lead to glue failures...maybe not enough for the tip to pop off, but enough to cause a "clicking" due to a tiny gap between ferrule and tip.

As far as I can tell (with a sample size of 1), the clear pad addresses this problem, and since I had 3 different layered tips click on me in the recent past, I'm happy to see this innovation.

-roger

Old
  (#6)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-11-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
But its kind of a Joe blow ,this or that ,as you put it
You would certainly know a Joe Blow thread when you see one.

Coming from a guy that is supposedly building the best LD shaft anyone has ever known and previous to that, was in the Ask the Cue Maker Forum asking how to taper a shaft.

Good one there, Joe Blow. How are those Smegmalodon shafts coming BTW?

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 04-11-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Old
  (#7)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

04-11-2013, 04:14 AM

instead of putting a clear pad on every tip, why not put a clear pad on the shaft and when your retipping it, just cut off the old tip down to the pad? I have had pads for years and 10,12,15 tips beforeI changed out the pad. Seems to me thats the way to go, I dont buy this notion of tips sucking up glue one bit. I play with tips until the side is almost down to the ferrel I start them low @ 3/32" I aint ever never once seen a incident with glue or a tip getting funny rom what ever adhesive is used, I have had layered tips get hard as a rock from the glue holding them together migrating between the layers.

I like their chalk, and tips, and the girl in the clear tip ad posted above, but I call BS on the clear pad. looks cool, so install a clear pad and recycle(justput new tips on it again and again.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#8)
zpele
AzB Silver Member
zpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond reputezpele has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
instead of putting a clear pad on every tip, why not put a clear pad on the shaft and when your retipping it, just cut off the old tip down to the pad? I have had pads for years and 10,12,15 tips beforeI changed out the pad. Seems to me thats the way to go, I dont buy this notion of tips sucking up glue one bit. I play with tips until the side is almost down to the ferrel I start them low @ 3/32" I aint ever never once seen a incident with glue or a tip getting funny rom what ever adhesive is used, I have had layered tips get hard as a rock from the glue holding them together migrating between the layers.

I like their chalk, and tips, and the girl in the clear tip ad posted above, but I call BS on the clear pad. looks cool, so install a clear pad and recycle(justput new tips on it again and again.
Glue going through a layer due to bad installation is a well documented thing. So you not believing it doesn't mean anything.

We do not know how Kamui attaches the tip to the clear pad as they have not released that process to the public.

So just adding a pad to your ferrule would be pointless as you would still be gluing the tip and not the pad.

Old
  (#9)
POVPOOL
POV Pool
POVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond reputePOVPOOL has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Lenny,
I know that Chris Mcreary had a prototype 'Clear' tip on one of his shafts last August when I saw him at the TAD Cup. You might wanna hit him up to see what he thinks of it.

Old
  (#10)
buddha162
AzB Silver Member
buddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
instead of putting a clear pad on every tip, why not put a clear pad on the shaft and when your retipping it, just cut off the old tip down to the pad?
You are missing the point. Go reread my post and report back.

-roger

Old
  (#11)
tank69
AzB Silver Member
tank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond reputetank69 has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2013, 07:15 AM

The clear pad is "specially" bonded to the leather tip with no adverse affects to the leather. I got one at the SBE and it hits/feels no different from the non-pad tips. What everyone else has said, all the pad does is block glue from being soaked into the bottom layers of the tip.

Old
  (#12)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member
DAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:

The purpose of the pad on the Kamui clear is to prevent the tip froam soaking up the glue. Not all cuemakers/cue repairmen use the same glues. I've used a "liquid" type CA glue and it soaked straight through an elkmaster before. I've since gone to Loctite Gel and have only had it soak in once.

Just because you haven't seen it, does not mean is hasn't happened before.

Old
  (#13)
buddha162
AzB Silver Member

04-11-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank69 View Post
What everyone else has said, all the pad does is block glue from being soaked into the bottom layers of the tip.
I do wish Kamui would just say this, without all the "Clear Connection" crap in their ads. It addresses a known problem, no need to get all gimmicky.

-roger

Old
  (#14)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

04-11-2013, 08:45 AM

I hit with it a few times witha cue that Sarah Rousey let me use at the Mezz booth at SBE. I have a Kamui Black Super Soft on my cue with Ivory Ferrules. I tried the Kamui Clear Super Soft on a cue with non-ivory ferrules. The hit seemed harder then the black super soft I have had on my cue for at least 6 months. That could have been attributed to many things though (ie shaft, ferrule, how the tip was installed, etc...

TLDR version: The Clear Super Soft hit harder then the Black super soft when I tried it out.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 04-11-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Old
  (#15)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member
DAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha162 View Post
I do wish Kamui would just say this, without all the "Clear Connection" crap in their ads. It addresses a known problem, no need to get all gimmicky.

-roger
That's how marketing works. Add in a silly catchy gimmicky phrase and you've sold more already.

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: